Quantcast

Juicy 5s vs Juicy 7s what's the real deal?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
So everywhere I read that juciy 5s are just like the 7s but without the pad engagement adjustor thingy. Is this true, or are there other aspects of the juicy 5s that help bring the price down?

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
This is sort of already been said but its more adding to the value of the pad engagement adjuster.
At work we sell a lot of these and get quite a few comments I guess you would call it about the long leaver pull and spongy/flexy feel of the Juicys. For some people this is not really a problem as they still stop you. But if you like thing a bit more responsive and positive I would defiantly shell out the extra for the 7s as you can make the leavers a bit more responsive. I can not get away with 5s as when I try and pull up hard I tend to nip my Ring finger with the leaver being pulled with my Middle and Index fingers.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Me too. It's nice to be able to make it stop right away for rear wheel stalls, and then increase the throw for trails. I have a set going on my bullit soon!!

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
With the 5s (and really any hydro brake) you can remove the wheel and carefully/slowly close the brake past their normal stopping point (with the disc in there) to move fluid from the reservoir into the line, thus making the pads' native position a little closer to the disc. Sure, the contact adjustment is nice, but if you take a little more time when setting up the 5s, you reach the same end.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
same stopping power, less adjustment of the 5's. I have 7's currently but am planning on 5's for the next set b/c I always just run the pcpa knob all the way in a leave it (which is where the 5's are defaulted to)

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
With the 5s (and really any hydro brake) you can remove the wheel and carefully/slowly close the brake past their normal stopping point (with the disc in there) to move fluid from the reservoir into the line, thus making the pads' native position a little closer to the disc. Sure, the contact adjustment is nice, but if you take a little more time when setting up the 5s, you reach the same end.

Not really most hydraulic brakes are self and simply adjust them self off again. Or most of the ones that are not self adjusting are closed systems and will return anyway.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I didn't know about that. Thanks! I might try that with my hayes 9's.
You can not do this with Hayes. If you want to move Haye 9 pads closer all you have to do is simply add a bit more fluid to the system. Haye 9s in general are a bit of a pain to work with so be careful. You may be best taking them to your LBS if your not positive you are happy with doing it your self. When set correctly you should have some of the most effective brakes available with your Haye 9s.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Okay, thanks. I'm taking my 9's off my bullit and putting 7's on. I'm thinking of using the front one on my hardtail, since it only has a juicy 7 on the rear.