Quantcast

keeping a spare frame or...

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
ok so i have my hard tail for when I go riding at my local trails. what I mean by local are; trails that are behind schools and libraries and are basically just like 1/2-2 miles of trails. I ride my hard tail there and to be honest I'm not really a fan of hard tails and was thinking about saving up for a DH FR rig. maybe a SS bike. something that is in between XC and the good stuff. but after thinking, I realized that the big squishy bike would only be good for actual trails, like whistler and trails of that sort. since I dont drive, I bike to my trails currently, and I wouldn't be able to ride enough to make my moneys worth and having a big bike like that at my trails is sorta overkill. although if i got a big bike I would find people to ride with. should I:

• Buy a suspension frame and switch out the parts between frames to match the terrain
  • Sell my hard tail and buy a SS bike for all around use
  • Keep the hard tail and buy a complete bike
  • or make my hard tail better and buy newer components, and upgrade stuff like fork, brakes, etc.

I was leaning on spending the money on my hard tail and make it better since I ride mellow trails like 90% of the time, and I can get away with it so far on my current bike. not to mention a hard tail is MUCH easier to ride on pavement, and easier for long bike rides, and less maintenance, which is all what I need, and not to forget it's cheaper. S**T looks like I'm answering my own question! lol.sorry guys. i guess I want advice on what to do more then an answer... Duh haha.

Last edited:

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
I was picturing buying another complete DH rig and using that for when I go out and when and if I build some big jumps at my trails, then I can use my hard tail as a lighter trail bike for easier riding. idk.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
Edited for clarity and grammar:

I have my hard tail for riding 1/2-2 miles of trails behind local schools and libraries. I ride my hard tail there but I’m not really a fan of hard tails and was considering saving up for a DH/FR bike or SS. I am reconsidering as I realized that the big squishy bike would only be good for actual trails, like whistler and trails of that sort. I bike to my trails currently, and I wouldn't be able to ride a DH bike enough to see a return on my investment. On the other hand, buying a DH bike might allow me to ride DH with the amazing people I will meet. Here are my three options currently:
  • Buy a suspension frame and switch out the parts between frames to match the terrain
  • Sell my hard tail and buy a SS bike for all around use
  • Keep the hard tail and buy a complete bike