Quantcast

Jumping from scratch

I just traded my old downhiller for a Giant STP with a 55R on it. The bike also has an Azonic Outlaw wheelset and bunch of Hussefelt. After I got the STP home I thought umm... I have no idea where to go from here.

The bike has a set of Intense DH tires on it. I know I need to get new tires so I was thinking one of Kenda's tires. Anybody have a better suggestion?

I've never jumped on a hardtail only a DH rig. I feel comfortable on trails like Aline, Freight Train and Dirt Merchant. I mean like riding with just a helmet.
Jumping on a hardtail and landing on a steep tiny transtition seems sketchy. It makes me think pressure suit. I was wondering anyone knows if my background will work out on dirt jumps?

I haven't seen anyone with a shovel at the jumps close my house to ask these questions. So while I wait for signs of intellgent life let me know where to go from here.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
you are already jumping everything on A-line ?

STP is a good bike. just ride it. you'll probably find you like jumping it better than the DH bike.

Last edited:

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Kenda small block 8 tires are a good choice for a smaller bike, or most any bike for that matter. They will be noticeably lighter than the intense tires that are on there now. Once you get better at riding your hardtail it will improve your skills on any bike.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Landing well on steep transitions is a bit of an art that once you get down you will never have to think about again. I used to think that people got comfortable by jumping tiny jumps and then progressing to big.. But lately I have been building jumps for these kids in my city who are just learning to jump, and I have been building all of them with like steep 4-5ft lips and wedged landings. This way, the jump is small/medium sized, but steep, which is what most people become afraid of over size. They are all taking to the quickly, so later once they get to bigger steep jumps, the only thing they have to get over is the size of the jump/gap.

So in short, start with medium sized jumps that have shorter gaps, and try to go slow out of them and boost high. Then go faster and faster to boost higher and higher. :)

Yeah I think the gaps are messing with my head not the size. I feel it's easier on a big jump because you have plenty of time to set up then pop off the lip. the timing is spaced out more.

those medium sized jumps with shorter gaps are just what i've been eyeing up. I'm just worried i'm not going to land right on something steep.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Landing well on steep transitions is a bit of an art that once you get down you will never have to think about again. I used to think that people got comfortable by jumping tiny jumps and then progressing to big.. But lately I have been building jumps for these kids in my city who are just learning to jump, and I have been building all of them with like steep 4-5ft lips and wedged landings. This way, the jump is small/medium sized, but steep, which is what most people become afraid of over size. They are all taking to the quickly, so later once they get to bigger steep jumps, the only thing they have to get over is the size of the jump/gap.

So in short, start with medium sized jumps that have shorter gaps, and try to go slow out of them and boost high. Then go faster and faster to boost higher and higher. :)
I agree. A lot of the peeps I ride with have no flow, and do not know how to boost. The better one is at boosting, the more speed one can carry through a line.

I tried to jump today it was pretty bad. I crashed twice trying a small jump. The second time was a day ender. I first time I didn't make the gap so it bounced me around so that I couldn't avoid the second bigger steeper one. With no speed and a little pop I made it to the another side. I thought that doesn't make sense but I guess what you guys are saying about medium sizes sounds right now.

I can't tell when I'm pushing down before the pop because it's a hardtail any advice?

Thanks for the reponses.. This is harder than I thought

I'm 33 and 6'3" 260 lbs. I just thought since I was so good jumping my DH that DJ would be a breeze. WRONG!!:eek:

Sometimes I wish I started 20 years ago too but It was so nice to ride before the masses found XC mountain biking and then 5 years later before the masses found DH.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
You guys will be fine if you stay relaxed and don't force jumping. Also once to get 5' lips with 8' gaps down... do not go bigger until you have good relaxed bike handling skills... and do not just keep increasing speed in lieu of smooth relaxed handling... or you will get hurt. I started really getting trails jumping down at 39. I am 41 now and ride bmx 100% now.