Quantcast

Just a quick question...

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
So I finish changing the oil in my 40 yesterday and went outside to "parking lot" test it in my yard. Then I noticed the front break was weak (it's a hayes 9). I took the pads out and they were not worn to far, only like half way down, you couldn't see metal or anything. Put them back in, respaced the pads with some playing cards.

Still weak, time to bleed them? Think a little bit of air got in them? Just needed an answer before I throw down $20 for a hayes bleed kit.

Thanks.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Could have gotten some oil on your pads while changing your fork oil? If that had happened that would definately decrease the effectivness of your pads. Soak your pads in alcohol for a little bit, wipe your rotors down with alcohol and let them dry. If you don't have the breaking power back with that it may help to bleed them.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Could have gotten some oil on your pads while changing your fork oil? If that had happened that would definately decrease the effectivness of your pads. Soak your pads in alcohol for a little bit, wipe your rotors down with alcohol and let them dry. If you don't have the breaking power back with that it may help to bleed them.
That's a good idea! Very possible, I'll go and try that.

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Better yet, go to your local auto store and buy some Brake Cleaner. Its always good to have around the house anyway.

Worth the 8 bucks and saves the hassle of soaking your brake pads.

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Even better:

Buy new pads! If you have gotten oil on them, they are most likely destroyed. You might have some luck with the techniques mentioned above, but most likely the pads will never be 100% again.

Fred.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Well I tried the alchohol... Didn't work so well, but it did help a little. So off to pep boys it is... Hope I don't have to buy new pads, thanks for the help, I'll keep ya posted, haha.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
First thing I thought was that you got oil on the pads. If the brake all of a sudden had no power and if the contact point is consistent, then that's probably what happened. In my experience, there's not much you can do. Alcohol doesn't do much when oil gets on them. Burning the pads may help some, but buying new ones is the best option.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Be carefull which brake cleaner you get. get a Non chlorinated cleaner. Also, if you did indeed get oil on your brake pads, your not going to be able to get it all off/out. problem is that it soaks in....... Best thing you can do, clean them well, go ride them.

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
oil on the pads... take the pads and do figure eights on the floor... That might help if it wasnt much which seaped into the pads. I would also clean your rotors...

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
1 can of brake clean $8.00

1 bottle of rubbing alcohol $0.79

3 gallons of gas it took to get above products $15.00

new set of pads you should have started out with $20.00

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
so... i've decided to skip the auto degreaser. I told a friend about my brakes today while riding at his place, and he pointed out there was a kink in the hydraulic hose. I am going to the bike shop tommorow and will get a brake bleeding kit for hayes 9, brake fluid if it's not included, a new line, and new brake pads. Thanks a lot for your help.

edit:wow... changing oil in a fork can get expensive... haha, I'll be more careful next time.

Last edited:

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
so... i've decided to skip the auto degreaser. I told a friend about my brakes today while riding at his place, and he pointed out there was a kink in the hydraulic hose. I am going to the bike shop tommorow and will get a brake bleeding kit for hayes 9, brake fluid if it's not included, a new line, and new brake pads. Thanks a lot for your help.

edit:wow... changing oil in a fork can get expensive... haha, I'll be more careful next time.
Take your caliper off or at a minimum, the pads out next time.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Zip ties work wonders. Use them for hanging any lines so they arne't pulling on anything when you work on your ride.