Quantcast

Just came in...2009 E13 LG1+

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
As for price, I think it is pretty impressive that the new versions of the E*13 guides are the same as the old versions (big investment in moulding!) as well as their competetors that are using much less expensive mfg processes.
Thanks for that, we try! 100% USA made too! That doesn't make things any easier (to compete against 100% Taiwan / China manufacturing) for sure..

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
almost like you have a really tiny shock absorber on the bashguard.
Oh noes,
now we are going to see the "Am I getting full travel out of my bashguard?" threads.

Ha, again, I will state that I think it was smart to offer the LG1+ where it works with a 32t ring. Combine that up with an e13 32t guide ring and that is a super light setup for a trail bike. More and more riders are using 1x9 gearing now for trail especially those 29er freaks. That could open up a new market.:thumb:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Oh noes,
now we are going to see the "Am I getting full travel out of my bashguard?" threads.

Ha, again, I will state that I think it was smart to offer the LG1+ where it works with a 32t ring. Combine that up with an e13 32t guide ring and that is a super light setup for a trail bike. More and more riders are using 1x9 gearing now for trail especially those 29er freaks. That could open up a new market.:thumb:
I just set one up for my wife's cousin using a 32T ring on a MKIII about 30 minutes ago actually!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Thanks for that, we try! 100% USA made too! That doesn't make things any easier (to compete against 100% Taiwan / China manufacturing) for sure..
Simply the truth...3D multi part mouldings, custom captured hardware, and multi tool machining is VERY different than cut out flat sheets of material and stock hardware.....

BTW, on the posted instructions, granny boss removal is shown. Have you guys ever run into a correct set up that actually required this?? I have mounted just about every possible combination of e*13 guides (LG1, SRS, DRS, STS) on a bunch of cranks (Saint, XT, Atlas, Diabolus, 68, 73, and 83mm), and have never seen the need.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Simply the truth...3D multi part mouldings, custom captured hardware, and multi tool machining is VERY different than cut out flat sheets of material and stock hardware.....

BTW, on the posted instructions, granny boss removal is shown. Have you guys ever run into a correct set up that actually required this?? I have mounted just about every possible combination of e*13 guides (LG1, SRS, DRS, STS) on a bunch of cranks (Saint, XT, Atlas, Diabolus, 68, 73, and 83mm), and have never seen the need.
I've seen it once or twice on a few random cranksets on the 2008 and earlier guides, but for the most part, the original systems didn't require granny tab removal. For the new systems, we went to a 5mm thick backplate for increased stiffness, and this might require granny tab removal on some cranks, but no more so than any other system on the market.

BTW, for anyone reading, the easiest way that we've found to remove granny tabs is to use a large drill bit. It takes all of 30 seconds to take off all 4 tabs. A little crude, but man, is it effective..

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
what's used for the tensioner wheel? is it a softish compound pulley like my old DRS had? is it a toothed cog somewhat like a rear der jockey wheel? and how quiet is this thing?

dig the design and the improvements for sure. nice work dw.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
The Tech3 roller is the same physical shape as the Tech2 roller that came with all 06 and later guides.

We changed up the material to somthing that is MUCH more durable over the long term. It is a little bit more costly on our end, but overall we feel this is definately worth it. The overall roller noise is the exact same as the Tech2 material (we had a few "listening" sessions).

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
The Tech3 roller is the same physical shape as the Tech2 roller that came with all 06 and later guides.

We changed up the material to somthing that is MUCH more durable over the long term. It is a little bit more costly on our end, but overall we feel this is definately worth it. The overall roller noise is the exact same as the Tech2 material (we had a few "listening" sessions).
Thanks Phil. My DRS was an 05. The stepped pulley wheel was very quiet and only seemed to get worn quickly by a certain chain lube -- TriFlow, if I remember right.

I just put a Gamut P20 on my trail bike and while I really like the chain tension, the roller's noise is a bit odd, especially since my other bike is a quiet singlespeed. I can't afford to get the new LG1 you guys are making, but I would if I had the spare $$$$.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Does anyone know which chainring bolts work with the new SRS+?
Old SRS 15 mm bolts are too long, XT/Saint chainring bolts too short. I am especially concerned that I can't seem to find a nut that is long enough to give the Supercharger some support. Currently it sits on ~1 mm of the XT nut and is held on the crank with the old 15 mm SRS bolt. Don't think this setup will take a substantial impact. :disgust1:
BTW: rest of the setup is e13 guidering on an last generation XT crankset.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
SRS+ chainring bolts...

The original Supercharger utilized custom 15mm chainring bolts.

We specifically designed the new Turbocharger bashguard to work with the stock chainring bolts on Shimano, Truvativ, RaceFace, and FSA cranksets. The stock chainring bolts on these cranks are roughly 10mm in length (8mm of threads). You might have issues with "single" ring chainring bolts, but these aren't terribly common on MTB cranksets, so go with the "double" size.

Some gold alloy ones would be blingin...

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Does anyone know which chainring bolts work with the new SRS+?
Old SRS 15 mm bolts are too long, XT/Saint chainring bolts too short. I am especially concerned that I can't seem to find a nut that is long enough to give the Supercharger some support. Currently it sits on ~1 mm of the XT nut and is held on the crank with the old 15 mm SRS bolt. Don't think this setup will take a substantial impact. :disgust1:
BTW: rest of the setup is e13 guidering on an last generation XT crankset.
I would think that as long as you have some of the chainring nut supporting the bash you are fine. It really just needs to overlap a little and then the bolt pressure will keep everything kosher. I would probably use the XT bolts as well assuming you have sufficient thread overlap. Then again, I would use a DH crank and not a cross country crank on my DH bike :busted: Kidding, kidding.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
SRS+ chainring bolts...

Our Turbocharger sleeves are 6mm thick. I have a set of 10mm FSA chainring bolts on one of my rigs that I measured up at 10.65mm and a little less for the sleeve.

Our chainrings are roughly 3.55mm thick, and our chainring + some FSA Gravity crank tabs are 6.88mm thick. With about 13mm span that the sleeve/chainring/crank tabs/Turbocharger/Bolt need to cover, all 8mm or 10mm chainring bolts should work. Some cranksets such as the new 09 Saints have 5mm thick tabs on them, which would just require the 10mm bolts to work out ok (and I think the gold Saint CRB’s would still work).

A “single” ring chainring bolt wont work, and a “double” chainring bolt will.

Some gold alloy ones would be blingin...
Thanks! For some reason I can't seem to find 10 mm bolts + nuts on QBP??? :bonk:
And the bolts I tried are double ring XT and old Saint (dual ring + bash). With them the threads don't even overlap. I now have some 15 mm on order and will grind them down.

Dogboy, according to everybody on here the Socom is a "long travel trail bike", so I think the XT cranks match it pretty good. :twitch: :imstupid:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
BTW, for anyone reading, the easiest way that we've found to remove granny tabs is to use a large drill bit. It takes all of 30 seconds to take off all 4 tabs. A little crude, but man, is it effective..
You know what's cruder? Explosives! It takes even less time and is even more effective at removing the tabs...only problem is that it blows up the crank too...but at least it's fun to watch!!

-ska todd

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hey guys,
Just thought I'd mention (since I know a few of you may be waiting)...QBP has the white LG1+ in stock. Sweet.

Hope everyone can get out riding this weekend!
-philip :busted:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Thanks! For some reason I can't seem to find 10 mm bolts + nuts on QBP??? :bonk:
And the bolts I tried are double ring XT and old Saint (dual ring + bash). With them the threads don't even overlap. I now have some 15 mm on order and will grind them down.

Dogboy, according to everybody on here the Socom is a "long travel trail bike", so I think the XT cranks match it pretty good. :twitch: :imstupid:
hrmmmmm.. Interesting.., We tried a bunch of different stock chainring nut / bolt combinations when we were designing the Turbocharger and didn't find many stock parts that wouldn't fit. The Turbocharger uses inserts so that we could get away with using stock (shorter) chainring nuts and bolts to mount to the cranks. We tried current model stock units from FSA, Raceface, Shimano, and Truvativ and all fit. I'm sure that there are random combinations over the years that may not be perfect, but we'll look into that for you!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
You know what's cruder? Explosives! It takes even less time and is even more effective at removing the tabs...only problem is that it blows up the crank too...but at least it's fun to watch!!

-ska todd
That's a very good point Todd ;)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm sure that there are random combinations over the years that may not be perfect, but we'll look into that for you!
I wouldn't exactly call FC-M760 XTs or last model Saints with e.13 guiderings "random combinations". :twitch:
Love the SRS+ nevertheless. Superlight and fits the frame much better than the old SRS.
Now if you only would release a dual slalom specific guide along the lines of an LG1+ without a taco.....

Last edited:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Now if you only would release a dual slalom specific guide along the lines of an LG1+ without a taco.....
Wouldn't it be easy enough to buy an SRS+ and then call up e13 and buy a spare upper LG1+ plastic piece and not use the bash? With CS as good as theirs i bet it could be done.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
@ dw/phil:

I'm very interested in ditching my current chain-guide to run either the SRS+ or LG1+. However, my frame (2002 Turner DHR) uses the older, dead, ISCG standard (Revision A). Only 1 of the holes on a standard ISCG guide lines up with the tab mounts on my frame.

And since you guys don't make a BB-flange mount backplate...

I have to buy the ISCG-05 version of one of your new guides, right? (since those are the only ones that come with a BB-flange mount adapter)

Is there a more 'elegant' way to go about doing this? (i.e. not using that stupid adapter piece) If I'm forced to use that adapter, does that leave me unable to mount the Taco bashguard then?

Thanks.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Monday morning bump.
Hopefully somebody at e.13 can help me out.
We're working on it for you Ray, fitting an LG1+ or SRS+ might not be possible, but the second gen SRS from 2002 had the A standard in the backplate. We could bolt up 2008 LG1 or SRS plastics to that and it would work perfectly. Now we need to rummage around and find a backplate for you. Keep in touch with Philip over e-mail and we'll see what we can do for you.

Thanks,

Dave

Dean W

Chimp
Nov 26, 2008
hrmmmmm.. Interesting.., We tried a bunch of different stock chainring nut / bolt combinations when we were designing the Turbocharger and didn't find many stock parts that wouldn't fit. The Turbocharger uses inserts so that we could get away with using stock (shorter) chainring nuts and bolts to mount to the cranks. We tried current model stock units from FSA, Raceface, Shimano, and Truvativ and all fit. I'm sure that there are random combinations over the years that may not be perfect, but we'll look into that for you!
I also ran into the same issue of the chain ring bolts not having any thread overlap.

I have a 2009 SRS+ 32-36. On FSA Gravity light cranks. Standard 2 ring chain bolts that I had used on a standard 32T ring and Raceface Bash could not be used on the SRS+ bash because the bash is too thick at the hole.

I looked in the box for some hardware, but nothing was provided. I had some chain ring bolts from a 2005 SRS that were far too long and would require spacers, so I took a pipe cutter to them and cut about 5mm off the extra long '05 SRS bolts. After a little filing everything fit, but I was a little miffed that chainring bolts were not included at this price given that the SRS is much thicker than standard hardware can accommodate.

If you would like pictures and documentation of exactly what I am referring to, please let me know. I can get it to you within a day.

Later.

PS - Brilliant guide and easy as pie to install (except the bash).

Last edited:

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
We're working on it for you Ray, fitting an LG1+ or SRS+ might not be possible, but the second gen SRS from 2002 had the A standard in the backplate. We could bolt up 2008 LG1 or SRS plastics to that and it would work perfectly. Now we need to rummage around and find a backplate for you. Keep in touch with Philip over e-mail and we'll see what we can do for you.

Thanks,

Dave
Hell yes!!

:clapping:

davidb

Chimp
Sep 14, 2008
any actual LBS' getting these in stock this week? I ordered one through my LBS but they have no clue when they're coming in obviously.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Im just waiting for the black guide to come in. Im trying to black out my bike, its gonig to look sick though.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
any actual LBS' getting these in stock this week? I ordered one through my LBS but they have no clue when they're coming in obviously.
If you are in the USA, than any shop that has a QBP or BTI account (which is pretty much all shops) should be able to get them right now!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Would there be any problem running the 36-40 tooth LG1+ with a 34 tooth ring? I am running a 36 tooth ring and will probably try something bigger soon but it would be nice to go back to a 34 tooth ring for the very occasional winter ride when I have to pedal uphill too.

If that's not doable maybe I'll just have to get the bigger one and then build a smaller bike and ride more often in the winter to justify it. :D

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The concept of using a "taco" type design in a chainguide is currently pending patent for e.thirteen. It's our opinion that e.thirteen is the only company in cycling with a pending or granted patent portfolio that covers this type of technology. e.thirteen's applications significanly predate product offerings from other companies. Feel free to look up the patent applications and read them yourself. It's public information. Personally if I was you, I'd just go ride bikes though, it's a lot more fun than reading about patents!