Quantcast

Job Suggestions?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I need a different job for next semester with different hours so I can actually go to school. However, I have a problem...I only want to work 20-30 hours a week in the evenings, but need health ins.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look? I don't have much in the way of "experience"...I don't think managing a deli really counts. Is there some secret magical sector that hires people without much experience, gives them decent hours and bennies and isn't telemarketing?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
In most states you are considered a full time employee at 30 hours a week, and only then will you be offered health insurance.
If you want to work less than that, you have to get it on your own
which could be tough to afford only working for 20 hours a week.

I say just become a male enhancement commodies broker.
Buy short and sell long.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm looking at gov't jobs, as well as UPS...Having a tough time finding anything part time government, UPS hours are teh suck. :(

Maybe I should just take out more loan money for health insurance...****ing pig HMOs. Gotta love the USA.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
In most states you are considered a full time employee at 30 hours a week
I believe that is incorrect. All the sources I have seen have indicated that neither federal nor state law indicate a specific number of hours an employee has to work before they are considered full time.

I think there are a couple states that are exceptions (California has a lot of weird laws and definitions under the law so it wouldn't suprise me if they did), but I don't believe the law mandates a minimum number of hours for an employee to be full time - it is set by the employer.

I could be wrong, of course - I'm not a lawyer, just going off what I read :)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Grocery stores, hospitals, and coffee shops are all good places to look for jobs. If you aren't a complete idiot and have some experience in food services you'll get a job there no problem.

I picked up a job at a coffee shop in a hospital in Rochester. Tons of people and with tips I make 11-12 an hour. I have to look into health benefits. Be careful, most places won't offer benefits unless you have been working there for six months. If you have managed a deli try getting in at a restaurant. You can work nights and weekends and make a ton of money through tips.

The Ito

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Check to see if you can get a health plan through the school. Back in the day I was able to get coverage for a few hundred bucks a year, it did only cover time periods when school was in session.

L

luelling

I believe that is incorrect. All the sources I have seen have indicated that neither federal nor state law indicate a specific number of hours an employee has to work before they are considered full time.
I've been told, but haven't checked it myself, that Oregon considers you full time at 30 hours. As far as health insurance, when I went to college they had a school sponsored insurance program for a small amount and then they had a free health clinic as well (after lots of drunken nights, students need STD testing!!).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you have managed a deli try getting in at a restaurant. You can work nights and weekends and make a ton of money through tips.
Yeah, that was my first thought, but Utah law requires you have to be 21 to be within three miles of alcohol...Hospital, you say? I'll have to check around.

School's insurance is the suck. Worse than just getting it on my own. How much does "catastrophic" or whatever insurance usually run?

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Hey blue, if I was in your position I would consider looking for the low hours, (most likely) low paying job at the hot dog stand. A person of your age can occasionally find themselves paying very little (less than $100 a month) for health insurance through plans like http://www.tonik.us/ It really depends on your physical condition and medical record.

I know a few people who are currently holding policies with tonik… they claim that it works well for them and is very affordable, there might even be some dental coverage included as well. If it wasn’t for my pre-existing slipped disk, I too would be taking advantage of this policy.

Price out the “calculated risk taker” policy, it carries a $1500 deductible which is pretty common these days. You might be able to afford it with a low income.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001

I think there are a couple states that are exceptions (California has a lot of weird laws and definitions under the law so it wouldn't suprise me if they did), but I don't believe the law mandates a minimum number of hours for an employee to be full time - it is set by the employer.

I could be wrong, of course - I'm not a lawyer, just going off what I read :)
Well, I was speaking from a benefit standpoint.
In my state, if you do not work at least 30 hours a week, you do not qualify for group health insurance benefits period.
I know, I deal with it every day.:(

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Tonik isn't available in Utah. :(

Health insurance shopping really gives you a sense of how wrong and broken the system really is...Free market makes everything better my ass.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
starbucks....i know it may seem lame but they give bennies to part timers, you will meet lots of good lookin girls and i think they might actually even help pay for your school...maybe that may be just for full timers though.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Tonik isn't available in Utah. :(

Health insurance shopping really gives you a sense of how wrong and broken the system really is...Free market makes everything better my ass.
WTF? Dam Mormon lobbyists… I don’t know?

That sucks ass, it’s a good policy

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Ya know blue, your right, and the best part is when you start to process claims. My Nationwide plan was around $125 a month this time last year. After treating a broken ankle (non-surgical) and a herniated disc (non-surgical) it jumped to $325 a month.

And now with my disc problem I’m stuck with it, other insurance companies will not take me, I’m considered damaged goods.

Private sectors give blow jobs with braces when it comes to this kinda sh!t.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
UPS gives benefits to PT employees too. They usually have several 4 hour shifts, depending on the operations in your area, so you should be able to find something to fit with your work schedule.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
BV, I was curious about the law on this so I found out.
You were right about it not being a gov't rule.
It is the insurance companies that consider 30 hours a week as full time. And I can tell you that most all of them have that set at 30 hours a week. We have one company that will let you at 20 hours a week, but with employer approval which never happens unless its his wife or something. Evidently Starbuck's national plan is setup for 20 and that would be the way to go.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It is the insurance companies that consider 30 hours a week as full time. And I can tell you that most all of them have that set at 30 hours a week. We have one company that will let you at 20 hours a week, but with employer approval which never happens unless its his wife or something. Evidently Starbuck's national plan is setup for 20 and that would be the way to go.
Good to know.

The Starbucks employees as a whole are a bit of a cult - many of them really love working there and are very devoted to it. A tremendous amount of them keep a small, part-time job there even when they land better paying full time gigs. It's pretty interesting - the corporate culture is to really take care of their employees.

http://www.workforce.com/section/02/feature/23/52/96/

If I ever found myself in a situation where I really needed employment and couldn't find anything else, I think Starbucks is one of the few public service positions I'd ever even think about considering.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd probably still be involved in a homocide or aggravated battery in the first week, but at least my benefits would be good :D

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Good to know.

The Starbucks employees as a whole are a bit of a cult - many of them really love working there and are very devoted to it. A tremendous amount of them keep a small, part-time job there even when they land better paying full time gigs. It's pretty interesting - the corporate culture is to really take care of their employees.

http://www.workforce.com/section/02/feature/23/52/96/

If I ever found myself in a situation where I really needed employment and couldn't find anything else, I think Starbucks is one of the few public service positions I'd ever even think about considering.
I've never worked there myself, but a few of my friends have. Most said that while the work itself wasn't great (PITA customers, I'm sure you can imagine), the company was good and went out of its way to make the jobs attractive by offering good benefits and the chance for some upward mobility. Something to think about.

As for UPS, I know a bunch of people that went that route. ALL of them said it sucked. Unless you are really desparate, get a really good offer or want to make a career out of it, then I'd look elsewhere. You'll be sorting packages, which, by all accounts, is the worst job in the company.