Quantcast

Is WIFI too expensive for cities- help me understand IT

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
All these cities wanted to off free WiFi for their citizens, but know cities like Chicago say it's too expensive- doesn't make sense to me. Is it true or just politics and/or corporate greed??

From: http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/08/29/wireless.chicago.ap/index.html

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- An ambitious plan to blanket the city with wireless broadband Internet will be shelved because it is too costly and too few residents would use it, Chicago officials said Tuesday.

Chicago officials say they won't go ahead with plan to blanket the 228 square mile city with wireless Internet.

"We realized -- after much consideration -- that we needed to reevaluate our approach to provide universal and affordable access to high speed Internet as part of the city's broader digital inclusion efforts," Chicago's chief information officer, Hardik Bhatt, said in a statement.

The plan to blanket Chicago's 228 square miles with wireless Internet access was announced early last year when Chicago leaders said they hoped to become one of the largest cities to offer all-over access to the Web.

Instead, the city said its negotiations with private-sector partners, including EarthLink Inc., have stalled because any citywide Wi-Fi would require massive public financing. The city had hoped to provide only infrastructure for the network.

Tuesday's announcement makes Chicago the latest in a string of municipalities to encounter troubles with their municipal broadband initiatives because of ballooning budgets and dwindling usage that's led to scant revenue generated by the projects. About 175 U.S. cities or regions have citywide or partial systems.

"But given the rapid pace of changing technology, in just two short years, the marketplace has altered significantly," Bhatt said.

Atlanta-based EarthLink, which had been negotiating with Chicago about the municipal network, has said it was studying the performance of its existing municipal wireless Internet networks before deciding how to move forward with similar networks elsewhere.

"We're seeing this evolve as we learn more about these networks, and the city needs to think about this again from its own business perspective," Tom Hulsebosch, a vice president of EarthLink's municipal sales, told the Chicago Tribune.

Meanwhile, Chicago will be among the first three cities nationwide to have access to a new high-speed wireless network that's part of an emerging technology called WiMax.

Sprint Nextel Corp. announced plans this spring to offer wireless Internet speeds that match DSL and cable TV modems.

WiMax is derived from the same technology as Wi-Fi. Unlike Wi-Fi, which provides wireless Internet access over a several-hundred-foot range, a WiMax signal can blanket a much wider area. E-mail to a friend

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Downtown Portland has been free for a long time. Forest Grove "business district" went wireless late last year. I know for Portland, it's sponsored by a board of businesses or something.

Starbucks obviously still thinks it's too costly seeing how they still charge A LOT for access.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I hope it doesn't cause cancer because my kids bedroom is right next to my wifi transmitter. I don't think it's near enough energy to alter ceullular structures.

So I guess WiMax should be cheaper, but technically why would that be?? You still have the same number of people logging on, so wouldn't bandwith be the same?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So I guess WiMax should be cheaper, but technically why would that be?? You still have the same number of people logging on, so wouldn't bandwith be the same?
I'm going to just guess it's about hardware purchase and installation. Sounds like you'd need 10x the amount of WiFi boxes and manhours for install to get the same coverage?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's all about coverage. You need a huge number of WiFi boxes to cover a city like Chicago, especially since WiFi doesn't do so well through walls. It's enormously expensive to install wireless access points all along the way, especially because all of those access points have to be capable of handling a much larger amount of traffic than they'll actually experience (as will the WiMax boxes, but there will be fewer of them so the total amount of excess traffic that needs to be handled will be minimized).

When they go down, you need technicians to drive to them and repair them. When you upgrade them, you need to upgrade that many more boxes. When you change settings, it needs to hit that many more places...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Yes, especially when your inner city schools are crumbling and can't afford books, let alone computers.

Sure, in the long-term it would spur the economy by attracting businesses and higher education/income residents, but you've got to put out the fires first.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'm confused, when did internet access become a Right?
It's not a right, but something that ultimately generates more tax revenue than it costs, and doesn't involve lottery (stupid tax), is a good thing.

(Just not before they've got their ducks in a row)

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
It's not a right, but something that ultimately generates more tax revenue than it costs, and doesn't involve lottery (stupid tax), is a good thing.

(Just not before they've got their ducks in a row)
am intrigued by that.
not that i dont believe it, since it seems intuitively right, but is there data on that?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
If that chaps your ass...read about nikola tesla :) If he'd had his way, we wouldn't be paying for electricity or using wires. :D

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/mad-science/nikola-tesla/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
A "world system" for "the transmission of electrical energy without wires" that depends upon the electrical conductivity was proposed in which transmission in various natural mediums with current that passes between the two point are used to power devices. In a practical wireless energy transmission system using this principle, a high-power ultraviolet beam might be used to form a vertical ionized channel in the air directly above the transmitter-receiver stations. The same concept is used in virtual lightning rods, the electrolaser electroshock weapon,[45] and has been proposed for disabling vehicles.[46][47]
Tesla demonstrated "the transmission of electrical energy without wires" that depends upon electrical conductivity as early as 1891. The Tesla effect (named in honor of Tesla) is the archaic term for an application of this type of electrical conduction (that is, the movement of energy through space and matter; not just the production of voltage across a conductor).[48][19]:174

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
We had wifi along our main street for about 6 months. It's been shut down for about that long as well. We keep getting some governmental riff about legalities they're trying to work through to get it back. Funny, other cities have it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm just gonna find a neighbor who has an unsecured connection somewhere in my neighborhood and set up a bunch of Linksys wireless repeaters between his house and mine :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm just gonna find a neighbor who has an unsecured connection somewhere in my neighborhood and set up a bunch of Linksys wireless repeaters between his house and mine :D
I used to use my neighbors wireless cable connection because it was faster than my DSL until I got cable myself. I still use the guy around the corners signal when I have the laptop in the garage because I get a stronger signal from his(my garage is detached from the house).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It's all about coverage. You need a huge number of WiFi boxes to cover a city like Chicago, especially since WiFi doesn't do so well through walls. It's enormously expensive to install wireless access points all along the way, especially because all of those access points have to be capable of handling a much larger amount of traffic than they'll actually experience (as will the WiMax boxes, but there will be fewer of them so the total amount of excess traffic that needs to be handled will be minimized).

When they go down, you need technicians to drive to them and repair them. When you upgrade them, you need to upgrade that many more boxes. When you change settings, it needs to hit that many more places...
Could you explain to me why people think the Internet is free?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Could you explain to me why people think the Internet is free?
You mean that it's not just land waiting to be claimed???

Here's a novel approach for those that want access anywhere they go. Go buy a card and get a service. I for one don't want to pay taxes for people to dick off on Ridemonkey all day long at a bus stop. Stop being princesses. :rant:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You mean that it's not just land waiting to be claimed???

Here's a novel approach for those that want access anywhere they go. Go buy a card and get a service. I for one don't want to pay taxes for people to dick off on Ridemonkey all day long at a bus stop. Stop being princesses. :rant:
I pay for it at home. But I also use it on the bus, on the train, at the bus stop, or where ever I might be near a house or apartment.

I'm not going to pay for a cell card and get crappy speeds when I can leech for free.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I pay for it at home. But I also use it on the bus, on the train, at the bus stop, or where ever I might be near a house or apartment.

I'm not going to pay for a cell card and get crappy speeds when I can leech for free.
If you are taxed to pay for it, or people are taxed that won't, then it's not free. Just sayin'.

I understand the convenience, and would use it for free too, but it's not something I would ever expect.