Quantcast

Jews Need Perfecting.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Dude, you study this, not me, but that sounds like there's more than one Christ?

Are you saying that the absolutely most basic part of the xtian bible (Jesus) is open to interpretation?
Well, personally, I don't close off anything to some interpretation, but that's another matter, I suppose. I don't think, for example, that any Christian church will be claiming that there could be more than one messiah.

What I was saying in the statement you quoted was that the tradition of what it means to be a messiah, an anointed one, has varied notions. Look at Jesus (a rather atypical messiah) and Bar Kochba, who led the Jewish revolt in 132. Bar Kochba's man goal was throwing off Roman rule and he tried to reach this end violently. He was particularly brutal and was eventually crushed in battle (which, as is often the case, had the effect of crushing his messiahship). Quite different from Jesus in many ways.

The point is that there are many different notions of the messiah in the literature and to deny this or, worse, look at Jesus and think that that is the standard notion of what a messiah is is inaccurate. I say "worse" for the latter because Jesus is an atypical example (if we can even denote such a thing in the varied tradition).

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
On the losing end of a wishbone
So, do any of you people actually believe any of that religious stuff?

I think people take up religion just so they can point to their "beliefs" when then get pissed off at nothing instead of admitting that their 'ginas got sandy.