Quantcast

Kayak Storage

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Alright, i need some homemade kayak storage ideas. I want to suspend two 10' long boats from my garage ceiling. I have seen the pulley kits but i would rather crap my own pants than pay $140 ($70 per boat) for 2 pulley wheels, some stamped sheet metal, and some rope. Any ideas. I cant find any clear pictures of how the commercial pulley systems work.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
park the cars in the street and leave the boats on the floor of the garage.

:)

Our whitewater trailer and two catarafts take up one stall in our garage.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
PsychO!1 said:
Screw the kayak pulley systems, I bought the bike pulley systems from performance for $30. I've got a 16' and an 18' sea kayak hanging in the rafters right now.
:stupid: I've got two 17' kayaks suspended from my garage ceiling using the bike pulleys as well.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Does it have to be a facny pulley system?

I've got a 12.5' and an 11' boat hanging in my garage. I bought 4 utility hooks from the hardware store and some rope. I screwed the hooks into the ceiling (making sure they hit studs behind the sheetrock), then tied the ropes so they formed "cradles" for the boats to hang in. The cradles have loops at either end, so I can slip the rope on/off the hooks as necssary.

I can take a pic tonight if you want. Not the most glamerous, but I think I spent all of about $20 on it, and with a step ladder, I can take the boats down/put them up by myself.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I used a couple of heavy duty screw eyes from Home Depot, and put a couple of Caribiners throug as the pulleys. the boats I am using aren't that heavy so it worked well. I also tied a loop in the rope that I could hook to another "beener" (that was anchored to the wall). this kept the boat at the same height every time. I could pull the one end of the boat up, hook the rope up. then go to the other end and do the same.

worked great!

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Thanks for the ideas. Storing on the floor is just not gonna happen. They take up to much space and the garage is used as a workshop. I thought about a wall rack but once again i don't want to take up 10' of wall that could be better served as shelving or cabinets.

brungeman said:
I used a couple of heavy duty screw eyes from Home Depot, and put a couple of Caribiners throug as the pulleys. the boats I am using aren't that heavy so it worked well. I also tied a loop in the rope that I could hook to another "beener" (that was anchored to the wall). this kept the boat at the same height every time. I could pull the one end of the boat up, hook the rope up. then go to the other end and do the same.

worked great!
That is a really good idea. I think i will give it a go and see what i can rig together.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got mine hanging in my 'rents garage. A couple hooks screwed into the rafters and use the 5$ autolock slings from LL Bean that I use to lash it to my roof rack. No knots, no fuss no muss.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
splat said:
Mine Just sit in the backyard !
That's what got me to move them into the garage. The kayaks sat in a lean-to for a few months (weathers been nice and i would rather ride my bike :) ) I pulled them out yesterday to make sure everything was alright and found a mouse nest in one and a gnarly wasp nest in the other. The last thing i want is to slip into my boat, seal up a spray skirt, paddle to the middle of a lake, and find out i have some pissed off wasps trapped in with my jangly bits.:dead:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Booker said:
That's what got me to move them into the garage. The kayaks sat in a lean-to for a few months (weathers been nice and i would rather ride my bike :) ) I pulled them out yesterday to make sure everything was alright and found a mouse nest in one and a gnarly wasp nest in the other. The last thing i want is to slip into my boat, seal up a spray skirt, paddle to the middle of a lake, and find out i have some pissed off wasps trapped in with my jangly bits.:dead:
bwahahaaaaa :rofl: yep it was made for stingin not being stung!