Quantcast

Kid's Bikes - for a 12 year old a little over 5 ft...need some suggestions....

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Looking to build or buy a complete bike for a 12 year old. He's about 5'2". This is a kid that is my little brother in the Big Brother program that I volunteer for. I think it would be fun to get him into biking and it's something that we could do for relatively cheap once I get a bike. I am looking on suggestions for bike setups, since I have never really set anything up for someone short. I am 6'1" 225 so all of my bikes are too big for him to ride. I was thinking maybe a hardtail, but open to a fully. I think he would like it, since he loves being outside and active. Tried searching for some setups, but search function doesn't seem to working for me....

Would small size frames be small enough? 24" wheels?

Oct 9, 2006
I built up a bighit for this same situation. The kid I was mentoring was quite as small as this fella but still not a big guy. I built it 26"x24" with a Dual Crown on the front lowered down as far as it could go. He has enjoyed it thoroughly and ripped the heck out of Whistler on it. The big hit spec has decent geometry and doesnt have a crazy amount of travel that will suck up every bit of effort the kid makes to pedal it.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I've built an original Spec big hit grom (the single pivot one) and a Kona Howler (now Bass) for kids about that size, both are on 26" wheels now and they are going faster for it. I would avoid 24" wheels if I could, they catch up on too much and its hard too find suitable tyres. Much more choice in 26" - and reduced wheel mass seems too make the most difference to how they ride. Although I cant get away with single ply tyres for either of them for racing without going tubeless - and I cant be bothered for a kids bike even though all my bikes are tubeless. Of the two - I think the Kona is the better bike - mostly because it has a shorter headtube and that means a much better handlebar height. Getting the suspension to work will involve very light springs and damping, if you can find an original Fox vanilla for the rear it seems too be the gold choice as the damping is so light from standard, air shocks are good from the point of view of being able too get the spring rate right - but I've needed to change the damping oil too something very light to get the damping close enough to right.
The other choice that works well is an original small Santa Cruz Bullet, its actually a 14.5" frame with a nice short top tube and its slack enough with the shock shuttle in the slack position. Also cheap 2nd hand.
There are better choices available (Intense SS, commencal supreme mini, etc) but I couldn't justify the money when in a couple of seasons they will fit a small DH bike.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
What's the difference between the big hit and the big hit spec? I was also thinking about a small bottle rocket, since he would probably be able to ride it for a while. I saw a frame for $500.

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006

specialized bighit grom, it's for rent at the semmering bike park, austria. don't know if this is of any informational value, just wanted to share... :biggrin:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
A kid the same size and age is racing a big hit with Boxxer World Cup on the Grom Racing team. He killed it the other week and the frame seemed to suit him too.

He's the blonde kid in the Grom Racing build video on Vitalmtb.com

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Specialized Gromhit is usually $1650. Specialized has them onsale for $850 right now. My daughter rides one and so does my buddys son.

Ive made a few changes to my daughters and it weighs 31 lbs. They are 34 lbs in stock form.

Last edited:

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
At 5'2" he should fit on a small 26" bike, just sold my son's small bullit.

The Syren is an excellent bike for any short rider.

Matt 891

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Salem, VA
I bought my 12 year old nephew (he is small guy too) a mongoose nugget.

4 inches of travel front and rear. medium frame. i rolled the bars back a bit and slide the SDG ibeam saddle forward.

seems to fit him pretty well. has like 75 lbs in the air shock!!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'd really like to keep it on the budget side for now....the less the better, but definitely under $1000. Won't mind upgrading later if it's something he really enjoys and we can go out and do together.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
We did the same, Little DeViL started on a Norco Shore VPS with 24" wheels

Then he swapped frames due to a cracked chainstay

Then moved to 26" wheels and eventually outgrew the bike

Now the big bike is gone and has become a part time xc racer and full time roadie.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

A size small adult frame and 24" wheels allowed this little Geronimo ripper to step up his game. Big time.
A regular low bb dh frame + 24 inch wheels? Its very easy to mash cranks on my 24 inch hardtail so Im pretty sure his cranks have redefined the meaning of plow rider by now. Or is he using some shorter length cranks? Also legend is a bit more compact than some dh frames out there but with an FR frame you can go much shorter (and with a 1.5 heattube you can put angled cups to still get good geo).

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
A regular low bb dh frame + 24 inch wheels? Its very easy to mash cranks on my 24 inch hardtail so Im pretty sure his cranks have redefined the meaning of plow rider by now. Or is he using some shorter length cranks? Also legend is a bit more compact than some dh frames out there but with an FR frame you can go much shorter (and with a 1.5 heattube you can put angled cups to still get good geo).
Seems to work just peachy for him ;)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

Figured I'd update y'all. Almost bought a small bottlerocket frame off of Manimal, but was a little late. Ended up finding a small Banshee Chapparal frame (04) for a good deal. It's pink, since it was built up as a girls bike, but she is 5'3", so it should be perfect. I think I'm going to surprise him with the frame this weeked and take him with me to the powdecoaters and let him pick out a color....unless he thinks the pink is cool for some reason and wants to keep it. Then I just need to track down some budget parts and get it built up with him.