Quantcast

Its about that time again - Race Talk

STPIZZAY

Chimp
Nov 22, 2007
Sacramento
So Its That Time of Year Again
its finally starting to get warm again and your dusting off your bike and ordering some sweet new parts for it, maybe getting it lighter, who knows. We've all experienced it, that elevated heart rate and excitement that seems to follow even the mere thought of that split second where your waiting for the race announcer to blow that whistle, or finish counting down to zero. It can happen anywhere, at work, in the supermarket, even on the can when your reading that sweet new issue of bike magazine you couldn't wait to pick up at the news stand. That's what its all about, that rush brought on by the mere thought of the race. but what about all those thousands of little things you do before the race, and during the race race itself that give you that edge, those little things we learn from years of racing and trial and error that prepare our bikes for the race, and keep them shifting well and rolling during the race itself. We also do those little things for ourselves that might prevent cramping during the race, like doing that certain stretch or eating that certain food.
What do you do that helps you the most on race day? What creative tips and tricks would you want to pass on to other members of the riding community?

Some of the things that I've had to learn the hard way are to always hydrate as much as possible before and during the race. I eat oatmeal made with apple juice instead of water for breakfast, followed by a banana. For muddy courses i give all my components, SPD's and cleats a good spray down with WD-40 to help shed mud and keep everything rolling smooth. And i always do a good long warm up, and leave time to stretch deep after the warm up, before the race, while hydrating with plain water. Nothing will help prevent cramping more than good stretching with water beforehand. I always try to start fast right off the line, and then settle around 3rd place, close enough to the leader to remain a contender for 1st, while letting the 1st and 2nd place guys pull and wear themselves out.

Those are some things that i try and do, whats your system? What gives you an edge on raceday? Feel free to share, hopefully we can all walk away with some good new advice.

Last edited: