Quantcast

"Jump" Advice

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I know I'm over thinking this, it's the accountant in me. I am 80% certain I will go around. But I will be angry with myself because I am 95% certain I would make it. (I pulled these percentage out of my ass).
Its important to know that 97% of us are ALSO CERTAIN you would make it. :thumb:
Once you get to see a few riders hit it and you get more comfortable with it (maybe) just go for it.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
If you have hit smaller drops than this before without incident:

-Ignore all the advice on body position and crap like that. You already know how to go off a drop, trust that you know what to do and you have the skills to do it.

-Commit way in advance, no hesitation.

-Stay relaxed.

-Once you're in the air, stay more relaxed. You've already done the hard part.

If you haven't hit smaller drops clean:

-Go around.

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
It's a big mental game. You have the skills and knowledge! Do it!
You may regret not trying. You won't regret it if you attempt it!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just let go of the stoppers, pull up as you go off and yell "SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" until you hit the ground.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Heidi .. don't hate yourself. That is a pretty big hit. (hope the picture link works)

I'll say this; after the race and before the beer starts flowing you should talk to somebody that you know who rides this drop and ask them to tow you into it. You would be so ridiculously stoked to hit/land it and then the next time something like this comes around you'll have an easier time of it all.

Good luck! :thumb:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
As with all bike photos, the photo rarely does "the reality" justice.

You won't know until you see it first hand. I'd reserve judgement until you actually see someone else hit it.

With a nice smooth, straight, run in, it might not be so bad.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It isn't an xc race. It's a DH/Super D/XC/Cyclocross/Road race. Pieces of every discipline.
Interesting approach, could be fun, and the best all-rounder should take it, especially with features like this.

Nick makes a good suggestion. Hopefully you'll get a chance to try it even if you skip it during the race.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey stupid question, but can you roll it and go around the landing? It looks reeeeeeeeeally smooth, like they purposefully built up the "droppiness" of the thing. If you could ride right along the edge (if they tape it wide) you wouldn't have to use the go around and you wouldn't have to do the drop either.

Just a thought!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hey stupid question, but can you roll it and go around the landing? It looks reeeeeeeeeally smooth, like they purposefully built up the "droppiness" of the thing. If you could ride right along the edge (if they tape it wide) you wouldn't have to use the go around and you wouldn't have to do the drop either.

Just a thought!
Just my opinion, but even if it's allowed, that would be pretty lame.

Next up: SandwichCuttheCoursein2012.com

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
*The go around doesnt look too slow. Right down the grass hill to the right!:)

And is it reality that you all get to shred and tear the s**t out of a golf course??? Did I just see a sand trap gap in there too on that fb page??

The drop looks fun!

*Snipped by Sandwich

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just my opinion, but even if it's allowed, that would be pretty lame.

Next up: SandwichCuttheCoursein2012.com
lol!

Still though, that's a big drop and if the go around adds 30 seconds, that's a HUGE advantage to taking the drop. I guess if it's an hour long, that makes sense, but you'd still lose time "cutting the course" just not as much. Besides, I'm too fat to race.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
*The go around doesnt look too slow. Right down the grass hill to the right!:)

And is it reality that you all get to shred and tear the s**t out of a golf course??? Did I just see a sand trap gap in there too on that fb page??

The drop looks fun!

*Snipped by Sandwich
Yah, we have to try to jump the sand trap. I'm sure I'll bunny hop right into it and come to a stop :)

You aren't allowed to just go to the side of the drop, you have to ride out to the right and down a hill and back to basically the bottom of the jump.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Jesus wants you to brrraaaapp the crap out of that gap. He just called and let me know.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Not sure what the finished lander surface will be (i.e. in one pic it looks like green carpet and in another it looks basically like plywood), but if it rains, a wood surface will likely be pretty slick. Could make for some epic yard sales come race day.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
the jump looks alot like a stair drop, go find an 6-8 stair set and huck it to flat a couple times, its gonna be very similar in feel, just a nice sloped landing instead of flat

ps- don't short the stairs unless you like snake bites and folded rims....ask me how i know.......:mad:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, I got a really bad line and had to follow some sketchy riders through the upper technical spots before I pulled off some sweet passes. I was in 5th place going into the jump area. I blew the corner leading into it and had to correct and I went around it. Only 2 of the 13 women took the jump, but I got passed right there. The racer behind me jumped and I went around. She passed me there. Oh well. I got 6th. I WON THE SPEED TRAP PRIME!! I tied Katie Compton (who was on some carbon fiber hardtail) through that sprint I think we were radared going 39 mph. The tie breaker was an arm wrestling competition and I smoked that. $500!!!!! Woot woot. I finished the race with another racer but you had to cross the line and chug a beer. Of course I won the beer chug so I got 6th.