Quantcast

Just backordered my new bike

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Everytime I read a thread about how a person complains about backordering thier SC frame and I just kind of chuckle to myself...for these two reasons.
(NOT THAT THIS THREAD WAS BASHING SC, but you guys are aware of what I'm talking about...)

1. Unless it hasn't been released to ANYONE yet, the frames are almost ALWAYS in stock in the local SC bike shops. I know ABS has like 4 or 5 VPfrees hanging from the ceiling right now.

2. The poor guys at SC have such a hard time keeping up with demand and hype, that they always get delayed. The problem is that they care about how good the design works, so they want to get it right. Whenever you meet a proto bike on the trails, they are always really cool about it, but then they are like all, "Don't tell anyone. We will have people knocking down our front door trying to buy one."
Really, with any business, wouldn't that be nice to have problems like that? People are so enamoured with your product that they get angry when you want to take some serious time to develop it! Only problem is that it starts to hurt thier credability, it makes it seem like they are lying to people, when really, they are trying to make honest assesments about delivery. The logistics of trying to deliver a new bike must be an absolute nightmare.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
SuperSlow said:
2005 med v10
red

I cant wait. I find out an eta today, which may be a bad thing :dancing:
I was told orders would start to be taken soon (within the next month/two)...

they were having to go back and do some different machining I was told....

they are shooting for sept/oct eta's......... They have gotten me two bikes within a few weeks of when they have said they would...other orders at the shop have also seemed to be "more on time" in the passed few months.. well since they assigned some new area sales reps....... so I'm not gonna bitch.... It seems as if they are trying to get better at organizing which frame/color comes off when and to who and where........

Seems as if they really have no deadlines on Ano finished stuff since it is done out of factory....... They'll give a month but wont swear to it....... They seemed real iffy on it..... I imagine it's outta there hands a lil more than they'd like it to be.....

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
I really dont mind waiting. I have another bike and this is just going to be next years race bike. What was said about the lbs having SC stuff in stock is totally truwe

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I've seen a new 2005 V10 in a shop in Hood River, it had a set of 2005 X-works Dorado's ready to go on it too.

Very nice btw. It seems like you've more chance of getting a new V10 than getting a VP Free. :D

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
El_Chimichanga said:
2. The poor guys at SC have such a hard time keeping up with demand and hype, that they always get delayed. The problem is that they care about how good the design works, so they want to get it right.

...it makes it seem like they are lying to people, when really, they are trying to make honest assesments about delivery..
Or they just just BS you as long as they can to keep you from ordering another bike. I had pre-ordered a V10 when they first came out and was told something like 2 months. 7 months later they were still telling me "call back in a week or two" every two weeks I called. That's just straight up lying and leading customers on. If they told me from the get-go that I wouldn't be having a bike for at least 7 months, I would have gotten another bike and they knew it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I work for a SC dealer and around Xmas this year i ordered a med white chameleon, hoping to build it before summer. They told me it should be about 3 weeks needless to say it got here in may and was waiting for me when i returned from school. nothing like being 5 months off of production schedule. I know that they have alot of demand but the sales guys on the phone always seem to be sugar coating **** and i hate that. They should just tell it like it is.

So i wonder when that new street frame that vories is riding will be out. 2008 im hoping

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Matt D said:
Or they just just BS you as long as they can to keep you from ordering another bike. I had pre-ordered a V10 when they first came out and was told something like 2 months. 7 months later they were still telling me "call back in a week or two" every two weeks I called. That's just straight up lying and leading customers on. If they told me from the get-go that I wouldn't be having a bike for at least 7 months, I would have gotten another bike and they knew it.
Yeah, I see what you're saying...
However, maybe you are only looking at one side of the coin...

This is pure internet speculation, but priority prolly boils down to something like this:
1. Bros of the guys at SC
2. Local SC bike shops
3. Race teams/ Grassroots sponsorship
4. Stock frames for other bike shops
5. special order from bike shops
6. Warranty

I know the customers should have priority, but this is what happens when you have a lot of demand for something. It happens everywhere, and SC seems to be particularly suceptable. I mean, if someone had already put money down for something that didn't exist yet, they can most likely wait for it a little bit longer than your buddy that you ride with, or the local race team member. If you've never been to the city of Santa Cruz you might not understand. The mentality here is this;
1. LO*CALs rule: Valleys go home.
2. No kooks, barneys or Longboards (go back to Cowell's).
3. Bro's before Ho's
Again, I don't think that SC has malicious intent when they "lie" about the delivery date. I also don't think they are good at telling the future either. (but who is?)

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
manhattanprjkt83 said:
So i wonder when that new street frame that vories is riding will be out. 2008 im hoping
That thing is Fawking sweet! I asked the SC engineers at the Sea Otter and they said it was a one-off just for Vories. I want one of those Dual Slolam blurs with the beefy gussets. Those are race-team only items as well.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
El_Chimichanga said:
This is pure internet speculation, but priority prolly boils down to something like this:
3. Race teams/ Grassroots sponsorship
sure.....I had to wait FOREVER for mine. The only way I ended up getting one is I decided to get a different color, not the one I had originally picked. :(

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Acadian said:
sure.....I had to wait FOREVER for mine. The only way I ended up getting one is I decided to get a different color, not the one I had originally picked. :(
So your saying just because you were sponsored didnt give you special privledges? Did you tell them you were ARCADIAN?? We learned too this year that sponsorship doesnt bump you to the front of the list......

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
El_Chimichanga said:
Again, I don't think that SC has malicious intent when they "lie" about the delivery date. I also don't think they are good at telling the future either. (but who is?)
They are also very consistant with how appallingly far off they are with their "estimates". That means one of a few things:

A) they're flat out lying
B) they're incredibly stupid, and don't learn from their past inaccuracies
C) manufacturing is constantly lying to the sales guys (unlikely)

SC doesn't want to lose a customer just because production is behind but they really need to be more honest about when the production runs will be completed.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
oly said:
Did you tell them you were ARCADIAN?? We learned too this year that sponsorship doesnt bump you to the front of the list......
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... but of course :rolleyes: I even threaten them that I would send my pimps over...even that didn't help ;)

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
binary visions said:
They are also very consistant with how appallingly far off they are with their "estimates". That means one of a few things:

A) they're flat out lying
...possible, although personally I don't think they do it as much as people make it out to be.
binary visions said:
B) they're incredibly stupid, and don't learn from their past inaccuracies
mmm...we ARE talking about SC locals here, more likely just stoned...
binary visions said:
C) manufacturing is constantly lying to the sales guys (unlikely)
I don't think lying is the appropriate word to be using. I was talking to the guys at planet X at the sea otter and they were telling me about how raw materials are going to get more expensive and harder to get since China is buying a surplus to get ready for the olympics. These guys were serious too, I mean, what happens when you promise to deliver, then you can't even get enough bar stock to fill the order. All of the sudden you are a dirty liar.

binary visions said:
SC doesn't want to lose a customer just because production is behind but they really need to be more honest about when the production runs will be completed.
honestly? I think they have so many orders, it would almost be a relief...of course they would never openly admit that...

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Acadian said:
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... but of course :rolleyes: I even threaten them that I would send my pimps over...even that didn't help ;)
Threats? Who wants to help you if you are threatening them? MAybe you should have brought a bag of Bagelry bagels over there on a Friday morning. If you actually know somebody there and you do that, who knows what might happen.

But noooooo, you had to jump on the So-Cal bandwagon and buy a Turner. Well, I hope your happy.

*Note: Turners are sick, but they are from So-Cal, therefore they are inherently evil. Because everything from So-Cal is bad, except for the Mexican food.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
El_Chimichanga said:
Threats? Who wants to help you if you are threatening them? MAybe you should have brought a bag of Bagelry bagels over there on a Friday morning. If you actually know somebody there and you do that, who knows what might happen.

But noooooo, you had to jump on the So-Cal bandwagon and buy a Turner. Well, I hope your happy.

*Note: Turners are sick, but they are from So-Cal, therefore they are inherently evil. Because everything from So-Cal is bad, except for the Mexican food.
some Bagewhat bagels?? Are those some of those SC "magical" bagels? :rolleyes:

I don't really care where the bike is from as long as it performs well. And just so you know, I didn't have to wait months for my DHR, heck I got it within a week.

Same for my 5-Spot, I ordered it on a Friday and it was in my office the next Wednesday, now that’s service! :thumb:.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Acadian said:
some Bagewhat bagels?? Are those some of those SC "magical" bagels? :rolleyes:

I don't really care where the bike is from as long as it performs well. And just so you know, I didn't have to wait months for my DHR, heck I got it within a week.

Same for my 5-Spot, I ordered it on a Friday and it was in my office the next Wednesday, now that’s service! :thumb:.
Actually, yeah it is good service. I want a 5-spot soo bad too. :(
I don't know what to say about SC being lagged except that I think they are trying to deal with more volume than they are capable of, and moving the business next door to a new(er) facility.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
El_Chimichanga said:
I don't think lying is the appropriate word to be using. I was talking to the guys at planet X at the sea otter and they were telling me about how raw materials are going to get more expensive and harder to get since China is buying a surplus to get ready for the olympics. These guys were serious too, I mean, what happens when you promise to deliver, then you can't even get enough bar stock to fill the order. All of the sudden you are a dirty liar.
Hey, I work in a manufacturing plant myself. Believe me, I understand raw materials can be hard to come by, and sometimes you can't fill orders because of it. But SC is consistant with their tardiness in delivering the goods - you can't chalk that up to constant material shortages.

Not to mention, when that happens, you tell the sales guys so they can pass along the information. ska todd was posting just a few weeks ago about how he was sorry something was behind, but they couldn't get enough raw materials. SC likes to play the old "check back in 2 weeks" game. By "lying to the sales guys", I didn't mean an original promise date - it's very difficult to predict when you'll have a production run done. However, they need to learn from their past mistakes and pad their manufacturing dates appropriately, and stop stringing along their customers by pushing the date out a couple weeks every time they call.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
El_Chimichanga said:
Actually, yeah it is good service. I want a 5-spot soo bad too. :(
I don't know what to say about SC being lagged except that I think they are trying to deal with more volume than they are capable of, and moving the business next door to a new(er) facility.
they are definitely understaffed! Plus, like you said, the move didn't help.

I have to say they are very cool peeps...I like Scott and he's has always been courteous to me and very quick at replying to my e-mails.

I'm not bashing their bikes...I loved my V10, just saying that they just can't keep up with the demands, thus can’t keep promises! I don't think I have never seen SC release a bike on time (as promised).

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I wish I was cool enough to live in Santa Cruz and have bros and hos and hate the valley.

I've completely written off Santa Cruz bikes and will never buy one. Not because I don't like the products, but because I've had too many (read: more 3 personal experiences) bad experiences with the employees that work there. The only guy I like is the guy who runs the expo tent for the tires.

I really hope that you get your frame promptly, but don't be surprised if you get jerked around.

BTW, steel and aluminum shortages are not a result of the Olympics. It's a small small part, but the biggest reason is that there will be 8 cities the size of Chicago (I think it's Chicago) built in the next decade or so in China which are pulling an enormous amount of resources from us.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
I ordered my new V10 in white a couple days after Sea Otter. I talked to SC about what they had on hand and was assured they had my frame ready to go on their next color run of white which was to be in about 2 weeks. Based on that, I went ahead and sold my 7 month old trans gold V10 and gave my bike shop cash. I was told I was the very first person (not counting sponsored team riders) to order the new V10. A couple weeks later, I was offered a trans blue V10 frame that day, or another week and a half for my white one. I said I'd hold off for the white. another week later, I was offered an ano-black one and that it would be another 2 weeks for the white... I said that I'd wait till next week for my white. I shoulda taken the black...it was pimp, but I really wanted white to match my white Blur that I'd purchased just after ordering the new V10. Yes, I know some think it's gay to have a whole bunch of bikes that are the same color and make, but I don't care...a stable of white SC bikes is what I'm after.

Anyway, so 2 more weeks go by, no frame....at this point I was 7 weeks out from ordering the frame. Then the bomb drops.... there are no more mediums of any color at SC, let alone white. The next run will be July 1, with no word as to what color it'll be, nor how long after the July 1 run date the new frames will be shipped. I have (or I guess at this point HAD) a trip to BC planned on July 13th....looks like I'm screwed. Thanks SC. :mumble:

Oh yeah, and good luck trying to get hold of them these days. I shoulda bought a Turner.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
El Jefe said:
I ordered my new V10 in white a couple days after Sea Otter. I talked to SC about what they had on hand and was assured they had my frame ready to go on their next color run of white which was to be in about 2 weeks. Based on that, I went ahead and sold my 7 month old trans gold V10 and gave my bike shop cash. I was told I was the very first person (not counting sponsored team riders) to order the new V10. A couple weeks later, I was offered a trans blue V10 frame that day, or another week and a half for my white one. I said I'd hold off for the white. another week later, I was offered an ano-black one and that it would be another 2 weeks for the white... I said that I'd wait till next week for my white. I shoulda taken the black...it was pimp, but I really wanted white to match my white Blur that I'd purchased just after ordering the new V10. Yes, I know some think it's gay to have a whole bunch of bikes that are the same color and make, but I don't care...a stable of white SC bikes is what I'm after.

Anyway, so 2 more weeks go by, no frame....at this point I was 7 weeks out from ordering the frame. Then the bomb drops.... there are no more mediums of any color at SC, let alone white. The next run will be July 1, with no word as to what color it'll be, nor how long after the July 1 run date the new frames will be shipped. I have (or I guess at this point HAD) a trip to BC planned on July 13th....looks like I'm screwed. Thanks SC. :mumble:

Oh yeah, and good luck trying to get hold of them these days. I shoulda bought a Turner.
White is the same color I was waiting for...but had to settle for a black cause I would of waited even longer! :( I waited almost 5 months....

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
It is very cool to live in SC. MAybe almost as cool as the coolest place on earth. We all line up on Ocean street on the weekends and throw tomatos and cabbage at the cars driving into town. We scream "Go home Valleys!!" and then break out the slingshots & frozen paintballs.

NO, not really. But it is a chill place to live and I think a lot of people get really excited about the bikes that SC make. Have you ever heard of Hawaiian time? Well, SC as a city has a similar attitude. Not really a big reason to stress out, man.
People will call up SCB and they ask "when will it get here?" and SCB SHOULD say, "It'll get there." And then the peeps will be all,"Yeah, but WHEN?" and SC would be like, "It'll totally get there man, just chill. It'll show up sometime. Oh sh*t, I gotta split. It's almost 4:20."
I feel sorry for all of you that hate SC now. It's hard for people to stay amped on something for so long when they haven't even gotten it yet. You shouldn't hate the playa, just the game.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
FWIW, ABS has about 8-10 5 Spots hanging from the ceiling right there with those VP-Free's and I see one on the trail every time I ride. I think 5 Spots are rad but for $1,900??? Next years Kona Dawg will cost that for a complete with decent parts or maybe $1,000 more for a complete with mostly top of the line parts. The frame is virtually the same (5" 4-bar relaxed geo. etc, the primary diff. being the Horst link but with only 5" it is hardly noticeable) Paul is right man, SC is a trippy place as far as being a loc goes. SC (as a city)"promotes from within" to a fault...

El Jefe, I know it's a long shot but have you tried to call SC and tell them about your trip, maybe they have a magazine/demo bike you can borrow or something? That really sucks! Is your trip to Whistler? if so I'll see ya there!

ARcadian, Yes the bagelry bagels are magical...I think they use crushed up lucky charms in 'em er sumthin', cuz they're magically delicious?

Maybe SC is thinking if they increase supply, they will decrease demand and therefore decrease the hype that they have developed over these last few years? I don't know? but I think Paul is pretty close with his estimations all-in-all...

don't hold your breath.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
El_Chimichanga said:
You shouldn't hate the playa, just the game.
We're the playa's and they supply the toys

no toys, no fun! :(

not everyone is fortunate enough to another bike to ride while they wait for their new one – sux to be kept off the bike because of broken promises. :dead:

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
I just thought I should throw in there that if you think SC is bad...try having a single run with INTENSE....We are Running at about 4 Months backorder and they said its pushed back another 30 days...looks like im goin to be building a DH bike @ Idaho. I havent even ridden since BB.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
v10"o-PlEaSuRe said:
I just thought I should throw in there that if you think SC is bad...try having a single run with INTENSE....We are Running at about 4 Months backorder and they said its pushed back another 30 days...looks like im goin to be building a DH bike @ Idaho. I havent even ridden since BB.
and guess what? Just saw a post on a UK forum and some shops there already have some M3's in stock!

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
El_Chimichanga said:
It is very cool to live in SC. MAybe almost as cool as the coolest place on earth. We all line up on Ocean street on the weekends and throw tomatos and cabbage at the cars driving into town. We scream "Go home Valleys!!" and then break out the slingshots & frozen paintballs.

NO, not really. But it is a chill place to live and I think a lot of people get really excited about the bikes that SC make. Have you ever heard of Hawaiian time? Well, SC as a city has a similar attitude. Not really a big reason to stress out, man.
People will call up SCB and they ask "when will it get here?" and SCB SHOULD say, "It'll get there." And then the peeps will be all,"Yeah, but WHEN?" and SC would be like, "It'll totally get there man, just chill. It'll show up sometime. Oh sh*t, I gotta split. It's almost 4:20."
I feel sorry for all of you that hate SC now. It's hard for people to stay amped on something for so long when they haven't even gotten it yet. You shouldn't hate the playa, just the game.
What a load of horsesh*t. I have a bunch of bikes, but no dh bike. Why? Because Santa Cruz flat out BS'ed me. It's really funny how a couple months ago they were easy to get on the phone, even just before Sea Otter. Now, the more they delay my order, the harder it is for me and for my LBS to get them on the phone or to call back. Hawaiian time? I don't think so. More like BSLT (bull sh!tter lag time)

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
El Jefe said:
What a load of horsesh*t. I have a bunch of bikes, but no dh bike. Why? Because Santa Cruz flat out BS'ed me. It's really funny how a couple months ago they were easy to get on the phone, even just before Sea Otter. Now, the more they delay my order, the harder it is for me and for my LBS to get them on the phone or to call back. Hawaiian time? I don't think so. More like BSLT (bull sh!tter lag time)
:eek:
I would have taken the black ano in a heart-beat If I ahd been in your position.

'nuff said.