Quantcast

Jet-setters??? Who travels for work?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Okay, I'm seriously considering a new job. It's complicated, but I'd like to use you guys as a sounding board.

My current job has a fantastic future.. really fantastic. We're working on merging with another company, and the head of the "merger" has verbally stated that I can expect a significant and lucrative role after everything is done. Its good work, similar to what I do now, but on a larger $ scale. The financial possibilities are exceptional. In general I find it kinda boring though.

Option 2:
Prior to this merger I had been secretly interviewing for a new job. Before they even put an offer to paper, I told them I was no longer interested because of said merger.

They've now come back two months later and are offering me the world.

It's an international company and will require a TON of travel. The locations are pretty exotic, but I will be working when I'm there.

Those of you that travel, does it get old?

I'm excited about it because it's a new rapidly expanding company. I would get to travel the world and get paid well for it. I would be very challenged.

The money is great either way. Staying put is a shoehorn into a very lucrative business, but leaving "sounds" a lot more fun.

Anyone out there regretted a job change? Visa versa?

Thanks

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The travel part gets old. Fortunately, it only lasts 24 hours or so and then you are in a crazy location, experiencing new things.

I hate dealing with airlines, trains, rentals etc. I love seeing new places. It's a tradeoff. After 4 weeks straight it gets old and I just want to come home to my own bed though.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Are you married, with kids? If yes: stay put.

Travel itself isn't so bad, but depending on what you do preparing to travel can be the real b!tch.

So, what else can you tell about the work?

Short answer; if the $$$ is great staying put, and you LIKE being there, then I'd opt for staying put.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The first four years after college I traveled about 80% of the time , I'd be in a new place every two days or so. It was cool for about a year and then it started to suck. At least in my situation I was working long hours so I never got to do more than work eat then sleep. But the worst part is that no matter how well you plan a good percentage of the time you don't make it home when you want to. I can't tell you the number of times I missed things because of canceled flights. I've had many great relationships that got ruined because I couldn't always be there when I said I was. Nothing sucks more than sitting in an airport killing time when you wanted to be riding, at a party, hanging with your girl. I hate traveling for work anymore and it has kind of ruined pleasure travel for me. I think the most depressing part is I came to the conclusion that for the most part every town in the US is the same, same McDonalds Walmart etc. United States of Generica. I've traveled to Brazil and England it it wasn't that much different.

Of course I know some people who love it. But honestly they seem to be the types of people who would do anything to get away from their wife.

If you can do it for a year or two and have a way to get out after that go for it. But if this is a long term commitment I wouldn't do it.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
The $ is great either way. It's $$$ if I leave, $$$$$ if I stay. While I'm between $-$$ now (and content for the most part).

It's kinda a mind game for me, like "the grass is always greener". My current job is great, but I honestly find it kinda boring and have a hard time getting motivated lately. It is cool that I get all my holiday shopping done from the comfort of my desk.

The new one is working for a type of resort/hospitality/service company that focuses solely on premier locations. I would be fixing a lot of their current problems (they have a lot of problems) and then working on expansion. They hope to double in size over the next five years or so. They are currently not profitable, but are WELL backed financially (with significant assets).

A switch would be riskier, harder work, not as much pay and intrinsically rewarding.

I don't like the idea of staying put because I keep thinking about what I'm missing.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
yea ... the grass is never greener.

how about finding new responsibilities at your current gig? You go tell your boss that you feel under-utilized and ask if there is anything more you can be doing for the company. Even if he says no you'll make a positive impression, and you'll still have the good-paying job close to home.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
yea ... the grass is never greener.

how about finding new responsibilities at your current gig? You go tell your boss that you feel under-utilized and ask if there is anything more you can be doing for the company. Even if he says no you'll make a positive impression, and you'll still have the good-paying job close to home.
I work for a rediculously small company.. which makes it ironic that I'm bored. The reason I'm bored is because I'm good at my job and my projects are rolling well. Sometimes crap happens and I get slammed. Comes in waves.

Essentially I can't really make a "positive impression" because.. um.. the work is done. I have taken initiative and re-designed a few of our internal systems.. but that's mostly done. Everybody else here has done this for so long they are perfectly complacent to do it the way it's always been done.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
in that case thank your lucky stars you've got it good and think about all the things you'll be able to do once the extra cash rolls in.

You hiring? :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
life is short, and its a big fvcking world. Personally, i want to see as much of it as possible. Money comes and goes, but seeing the world and experiencing all those cool things/places would be priceless.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
I definitly dig on traveling for work...then again I still qualify as young and carefree. But hey who doesn't like worked comped meals and hotels?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I used to be a 100k/yr flier. Travelled extensively through EU and Asia going to 'cool events/places' for active sports jobs. I eventually lived in the EU for 3 years. Great times but it took its toll on my relationships, my liver and hobbies. And that was during the hey-day of business travel when it wasn't nearly as miserable as today.

As for 'missing out', while I had amazing experiences on work trips they were still work. I now only travel for fun and it's so much nicer to not be the twitching premier member at the front of the boarding line.

If you can do it short term and have something good waiting for your return then go for it. It's always good to blow out the pipes. But seriously evaluate your personal life to determine if more interesting work will erode what you hold dear.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
life is short, and its a big fvcking world. Personally, i want to see as much of it as possible. Money comes and goes, but seeing the world and experiencing all those cool things/places would be priceless.
..But seriously evaluate your personal life to determine if more interesting work will erode what you hold dear.

These two quotes seem to sum up the dilemma quite well.

It's a personal decision. I appreciate you guys help.

*edit* and yes, I realize that I am extremely lucky. I've been very fortunate. It's an odd thing to complain about.. cake or pie?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't like the idea of staying put because I keep thinking about what I'm missing.
I always like "regret what you did, not what you didn't do" as guidance in life.

But there's no way of knowing what will make you happier. I pretty much travel for a living as well, and I like it. It might get old, and the grass always gets greener on the other side of the fence the longer you do anything.

I say go for it. But I also have the benefit of a (currently) very adaptable and adventurous spouse to color my view of things.

I should know at the end of this week whether I'll be working in Beirut or Burundi for the next two years.

Oh, and it'll destroy your regular riding. I'm not finding that to be as awful as I'd thought...I appreciate every ride more, although I'm not riding as fast as I used to. (Which makes nostalgia dangerous...)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would only take a job like that if I flew business or first class. As Dan-o I traveled a lot in Europe when it was business only and it worked out nice. It just sucks to travel as you eat out too much and don't get to work out.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I travel for work quite often (as I am sitting in a hotel in Houston, TX). I will share a few thoughts.

It can be fun, and the frequent flyer miles are always nice, but it takes a toll.

Here is my current rant (although I really enjoy my job)

I no longer ride every Tues and Thur after work. I am lucky if I get to ride on the weekend.

Its great when you get to socialize with new people or clients, but at least 50% of the time you are finding the closest resteraunt you recognize and rolling up to the bar solo. Or in the case that I did tonight, ordering a pizza to the room because you werent sure where to head.

When you do get home you are trying to get all the little chores that you normally do during the week done. Picking up dry cleaning is normally an easy thing, just hope it is open when you get home from the airport. The never ending battle of keeping milk that isn't expired in the fridge. Or how about those left overs you thought would hold just another few days...

I guess it would be cooler if you were headed to new and exciting places most of the time. However that is not typically the case for me.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I only go through airports/fly once or twice a year and even that small amount gives me the sh*ts, so I can't imagine doing it every week.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I would be worried about post Merger, if I were you...

I travel a lot internationally for my job it has good and bad points, airports are a pain in the ass, seeing the world is cool... I guess I like it.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I travel a lot for work - 99% internationally.
Yeah, it can get old. Yeah, it can be exhausting. Seeing the world can be cool...when you're not in meetings or trying to get to the next destination.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
...I no longer ride every Tues and Thur after work. I am lucky if I get to ride on the weekend.

Its great when you get to socialize with new people or clients, but at least 50% of the time you are finding the closest resteraunt you recognize and rolling up to the bar solo. Or in the case that I did tonight, ordering a pizza to the room because you werent sure where to head.

When you do get home you are trying to get all the little chores that you normally do during the week done. Picking up dry cleaning is normally an easy thing, just hope it is open when you get home from the airport. The never ending battle of keeping milk that isn't expired in the fridge. Or how about those left overs you thought would hold just another few days...

I guess it would be cooler if you were headed to new and exciting places most of the time. However that is not typically the case for me.
This is very helpfull.

To give you an idea, the exciting destinations include, but are not limited to:
US: napa, manhattan, aspen, telluride, scottsdale, kiwah SC, HI
World: cabo, carribean, brazil, switzerland, italy, paris, london, etc.

I signed a non-disclosure agreement so they emailed me a bunch of financials today. Time to get a learnin'.

I also should buy somebody lunch or something to get inside skinny's on the merger progress.

:clue::pirate2:

BillT

Monkey
In my previous job, I traveled about 75% of the time and it got old fast. My experience was very similar to Rob's - eating alone, cramming the weekend with chores that you could have done during the week, etc. Getting airline status/FF miles and AMEX rewards points for expense reimbursments was nice, but didn't make up for lost time.

In my new job, I travel about 6-8 weeks out of the year which is just about perfect. I go to Europe once a year, Asia once, and then to various resort areas (Park City, Tahoe, Las Vegas, Hilton Head, etc) throughout the year. This is enough travel to be perfect - I get out of town just enough and always get to go to a nice location. If I had to travel more than 50% of time, I'd need a big pay increase along with a Monday - Thursday, "work" at home on Friday schedule.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
I do occasionally. I'm starting to get some attention nationally somehow and have attracted quite a few travel weddings. I turn them down unless they are somewhere interesting and then I stay for a few days and check out the scene. If I HAD to travel though, I'd find a new career. I love new places but I hate dealing with airlines/hotels/cabs/rental car places etc etc

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
i travel tons, my old man typically travels about 75k miles flying a year, and my uncle flies about 125k miles a year and all of us will tell you that it gets very old, very fast. even with getting paid good money, it still doesnt help with the exhaustion and not being home in your own bed every night. although getting paid good money makes it a lot easier to deal with.
if you got a wife or g/f ask them, then do the opposite.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So what did you decide to do?

I just came across this thread in a search, and i'll throw in my two cents.

I travel quite a bit, and it is fun to an extent. I go to a lot of "exotic" places (REALLY nice resorts, beaches, etc) but it does get a bit taxing. When I go I rarely go for longer than 3 days. All my friends think it is soo cool, but they don't understand that I get to the airport, go through security, see the inside of the airplane, get to the airport, wait for my bags, see the inside of a cab/towncar, see the inside of a hotel for 3 days, see the inside of a cab/towncar, go through security, get on an airplane, and then i'm home.

There really is no "experiencing" where I am going. It sounds pretty snobby, but all the Ritz's, Grand Hyatts, etc all look the same, and banquet food gets old quick.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
So what did you decide to do?
Thanks everyone for the continued input. I've actually put them on hold till after the new year. I'm too "busy" now, then I'll be on "vacation", so we'll continue the discussion then.

I'm already working on two of their projects as a consultant now.. so it's not like they need me under their roof right away.

Also after the new year I have a short trip planned with the person driving the merger.. who happens to be the person I would be working directly under. So, I'll get to pick her brain.