Quantcast

Kids bikes

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
little bugger just turned four and has outgrown his 12" walmart bike. He rode it for two years trouble free, wore out both tires, etc. But it held up.

Do I go for another walmart bike in hopes that it lasts two years, or is there a manufacturer that does a trade up program for kids bikes?

Most likely I want to get him something "bmx" oriented that he can also cruise around on the mountain bike trails with me once in a while. Any suggestions?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maddie rode a 16" walmart bike until both tires were bald, then she stepped up to her first bike shop bike. The beach cruiser was a little more than I wanted to spend, but she loves it.

I would stick to big box store bikes unless you find one used, at least until the 20" phase.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Yeah, kinda figured that's my best bet....it's not like he's actually hard enough on the walmart crap to break it yet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah, kinda figured that's my best bet....it's not like he's actually hard enough on the walmart crap to break it yet.
It's not the breaking of that cheap $hit that worries me - it's the fact that those bikes usually weigh at least 7/8 as much as the kid. Which means riding up any hill is generally going to pi$$ them off.

The "good" kids bike brands aren't really much better, sadly...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
My sons first bike was an electra mini-rod 16". Cool but heavy as hell.
He now has a specialized Hot Rock 20 coaster brake. Very light, he loves it.
My old Supergoose is sitting in the garage waiting for him to grow into it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
My sons first bike was an electra mini-rod 16". Cool but heavy as hell.
He now has a specialized Hot Rock 20 coaster brake. Very light, he loves it.
My old Supergoose is sitting in the garage waiting for him to grow into it.
How much does it weigh? I've got a Trek for my middle kid and it *is* lighter than the little cheap bikes he's owned... but it's still pretty damned heavy.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
How much does it weigh? I've got a Trek for my middle kid and it *is* lighter than the little cheap bikes he's owned... but it's still pretty damned heavy.
Um, no idea but I can ride to his school (1mi) holding it in one hand without issue. The electra was '2 blocks max' heavy (hi-ten frame with iron spokes).

Go check it out. Aluminum frame and either single/coaster or (5sp?) geared.
We paid $250 and can't get the kid off it. It's the best kids bike I could find and since his little bro will get it, I didn't mind spending more.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You could get a real bmx race mini would be light and to be honest some of them aren't to expensive.. DK and Intense have completes.
Dude, you are high on crack. Unless you think $300+ "isn't too expensive" for a kids bike.

I almost got an Intense mini on ebay used for under $200, but scored the Powerlite (see my post in GMT) for $104. Didn't look at the DK's, but Redline, SE Racing, and Intense, were all starting in the $350 range and got up to $800.

A dude at the track said he scored his grand daughters SE Racing Mini Ripper for $100 off Craigs List.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
yeah isn't too expensive is definitely relative.

With as young as he still is I think i am going to go with a walmart special one more time, and then re-evaluate my options when he outgrows that at the time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
yeah isn't too expensive is definitely relative.

With as young as he still is I think i am going to go with a walmart special one more time, and then re-evaluate my options when he outgrows that at the time.
If you're in a decent sized town try to grab something off Craigslist - you'll get a "decent" bike for the price of a new piece of $hit bike. :D

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Specialized kids bikes are all light aluminum. Some Giant and Trek kids bikes are still steel, but many are aluminum. A lighter bike will be more enjoyable to ride, especially if you have any hills in your area.

If you get a bike second-hand or from some place other than a bike shop, be sure to check every bolt and make sure the bike is safe. Wal-mart bikes are often assembled hastily and by just about anyone.

Good luck!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Found a 16" Haro for $95, but can't seem to find what it was new. Walmart bike is only 30 or so bucks cheaper anyway, so I think I may go with this....thoughts?

Attachments

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I wish I could find some actual information on the bike, but the guys ad is pretty vague. Sent him an email, planning on picking it up...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Found a 16" Haro for $95, but can't seem to find what it was new. Walmart bike is only 30 or so bucks cheaper anyway, so I think I may go with this....thoughts?
Seems like it's a good find. Check it out in person, see how heavy it is and then decide. We've been lucky enough to find second-hand bikes for Syd so far and will get her a nice one when she's bigger (20" likely).

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Dude, you are high on crack. Unless you think $300+ "isn't too expensive" for a kids bike.

I almost got an Intense mini on ebay used for under $200, but scored the Powerlite (see my post in GMT) for $104. Didn't look at the DK's, but Redline, SE Racing, and Intense, were all starting in the $350 range and got up to $800.

A dude at the track said he scored his grand daughters SE Racing Mini Ripper for $100 off Craigs List.
Sounds like your arguing yourself? :) You say they are $300+ then give examples where they are not... The DK is $250 brand new -- he said to ride trails with him (hence not wanting a 50lbs mild steel bike), I interpretted that as more than the $80 ride to school leave in the rain kind of bike you get at WalMart.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sounds like your arguing yourself? :) You say they are $300+ then give examples where they are not... The DK is $250 brand new -- he said to ride trails with him (hence not wanting a 50lbs mild steel bike), I interpretted that as more than the $80 ride to school leave in the rain kind of bike you get at WalMart.
Again, I didn't look at DK. I know the Intense and Redlines (or at least the ones I looked at) all started in the $300 range. I'm not flush with cash, so spending more than $100 was not an option until she got to the 20". Just didn't seem like the best use of funds.

Maddie rode trails on her 16" walmart bike, I also used an Adams tag a long for longer rides. She loved it because she went as fast as I did on the downhill sections. We just had to wait for mom to catch up.

<edit> Not sure what DK you found for $250.

DK Bicycles
Tracer Mini
$319.99

Granted, a sweet bike. Now that she is hooked on racing I might have budgeted for a bit more. But even after a few upgrades, I'll still only have $160 into the Powerlite and all the parents are jealous of the retro rig she is rockin'.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
This is what you can get for $80 used:

And I have to say - it's still heavy as hell. :disgust1:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
He's 4, weighs 30lbs, and when I say ride the local trails I mean the "turtle" loop at the local XC trails outside of detroit, mostly packed dirt, a couple "somewhat" rocky sections and some washouts and a couple rooted areas, nothing major for any of us, but of course a challenge for a 4 year old. Anyway, he doesn't ride heavy or hard enough that the walmart bikes can't handle.

The guy got back to me on the haro, I am going to check it out this weekend, seems like it should be exactly what I am looking for, the big question is can I wait until Christmas to give it to him?? Oh, the anticipation is killing me!!

Figure this bike will allow him to ride at the BMX track, around town, off his curbs he likes to jump, and will work for some light mtb trails.

I doubt I will get him on any sort of mountain bike with gear choices until he is closer to 8 or 9?

I can't afford or justify spending any more than $100 on a bike for him at this point.

Last night I picked up a Specialized Fat Boy BMX from a buddy for myself to ride with him at the track, Figure it's a pretty nice bike I can let him ride once he outgrows the Haro and get him his own bike after that depending on where his interests are.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Well after chasing this guy around for over 2 weeks he let me know yesterday the bike sold....so I'm back in the hunt, looking for a decent BMX style bike that will fit him.

Found the mirraco, the lil wildman and the haro so far as good options...but they are certainly hard to find to buy....if anyone has a lead on one please pass it along as I was hoping to do this for Christmas for him.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
You could get a real bmx race mini would be light and to be honest some of them aren't to expensive.. DK and Intense have completes.
+1 My little girl rides a Haro CSX. I paid $80 off CL and spent $70 refurbing. It's fast enough for her to ride trails on. The other kids always want to ride her bike now.

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
My youngest son also had the heavy mongoose bmx style bike until he was big enough to ride a 20" bike. I bought him a 20" specialized hotrock and the difference was incredible. Scott also makes a quality kids bike. I think I paid around 200 for the specialized bike. well worth the money.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
well a fellow monkey was able to hook me up! :) amish_matt had an SE lil wildman. Recieved the bike today and I am stoked, I love the quality of this bike, big kid components on a little kid bike, WAY nicer quality than the walmart bike he has outgrown and the bike was in very good shape. Matt also did a great job packaging it up and sending it to me. I'm as excited as if I had just gotten a new bike for myself. :D

I can't wait for Christmas morning, this kid is going to go crazy :)

Crappy cell phone picture.

Attachments

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
That thing is sweet. Get him some light weight parts for it, and paint it to make it his. You can get good results with spray paint let him pick the color, he'll be stoked.

Last edited:

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
cool lil wildman, cant wait till my niece is riding a bike that size...

you could save a lot of free weight by cutting the hell out of those huge dropouts, and drilling the (presumably steel) chainring heavily!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
cool lil wildman, cant wait till my niece is riding a bike that size...

you could save a lot of free weight by cutting the hell out of those huge dropouts, and drilling the (presumably steel) chainring heavily!
1. I am not an engineer, I know the kid only weighs 30 lbs right now, but I would worry I took out too much material.
2. I hate drilling holes through steel.
3. It's a good idea, but am I really going to save enough weight that a 4 year old who will ride this bike for 2-3 years will even notice?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That thing is sweet. Get him some light weight parts for it, and paint it to make it his. You can get good results with spray paint let him pick the color, he'll be stoked.
Bike off ebay = $100
2 cans of paint = $12
New frame decal kit = $20
A few new parts = $60

The look on her face on Christmas morning = priceless

She picked the color, the rest just came together.

Before:

After:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like the purple chain! I should get Xander man a Yellow chain, did you paint that or buy it that way?
Actually the chain matches the the bike color, but has a little metal flake in it. I bought it that way, I think they had a yellow as well. It was $8.

You can see the yellow one, made by KMC.