Quantcast

It's been a month... what do you think of the new forum software?

What do you think of the new site?

• Total voters

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's been a bit more than a month with the new software now. There are still a few minor things to fix, including some upcoming tweaking to the post layout, but most of the bugs are resolved and I've been steadily tweaking along the way.

So... with a month to let the shock wear off, what do you think now? Better/worse/indifferent?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I did not like it at first. I have drank enough since the roll out that I don't even remember the old layout. Feels like I have been at home the whole time.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Can't you make the layout use the whole browser window? I'm feeling I have about 30% of the space wasted, and it would really improve our experience, especially when reading long posts...

Also, sometimes I find it hard to tell when a thread has new messages, especially when browsing the mobile version. The bold typeface used is too similar to the one used in not-updated threads.

Other than that, the new design is much more intuitive and I feel like it encourages interaction between the users.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Can't you make the layout use the whole browser window? I'm feeling I have about 30% of the space wasted, and it would really improve our experience, especially when reading long posts...
I completely agree with you and can do nothing about it. Sorry. The company who owns RM requires its sites to maintain a fixed width layout so they have predictable and consistent templates for ad layouts (not so much for banners but other types of layouts like backgrounds, or "bridges" across the header, or other special-purpose ads).

Also, sometimes I find it hard to tell when a thread has new messages, especially when browsing the mobile version. The bold typeface used is too similar to the one used in not-updated threads.
Fair point - you know the blue dot marks threads that have unread messages, right?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I like it. (I think I'm too new to say this, and will get rapped on the knucles for it, but dare I say it's fuckin awesome!)

I like that I can open threads directly on the newest message. No scrolling though the old horsepoop, straight to the new horsepoop....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I like it. (I think I'm too new to say this, and will get rapped on the knucles for it, but dare I say it's fuckin awesome!)
:rofl:

You know the community has been around for a while when someone thinks they're "too new" having been around a paltry 6 years and nearly 2,000 posts.

Glad you love it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah I like it, the only cuss word you could use on the old site was the C Bomb and that's taking things a bit far.

It still seems sorta narrow but that may just be the coloring or my smallish computer(or me being a computing retard).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It still seems sorta narrow but that may just be the coloring or my smallish computer(or me being a computing retard).
It's the same width as the vBulletin site. Actually, there's slightly more space for post text than on vB because the avatar/poster info piece is slightly narrower.

Would have liked to make it wider but unfortunately it's not my decision.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I completely agree with you and can do nothing about it. Sorry. The company who owns RM requires its sites to maintain a fixed width layout so they have predictable and consistent templates for ad layouts (not so much for banners but other types of layouts like backgrounds, or "bridges" across the header, or other special-purpose ads).

Fair point - you know the blue dot marks threads that have unread messages, right?
Arrgh, now I feel like an @$$... I haven't noticed the blue dots...

Wishlist: Google/Google + integration? I don't have (and I don't think I'll ever have) a facebook/twitter account...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah ok haha it is me being a tard, for some reason I had it in my head that there was ad space outside the main body at the top. Can you make the Bike Mag news at the side white text on black? May make it stand out a bit more as it just looks like ads now if you are just skimming pages.

Also is it just me that can't get the top banner ad to resize? I'm seeing a big block of white inside the frame.
I should read the real thread on this ;)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Only thing I have at the moment is when I go back to the forum overview after a little while all the thread takes a little jump and move down so I end up hitting wrong threads. Its using Chrome.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wishlist: Google/Google + integration? I don't have (and I don't think I'll ever have) a facebook/twitter account...
Jeezus. Nice catch, that was fully implemented in the beta site and I apparently never transitioned it over to production.

It'll be done today.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i like it A LOT. Everything works, it's so weird. Search works great, editing posts/moderating posts works well, 1 click view new...cool.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This is now complete, you can associate your account with your Google credentials under the "External Accounts" when you click on your username.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This is now complete, you can associate your account with your Google credentials under the "External Accounts" when you click on your username.
Serious question, but what does that do? What kind of features or benefit is there to linking my Google credentials? I tend to not link my forum accounts to any Google or social media accounts.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Serious question, but what does that do? What kind of features or benefit is there to linking my Google credentials? I tend to not link my forum accounts to any Google or social media accounts.
For any of the social accounts, linking just prevents you from having to actually log in with your RM credentials. When you're logged in on the social account, you're logged into RM.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I like that I can open threads directly on the newest message. No scrolling though the old horsepoop, straight to the new horsepoop....
This is by far my favorite feature of the new site. It makes browsing other forums painful in comparison. Overall I like the new software, it's easy to use and no issues that I have noticed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Go to unread post was in vB forever, too. I think it is about on par with the old site now, with the exception of animated gif transparency being borked.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Corporate Overlords? I hope you are getting paid, seriously.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It would be cool if the main page showed latest forum posts instead of latest started threads.

Minor complaint that, mostly think the changes have been for the better.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It would be cool if the main page showed latest forum posts instead of latest started threads.

Minor complaint that, mostly think the changes have been for the better.
Agreed.

Good otherwise, it seems natural to use.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It is cripplingly slow to load on both my phone and work comp. It is only this site that has those issues. The notification of replies is nice, but doesn't help the underlying issue of slow loading.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Mostly good is my impression.
Only two faults really?
the Mmike birthday infection seems to have carried over to the new site
I don't seem to have been upgraded to moderator to help my war against Mmike and his Bbirthdays.

So yeah other than that all good. :)

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
My one pet peeve for the new software (since I can't reverse the post over of threads) is that when you go to a thread that you've already read it takes you to the very beginning. It doesn't matter that much for newer threads but when you click on a older thread like "random picture thread", it takes you to the very first post of the thread which I'd prefer it just took me to the end of it where the newest post is.