Quantcast

Just curious - How much does a Stratos 6o7 weigh?

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
I am wondering how much the Stratos 6o7 AND MX-6 weighs :confused: (hopefully less than 7 lbs). I can't find any specs on the internet that mentions the weight of these two forks. :rolleyes: I am looking to drop the weight of my bike to under 40 lbs for urban/freeriding/light DH riding since I will be moving to Atlanta, Georgia area in two months (right now its at 42). The current setup right now is awesome on so cal trails, but it will be a little overkill in the rolling hills of the Atlanta area where shuttling isn't really a luxury. I intend to keep the bike and try and get it setup right for that type of terrain.

Here is the setup: '01 Ells Dare w/ DH chainstays, Fox Vanilla RC, Marzocchi Shiver DC (9 lbs w/ integrated steerer), Chris Kings w/ Mavic D321s, Maxxis H-R 2.7, Raceface Northshores, e.13 Chainguide, cheapo Shimano BB (UN-52 tank) gives a total w8 of 42 lbs.
Here is what I plan to do:
(1) Drop the tire size to anywhere b/w 2.5 - 2.3 range;
(2) Convert the wheels to tubeless (Stan's tubeless);
(3) Pick up a lighter BB (ti spindle)
(4) Swap out my steel spring with a titanium spring
(5) Possibly pick up a lighter triple crown OR single crown fork.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
if it weighs anything similer to their forks that share the same platform, about 8lbs.

(my MX6 was about 8lbs)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Maybe wait for the new Boxxer with U-turn if you can? Or will it not be available until after you need it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
how about you forget buying the retarded $$ parts that dont really save weight (ie: ti spring, ti bottom bracket etc) and simply get a nice light wheelset and a decent fork. That stratos is a rolling pile of trash man, use the $200 you would blow on a ti spring to get a nice wheelset and fork.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Why don't you just get a new wheelset. Lighter rotating weight is gonna make the most difference and its alot more worth it than say a ti spring, even tho they are pimp that little weight doesnt make much difference unless say you get all ti parts- bolts, spring, bb, etc...

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Thanks a bunch for the posts....y'all rock! :thumb: :thumb: I've been beating around the bushes for a bit in terms of trying to get my rig setup for the east coast type of riding.

I've had bad luck with the rims and wheels, and I totally ripped nipples out of the rims on my front rim as well as experiencing "tacoed" wheels. I had Mavic F-519s which, *supposingly*, are freeride specific rims (as claimed by Mavic) - BS! Really, the rims are a heap of aluminum junk, so instead of shelling out hard earned $$ on more freeride rims, I went with the d321s because I don't want to be stuck on the mountain with my rim flopping around on the wheel... and having to deal with a hungry mountain lion lurking in the area for a pissed off piece of meat. :D

If I were to build a new 32 hole f & r wheelset with my Kings... what rims do y'all suggest besides the d321's? I am by nature a light (150 lbs) and aggressive rider who has a real urge to go fast down rock gardens and hardpack trails. Also, I have a 8" disc rotor on the front, so I cannot have any weak rims (e.g., XC based rims, F-519s)! :nope: I normally don't do jumps greater than 6' to 7' high.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Just go tubless on your 321's If you are running DH tubes you will save pounds of rotating mass. StansNoTubes kits might be for you

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
I second the 521's...awesome rims, lighter than the 321's by a lot, and almost as strong. What about a Slider Plus for a new fork? Under 7lbs. and a lot of people here have had good luck with them.