Quantcast

Keeping the feet warm?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but anyway...

I've been riding in winter for a long time and can never seem to keep my feet warm. My mom has bad circulation and I think I may follow her there. I can ride about 1.5-2 hrs in sub freezing temps before my feet start to hurt and I can barely move my toes. Winter temps are usually in the 20s and sometimes 30s here. I don't mind it too much, but I'd like to ride longer since the rest of my body is completely fine.

Last time I went out I wore my regular shoes (Nike Carnerso) and two pairs of wool socks (a lighter pair and a pair of heavy Smartwool Adrenalines) along with booties. Today I wore light ski socks, Sealskinz waterproof socks, booties and my DH clipless shoes (Adidas Plush). Wasn't much better.

I want to keep using clipless, so I'd rather not use boots and flats, even though that might solve the problem. I've been looking at winter shoes, heated insoles and a few other things, all of which have drawbacks and can be expensive. The less I spend the better, though I could probably justify one of those options.

Any ideas or experience here?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
One thing i have found is over-layer the legs....maybe leg warmers under fleece lined tights......then i always wear moto shorts, help keep the the mid area warm and does a good job....

On the feet.....sounds like you got it covered. I wear polypro liners, wool socks and then shoe covers (the thick ones)...

I have no problem down into the mid teens....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The key is might not be adding more insulation but using less. I used to have the same problems but found that using multiple pairs of socks restricted circulation and made things worse. Try one layer of nice wool socks and just taping up any vent holes in the shoe.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
The key is might not be adding more insulation but using less. I used to have the same problems but found that using multiple pairs of socks restricted circulation and made things worse. Try one layer of nice wool socks and just taping up any vent holes in the shoe.
:stupid:

Too many layers can cause problems. I use thicker cycling socks, and regular shoes....I took an old pair of wool socks and cut them as a 1st layer shoe cover and then I wear my big booties over the top of the socks. The wool socks help cover the vents on the shoes. I use these booties:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24344&subcategory_ID=1344

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
dam, now you tell me. both days this weekedn my toes froze and i mean froze! layers: ankle hanes sport socks, gizmo cycling socks in the middle, pi on the outside and didn;t even think to tape up those vents and although i really liked how much more volume of the shoe my foot now possed with the three layers on, my feet were numb for practically all of both rides, granted i did get to that point where i couldn't even notice them missing in action at all and just rode along little doggy.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
funny how it's not quite the same with the upper layers as i had on six in total, one short sleeve athletic wear, two long sleeves over that, a hanes soft cotton long sleeve pull over, a sugoi jersey and then me orange colonel's jersey on the outside. that was sundays wardrobe as saturday gave me the inclining to get ready for it.

it had to be done.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
A pair of winter shoes is totally worth it. Not just for the added warmth, but for the added space. More socks=more pressure. If your shoes are too snug in the winter, your feet will be cold.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
:stupid:

Too many layers can cause problems. I use thicker cycling socks, and regular shoes....I took an old pair of wool socks and cut them as a 1st layer shoe cover and then I wear my big booties over the top of the socks. The wool socks help cover the vents on the shoes. I use these booties:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24344&subcategory_ID=1344
So do those run true to size? My big problem is that I wear size 50(14us) and most covers are too small(too tight).

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Just for the record:

Have tried many booties over the years.

Got Trek ones for christmas last year.....very easy to put on. No more yanking and trying to force my foot into them, basically you step into them and then pull the giant flap over...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A pair of winter shoes is totally worth it. Not just for the added warmth, but for the added space. More socks=more pressure. If your shoes are too snug in the winter, your feet will be cold.

If you don't want to spend the coin a cheap pair of shoes one size larger works well.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Just for the record:

Have tried many booties over the years.

Got Trek ones for christmas last year.....very easy to put on. No more yanking and trying to force my foot into them, basically you step into them and then pull the giant flap over...
Thanks for the responses everyone. Funnily enough, I do use Trek booties. They are a few years old, but are definitely easy to get on. Do booties really help keep things warm that much? They never seemed particularly effective to me besides as a wind/water blocking layer. Plus, they don't help at all with cold from the bottom of the shoe and through the cleat plate, which is a problem (my foot goes numb there).

As far as having enough space in the shoe, this is something I'm aware of. That's one reason I used my DH shoes- they are bigger and roomier than my regular ones. I may try going a little lighter next time, but I really doubt it will help much. I wear less in the spring and sometimes have similar problems.

I guess I'll start keeping an eye out on ebay and such for winter shoes.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
So, just to update this, I bought a pair of winter shoes off of Loco. These: http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/shoes/road/product.-code-SH-RW80.-type-.html

Hadn't gotten a chance to use them until today due to work and weather (been relegated to the trainer recently). I did about 2.5 hours today after work. Temps were in the 40s when I started and probably mid-30s when I finished after it got dark. I wore one pair of medium thickness wool socks and one pair of thin cycling socks, no booties. My feet didn't feel cold in the least at any point. So, even though it wasn't that cold, the shoes did well and I can easily fit more socks and put booties over them if they need it. Stiffness, fit and all that were good. I was worried they'd be too big (they are a 45; I usually am more like a 44, sometimes smaller) but they are fine with thick socks and leave plenty of room in the toebox without any unwanted looseness or heel lift.

I probably would have preferred a mountain sole, but these were cheap so I'm not complaining. I almost never ride in the snow in winter anyway and if I do flats are a better idea. Still, the sole is crazy slippery. I never realized how ridiculous it is with road shoes because I've always just bought one nice pair of mountain shoes and run SPDs on all my bikes- never had road shoes before. I almost fell down the freaking stairs coming out of my apartment carrying my bike.