Quantcast

Kenda tires... mother $%&#er.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I like the nevegal as a rear tire but I find that the front washes out too easy in dry and loose conditions I ride in the summer. I run a minion DHF in front on my DH bike and prowler MX on my trail bike. The tread compound is, for me, a good balance between soft/sticky and relatively durable.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Heck of a contrast considering when I first bought these tires I posted a "think I found the perfect tire" thread and got responses like this:
Original post =

berkshire_rider said:
and when it's wet - hope you like walking...
DTC Kenda's still suck on wet rocks and roots. Absolutely terrible as a rear tire when it's wet.

If you only ride XC in mostly smooth, dry conditions, then they should be fine. If you have rocks and/or thorns on your trails then you'll see why all the comments about thin sidewalls are posted.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Ritchey Zmax 2.35.

:monkey:
I hope you aren't serious, those are the most terrible, most squirmy tires I have ever had the displeasure of running. Never again. I even cut them down in an attempt to lose the side knob squirm, no success. Michelin All Terrain XT in single ply 2.20 (closer to a 2.35 by other brands) for the winter slop and Kenda Small Block 8 in a 2.35 for dry dusty summer type conditions. As for the DH bike, I have been running the new Continental Der Kaiser tire for about a 2 months in varying conditions. Very impressed, and I didn't think anything could ever come close to the performance of 2 Minion DHF 3C's but I was wrong again.

That being said I just picked up 2 sets of Minion 3C's, 1 set of High Roller 3C's and a pair of Super Tacky WetScreams for next year, Maxxis, FTW. I will continue to run Kenda Nevegals and Conti Kaisers on my practice wheelset, but my racing wheelset will always be clad in Maxxis rubber.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I've been running Stans on my UST Kenda Karmas for two years now with n'er a problem. I know you can't return them if you use sealants but I've never had to.
On the non-UST versions, they specifically texture the sidewall to prevent them from being run tubeless.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I've used non-UST Nevegals with Stans on my Crossmax XLs. No problems for me.
Do yours have these ridges on them? The ones Kenda specifically put on their non-UST tires because they were worried that Stan's lack of liability insurance would transfer liability to the tire manufacturer in case of a lawsuit?

Attachments

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Do yours have these ridges on them? The ones Kenda specifically put on their non-UST tires because they were worried that Stan's lack of liability insurance would transfer liability to the tire manufacturer in case of a lawsuit?
Those grooves were there long before we can along. They have to do with bonding the chafer strip to rubber. Rough guess but I've setup hundreds of Kenda tires over the years and while those are common leak points it does not prevent tubeless conversion by any stretch.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yep. They've got those ridges, but the lip that seals is below them. It was a little tough getting them to seal with a hand pump, but easy with a compressor.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Those grooves were there long before we can along. They have to do with bonding the chafer strip to rubber. Rough guess but I've setup hundreds of Kenda tires over the years and while those are common leak points it does not prevent tubeless conversion by any stretch.
Well no amount of stan's fluid would seal those tires (kenda nevegal 2.35 DTC folding) to those rims (easton havoc) without a really disproportionate amount of effort, patience, and mess. Got the bead to seat, no problem but it continued to bubble and leak out of literally dozens of places and generally bleed through those ridges everywhere. Over the course of a few hours of shaking and spinning I finally was able to get them to seal even though it was messy. I gave up when both tires also had pinhole leaks in the casing.

Heard the story about liability from two independent sources. May or may not be true.

I'm not bagging on Stan's. I'm saying that non-UST Kenda's are **** for converting to tubeless (in my anecdotal experience with two tires).

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Maxxis tires have the same ridges. It has nothing to do with Stan's.
Kenda tires in general are harder to seat tubeless because they come from the factory shaped like a taco.