Quantcast

Junior World's Team Qualifier-Rollcall and Course Pics-Plattekill Mountain

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Seriously, super rocky, looks like tacky soil conditions, as long as it doesn't rain, it should be a great course.
...there is alot of sandy type grit in the mud and it doesn't cake up......traction will still be really good.....freezing and being soaking wet on the lift is another story though.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Platty in the rain = RULES!

except for the fresh cut roots and in thunder/lightning downpours that tend to last for hours...
psh. sissy. In case you don't recall the last time it rained at platty I was seen jumping in puddles.

Platty in the rain is just as good as in no rain.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Seems like Will has a fan club...hopefully he can do it...lot's of fast guys coming for this race...should be fun to watch! oh and to race! course looks sick!
not so much a fan club as a big group of friends and supporters. Not only is he stupid fast, he's also a really cool guy to hang out with.

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
im comming all the way up from the atl sounds like theres gonna be some good comp! only time will tell and let the best man win is what im saying!

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
not so much a fan club as a big group of friends and supporters. Not only is he stupid fast, he's also a really cool guy to hang out with.
I know...it was joke...He rode for my team last year and I helped him get his factory ride with Morewood. Will's my boy...and you're right...he's stupid:poster_oops: I mean stupid fast...rode with him on Sunday. Will the Thrill FTW

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Platty in the rain = RULES!

except for the fresh cut roots and in thunder/lightning downpours that tend to last for hours...
Platty in the snow is how real men do it. Nothing is as exciting as when your at Platty and your brake seal fails because of the cold... whoo wah.:shocked:

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
well i think i might be giving them a run for there money, i cant wait to race all of them sounds like fun! :)
You are in for a rude lesson in just how steep and tight a course can be coming from down south. At on point you have about 5in of room coming out of a corner to place your front wheel in between a rock just waiting to rip off you derailleur and a tree and of course it is off camber. Some of the shoots on the second half are very hard to walk down they are so steep.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Here's a few more pics of the fast stuff. Course will be taped this weekend, then I'll be able to get some riding pics.

bfrich, get richie there !! another spoiler possibility,

pds rx, one of the reasons Plattekill was chosen is because of the similarities to Val De Sole.

NJMX835, sport course will be fun run to just below broken tooth, fast, flow and fun abound.

Cant Climb, correct !! Traction in the rain is crazy good. I do much better in the rain there.

racer661, who are you? You'll have a ball:cheers:

willc, is too embarrased to post in this thread, even tho he really wants to:redface::redface::redface:

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Best shale surfing section I've had at platty was the 2nd to last race, sport course, in 2006, the shale switchback section that you could lock up your brakes through and keep going.

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
You are in for a rude lesson in just how steep and tight a course can be coming from down south. At on point you have about 5in of room coming out of a corner to place your front wheel in between a rock just waiting to rip off you derailleur and a tree and of course it is off camber. Some of the shoots on the second half are very hard to walk down they are so steep.
sounds like a blast! I think i might be able to hold my own. comming from the south doesnt mean anything just means i gotta work a lil harder ;). its not my first rodieo:) how is it comparred to lower hair ball at snowshoe?

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
Here's a few more pics of the fast stuff. Course will be taped this weekend, then I'll be able to get some riding pics.

bfrich, get richie there !! another spoiler possibility,

pds rx, one of the reasons Plattekill was chosen is because of the similarities to Val De Sole.

NJMX835, sport course will be fun run to just below broken tooth, fast, flow and fun abound.

Cant Climb, correct !! Traction in the rain is crazy good. I do much better in the rain there.

racer661, who are you? You'll have a ball:cheers:

my names ethan quehl u prob havent heard of me i come from corss counrty i race the jr x class and im just converting to dh i won the snowshoe series in the am u17 against niko. so hopfully ill be able to bring my game up to ny. sounds like a bad ass course i cant wait to ride it!:cheers:

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
well if uve ever ridden lower hair ball at snowshoe, all there is to ride on is shapr pointy rocks! haha

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
i've ridden plattekill alot, and i've ridden on the west coast alot, and i think they are both totally different types of terrain, but i don't feel that plattekill is as gnarly as everyone hypes it up to be......its not THAT hard.....

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
i've ridden plattekill alot, and i've ridden on the west coast alot, and i think they are both totally different types of terrain, but i don't feel that plattekill is as gnarly as everyone hypes it up to be......its not THAT hard.....
ANY trail is HARD when you are racing it and trying to squeeze time out.

As for Plattekilll specifically.....i think it is uniqueness that has historically gotten peoples attention. But in the sport now-a-days it seems harder and harder to find uniqueness, so that feeling isn't what it used to be.

But the loose shale and the amount of shale that creeps into the trails and increases in amount as a race trail beds in is pretty unique. Throw in the red soil into equation too......the North Face side is more typical of general NorthEast terrain. But the triple side (old side) has more of the Reddish soil and the steep parts are at a perfect pitch IMO. The accessible terrain up there is huge....there are incrediblebly steep walls that have never been ridden. The are huge rock spines that don't even have trails yet.

Historically if you count across the face of that mountain i would guess there have been 40-45 trials. Not trail 'sections', i mean top-to-bottom trail. Alot of the trails have over grown in recent years though.....running mostly the 'North Face' side lift has caused alot of people to become unfamiliar with the older trails, hence less ridden and some overgrowth.....

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
planted or loose?
both. it's worth the trip to snowshoe just to ride it.

Tomac_racer said:
You are in for a rude lesson in just how steep and tight a course can be coming from down south.
pardon?
VA isnt considered 'down south', but we've got XC trails that will pucker your ass up, not to mention the rough stuff.
and there are some ri-goshdarn-diculous trails in western NC, so ya might want to do a little research next time you rant off.
we know you adore your beloved Platty, but let's be adults here; there are steep trails everywhere. get over it.