1. Bros of the guys at SC
2. Local SC bike shops
3. Race teams/ Grassroots sponsorship
4. Stock frames for other bike shops
5. special order from bike shops
6. Warranty
7. Kooks who are picky about godamned colors :think:
8. Canadians ;)

Who wants a white-goddamned bike anyway? It's like, TOTALLY last year. Black ano IS the new white.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Granted I picked up my V10 on ep through the shop I work for but ......I waited over a month for a frame they had IN STOCK. My credit card was processed the day I ordered the frame. I got the bill before the frame. It took 5 weeks for my instock frame to show up - get this - COD. So, upon advice of the ups dude and talking to sc, wrote them a check and then cancelled it with the bank. That cost something like $30, but I just wanted to ride. SC said they would ship me some schwag to make up for it - its been over a year and I haven't seen it.

On the plus side, I love this bike and nothing aside from maybe the new one would make me want to get ride of it. I've owned superlights and ride a blur as the xc and I'm happier than ever riding it. The guys are nice to deal with, its just a pain to have to wait or tell customers that their bike isn't there months after its eta.

side track. There is a dude who works for trek named jason who sounds identical to the jason who was at SC - its not but they both put up with the where's my bike crap very well.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
It is the same majestic color as you're svelte Arcadian-mobile.

The ever illustrious Transgender Blue

This is how I ordered it:
ME "I want a V-10"
SCB "Waht color?"
ME "Luke n' Duke Orange"
SCB "We have gay-blue"
ME "OKAY, I want to ride."

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
El_Chimichanga said:
:eek:
I would have taken the black ano in a heart-beat If I ahd been in your position.

'nuff said.
As I said, if I'd known it'd be this long for the white, I likely would have taken the black ano, or just dropped the order all together and bought a DHR. But when I was PROMISED by santa Cruz that the White would be in my hands within 2 weeks, I passed on the black. SEE?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
El_Chimichanga said:

ME "I want a V-10"
SCB "Waht color?"
ME "Luke n' Duke Orange"
SCB "We have gay-blue"
ME: "Hey, I'm spending over 1G on a frame"
ME: "You better get me the foking color I want!!"
ME: "Capish?"

:p

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
El_Chimichanga said:

ME "I want a V-10"
SCB "Waht color?"
ME "Luke n' Duke Orange"
SCB "We have gay-blue"
Me in early April: I hear you guys have the new V10's ready to ship after Sea Otter?
SC:yep
Me: all colors?
SC: yep
Me: what's msrp?
SC:Not sure, but we'll figure it out after Sea Otter.
Me: OK, whatever, I don't care...so I won't have to wait till Summer for this frame?
SC:nope
Me: OK, because I bought a V10 from you in October that I'm selling to someone else and I don't want to have a whole summer without my new bike
SC: Yep

-Cut to Tuesday after Sea Otter-

LBS: SC says 2 weeks
LBS: SC says 2 more weeks
LBS: SC says 2 more weeks
LBS: SC says not till July at the earliest, which really means later in the Summer.
Me: WTF?
LBS: I'm sorry
Me: Not your fault, but FVCK!

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
El Jefe said:
Me: OK, whatever, I don't care...so I won't have to wait till Summer for this frame?
SC:nope
Me: OK, because I bought a V10 from you in October that I'm selling to someone else and I don't want to have a whole summer without my new bike
SC: Yep
Well, that is pretty sh*tty.
Your fleet of white bikes is going to look sick tho, so it's totally worth teh wait. :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Did you try telling them that your were the boss? Maybe if they knew who they were dealing with...aw hell, I don't know...ask for a damn demo bike to tide you over. it's worth a shot.

El_Chimichanga said:
It is very cool to live in SC. MAybe almost as cool as the coolest place on earth. We all line up on Ocean street on the weekends and throw tomatos and cabbage at the cars driving into town. We scream "Go home Valleys!!" and then break out the slingshots & frozen paintballs.

NO, not really. But it is a chill place to live and I think a lot of people get really excited about the bikes that SC make. Have you ever heard of Hawaiian time? Well, SC as a city has a similar attitude. Not really a big reason to stress out, man. .
well, hate to say this but santa cruz is turing into another valley town, gradually but clearly.
the thing i didn't like about growing up in santa cruz is that the "mellow" and "chill" people were sometimes real nasty folk to non-bros. the kids who rode for sc in my school were bunch of yuppy as*holes who now go to Stanford because they claim they have minority blood in them. :o:
it can be a real crappy town to be in if you moved away from it teporarily and lose touch with your friends, with the snobby valley kids who moved there and now are the "locals".

I can't afford to live there in the future, cuz i ain't got a trust fund to pay for my rent and food and bikes. the people who will stay are the rich folks from else where. go figure. go figure.

i don't know if you are a loca all your life or not but i remember things were soooo much more chill 6, 7 years back. now it's just overpriced houses everywhere and the kids playing gangster rap and drive around in their brand new cars with a surf board on top. that makes me puke.

yeah this is a rant. but not exageration:D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I feel you man, I grew up in the valley (Mortgage Hill) moved to Tahoe and the Santa Barbara and eventually S.C. for work. So although I am not a loc' I did spend a fair amount of time over here over the years. It used to be more "core" and has become different with rising home values etc. But to say it started over the past few years is an understatement, it pretty much started when UCSC came about in the late 60's I think. College's turn small towns into college towns and S.C. is no exception. There is a lot of mommy & daddy money floating around this and all "hip" college towns. Luckily though rent has come down since the peak about a year or so ago and is somewhat more affordable than S.B. was when I left there. And there are more 'burbs in the S.C. area that are somewhat reasonably priced. If you want a place to crash here for a few nights to ride/surf/whatever, hit me up, I got a long couch!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Acadian said:
sure.....I had to wait FOREVER for mine. The only way I ended up getting one is I decided to get a different color, not the one I had originally picked. :(
Agreed....sponsorship doesn't get the bike there any faster (unless your Marla or Kathy of course!). Gal on our team ordered her white V10 in Jan last year and didn't get it until April. She was a bit perturbed when I ordered mine in late Feb and had it by the end of the week, but I got lucky and they had one returned from a dealer that was the size and color I wanted so it shipped out the next day. My other two SC's I've ordered were not the original colors I wanted, but instead of waiting a month or more for that color I just went with what they had in stock.

punkassean said:
I feel you man, I grew up in the valley (Mortgage Hill) moved to Tahoe and the Santa Barbara and eventually S.C. for work. So although I am not a loc' I did spend a fair amount of time over here over the years. It used to be more "core" and has become different with rising home values etc. But to say it started over the past few years is an understatement, it pretty much started when UCSC came about in the late 60's I think. College's turn small towns into college towns and S.C. is no exception. There is a lot of mommy & daddy money floating around this and all "hip" college towns. Luckily though rent has come down since the peak about a year or so ago and is somewhat more affordable than S.B. was when I left there. And there are more 'burbs in the S.C. area that are somewhat reasonably priced. If you want a place to crash here for a few nights to ride/surf/whatever, hit me up, I got a long couch!
thanks bro, my parents still live there, but i don't know for how long. our neighborhood is getting taken over by the yuppies too. sigh....they love this town, and unfortunate i'm not sure i 'll ever settle down there

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
what side of town do your parents live on? I think it is weird how divided this town is, especially concerning surfing spots. It's like east siders never venture past the boardwalk and west siders never go past the pier...

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
El_Chimichanga said:
If you've never been to the city of Santa Cruz you might not understand. The mentality here is this;
1. LO*CALs rule: Valleys go home.
2. No kooks, barneys or Longboards (go back to Cowell's).
3. Bro's before Ho's
Uh... What are you talking about? Maybe that's the "old school santa cruz surfer" mentality, but it has nothing to do with bikes, or anyone else.

punkassean said:
what side of town do your parents live on? I think it is weird how divided this town is, especially concerning surfing spots. It's like east siders never venture past the boardwalk and west siders never go past the pier...

live oak. went to middle and high school in that area, before that my folks lived all over the place in the county trying to get a place to stay. my dad used to live in Zayante, in the last resort. that was crazy times.

the surfers generally live south of capitola road, and i wasn't too big on surfing anyhow. I found my calling when i discovered the mountains. plus, wasn't a big fan of the attitude of the pleasure point punks. i admire their life style sorta kinda, but the people were just airheads all the way.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I am living in Seabright so i'm kinda in the middle anyway and like 911 said, it doesn't really matter for bikes where you live. Where you livin' these days?

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
911 said:
Uh... What are you talking about? Maybe that's the "old school santa cruz surfer" mentality, but it has nothing to do with bikes, or anyone else.
It may be old school SC surfer additude, but man you F*CKING FEEL IT when you go out there and surf. SC is a SURF TOWN; Like the next big surf epicenter north of Huntington. You obviously have never seen someone get pummeled right in front of you, just for surfing on longboard. :dead:

Just knowing that those guys are walking around town, in the bike shops and bagelry, keeps me a little wary sometiems.(Ask Mike dude, they ride bikes too) Being a UCSC slug liveing on campus, you may not get exposed to it that much. BTW, they hate UCSC almost as much as Valleys.
I know all of this cause I used to be the classic valley kook. Now I'm just a kook, so in just a few years I've dramatically improved my status quo.
It's really weird when you run into this additude.

You're totally right about the biking in SC, it's really a different additude and culture. I think that's one of the biggest reasons I got hooked, because it has a much better vibe.

I think that right now SC has it's eclectic mix of red-neck bro-brah locals, f*cking wanker-wannabe hippies, UC slugs, and REALLY REALLY COOL people. Let me tell you, for all the idiots out there in SC, there are ten more in San Jose, Santa Clara, Campbell, etc. etc...

in the bay area, going to UC at the moment.

dude, don't get me started on th UCSC slug-hippie-wannabes. i never understood how anyone can drive a 40,000 buck bimmer then go to downtown and pretend they are the earth's best friend and therefore superior to others.
true story.
one day i was walking down the mall(Pacific ave, for the non-locals), and i saw two panhandling kids with UCSCish suspicion. so me and a freind of mine watched as a vove S70 wagon came to pick these two up, and of course, the the volve had UCSC sticker, a "free tibet" sticker, a rainbow sticker, and some other crap that made the car look very, very g*y.

yeah i hate UCSC too.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
nicklin said:
dude, don't get me started on th UCSC slug-hippie-wannabes. i never understood how anyone can drive a 40,000 buck bimmer then go to downtown and pretend they are the earth's best friend and therefore superior to others.
OMG :mumble:

Get this, we used to have FULL access to the Barn (as in, the party barn. If you go to UC you should know what I'm talking about.), then these hippies moved in and now it's a freaking commune. Dude, I woke up the other day and a HUUUGE f*cking school bus was in the driveway. It had all the classic propaganda on it and I think people were sleeping in it. There was also a guy SLEEPING IN THE GRASS, like over near the barn.
All of them are total DB's. They leave trash EVERYWHERE and smoke cigarettes and get to go to school for free 'cause mom and dad paid for it. Here's the kicker, some of them don't even try hard at school. One of them told me he was a self admitted total f*ckup and I'm like WTF? :confused:
I wish someone will pay for me to go to school!

Whew!
Anyways, I think we're slightly OT now...
SCB makes good bikes but they are a bunch of wankers when they don't deliver on time.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
going to UC?? SC, SF??

Damn tree huggers...the only time I hug trees is when I come into a corner too hot and lose my line.

D

Dingus McGee

Santa Cruz 1980 - "Valley leaches off our beaches"
Santa Cruz 2004 - Valley leaches own your f@#$*% town.

SC is a trustafarian Stripmall......I was there today, I ordered a Moxie at the Bagelry for old time sake....place sux. Hippies don't even know Odwalla is owned by Coca-Cola.

I ran that town in the early 80's, sorry I left such a mess! The Earthquake really ripped the soul outta SC - the Beer Garden on the Mall is a f@#$% Starbucks now.

M.A.D. , RYOT and the Young Alcoholics at the Art Center All Ages for $3 - priceless.

Ordering a white SC bike is a curse - I tried that with a Bullit and ended up owning trans gold one cuz I wanted to ride!

berkeley. and as of this moment up to my neck in debt from tuition and such. i realized i;'m in the wrong school, considering i hate UCSC, Berkeley is even worse in some aspects.

btw
trustafarian is the exact word i was looking for. i never go to downtown no more when i go back home becasue of that

Acadian said:
can someone explaine to the French Canuck what this means?
trastafarian: (sp?)
a wealthy kid who has enough money from parents to last his remaining natural life, abundant in calfornia, vermont, oregon colleges, generally the higher end schools and surrounding areas who are self-proclaimed, born-again liberal douches who have no idea what the f*ck they are talking about. a word combo of trust-fund and rastafarian. their parents are usually wealthy from means of anything but liberal causes, so call it rebillion or over-compensating

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
El_Chimichanga said:
Get this, we used to have FULL access to the Barn (as in, the party barn. If you go to UC you should know what I'm talking about.), then these hippies moved in and now it's a freaking commune. Dude, I woke up the other day and a HUUUGE f*cking school bus was in the driveway. It had all the classic propaganda on it and I think people were sleeping in it. There was also a guy SLEEPING IN THE GRASS, like over near the barn.
All of them are total DB's. They leave trash EVERYWHERE and smoke cigarettes and get to go to school for free 'cause mom and dad paid for it. Here's the kicker, some of them don't even try hard at school. One of them told me he was a self admitted total f*ckup and I'm like WTF?
Dude... I know it sucks but you and Ryan let it happen. For as much as you guys complain (especially ryan) you have to admit that you pretty much did nothing to keep the barn neurtal ground. I was always wanting to get parties going over there but you guys took no initiative. Same with the trash situation, you always talked about it buy niether of you did anything to make those fools clean up... only way anything got better is when drunk-ass megan went and talked to them.

Point is... yes those guys were DBs, as are most trust-fund hippies, but they're all push-overs. People get all worked up about them when really if you want something, they're not going to stand in your way.

Ill tell you one of the reasons for the missed ship dates. There are 4 sales persons, each of which covers a region. Some of the bike shops are very important to a perticular sales rep, so when they order a frame the certain sales rep wants them to get the frame ASAP. So they walk down to the floor, choose a frame that HAS ALREADY BEEN ASIGNED A SHOP, rip off its tag and put theirs on it, and print out a new sales order. So its like frame poaching. Im not saying this explains everything, but next time your frame has been delayed, asked if it was poached :D

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
911 said:
Dude... I know it sucks but you and Ryan let it happen. For as much as you guys complain (especially ryan) you have to admit that you pretty much did nothing to keep the barn neurtal ground. I was always wanting to get parties going over there but you guys took no initiative. Same with the trash situation, you always talked about it buy niether of you did anything to make those fools clean up... only way anything got better is when drunk-ass megan went and talked to them.

Point is... yes those guys were DBs, as are most trust-fund hippies, but they're all push-overs. People get all worked up about them when really if you want something, they're not going to stand in your way.
Um, what can I say...you made me cry when I read this.

Actually, I chatted with Mike about this tonight and he said that the whole place went to holy-hell when the Humouses showed up. Plus I never had to really maintain the barn area 'cause Chris B (did you ever meet him?) was keeping things in check over there. Plus Max was always around and kind of was the king.

Yes, Ryan and I did a bad job of carrying the torch, yes we did not initiate parties. There are many reasons for that though and the main one being that the hippies in the barn are the ones in the barn all the time, and now there's 3 of them. We could totally take over, but we can't really kick them out can we? I mean, we would still have to hang out with them in order to hang out in there. And really, who wants to do that? Have you smelled them?

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Jestere said:
Ill tell you one of the reasons for the missed ship dates.
Hmmm. That sounds more along the lines of what might be happening.

I asked my friend tonight, (who does contract work for SCB and is "in the know"). He blamed it primarily on unreliable manufacturing. He said that SCB would recieve whole batches of frames that were way out of spec. Waht do you do when that happens? Send them all back to be destroyed.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Well...you guys make cali sound like a living hell that only makes me ask a simple question....why? :)...

As for the pre-order. Because most companies are 'based' in the states exlcluding one or two decent ones..I would never pre-order anything. ESPECIALLY if they took the money first. I believe that is illegal here actually :think: If not illegal, then definately not common practice (as far as I have seen)...