Quantcast

Is wider better?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've been reading in places that a wider bar is better for downhill. Any truth to this?

From an article I was reading:
As an instructor, I’m constantly trying to work on getting riders in the proper position on their bikes. One of the best things I’ve done for my own riding is to get bars that fit my body properly. Now when I look back at old pictures and video of myself, I’m surprised I was able to ride as well as I was with standard width bars. Having bars which are too narrow force the riders elbows in and put a lot of pressure into the shoulders when braking, which keeps the riders’ center of gravity too high in their body. Within minutes of changing to wider bars, I could feel the changes I was able to make as a result. Riding in what I call the ‘throne’ position has always been a goal of mine, and getting bars that fit me properly made an immediate difference to my body position, which not only made me feel faster and better positioned, but also gave me greater control due to the leverage they provide.” - Simon Lawton
Right now I am on a 28" Funn Fatboy. At the end of a big day of riding my hands hurt, my back is jacked, but that might just be due to being out of shape and not having had a Whistler to ride for the past few years.

Would going to a wider bar (Let's say 30" to 31") really help my riding? Would it buy me longer on the saddle? But what about tight, technical stuff? Other then the obvious clipping a bar on a tree, would the extra inches give me too much leverage?

Its the story of my life, always wishing for 3" more...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I think 28" is the perfect length. ...
because you have ridden with wider bars and not liked them..or just because that is what you are used to?

What about larger and smaller people? Should they all ride what you think is appropriate for yourself?

I dont know anyone who has gone to wider bars (29 - 30") (on an appropriate bike) and gone back to smaller ones.

fellow pinner

Monkey
May 18, 2007
over there
ive tried 31.5 those were to wide when i was 5.7 now im about 5. 10 and on 30 in and their great. it depends of the bike the rider and the terrain.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
It really depends on how wide your shoulders are, I have really wide shoulders so my 31.5 fsa bars feel perfect. For alot of riders though the wide bars are just a trend.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
I've been reading in places that a wider bar is better for downhill. Any truth to this?

Right now I am on a 28" Funn Fatboy. At the end of a big day of riding my hands hurt, my back is jacked, but that might just be due to being out of shape and not having had a Whistler to ride for the past few years.

Would going to a wider bar (Let's say 30" to 31") really help my riding? Would it buy me longer on the saddle? But what about tight, technical stuff? Other then the obvious clipping a bar on a tree, would the extra inches give me too much leverage?

hmm, you wishing for 3 inches more? Or 3 inches wider :biggrin:

I have a 12" bit of man candy betwixt my thighs...
from thread http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205059

15 inches is rather overkill. Does your wife really crave that much? Or are you too lazy to get 2 ribs removed so you can orally pleasure yourself a la Marilyn Manson :busted:

:banana:

that being said, i love my sunline 29.5 IMO i like the feel of the ride over the 28 bars

Last edited:

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
because you have ridden with wider bars and not liked them..or just because that is what you are used to?

What about larger and smaller people? Should they all ride what you think is appropriate for yourself?

I dont know anyone who has gone to wider bars (29 - 30") (on an appropriate bike) and gone back to smaller ones.
My teammate Geritt Beytagh actually prefers his 28" bars to the 29.5" sunlines he ran last season. I on the other hand, at 6'3, wish I didn't cut my 32" bars down to 30"! Alot of it depends on height and shoulder width. Give it a try; if you don't like it, you can always cut them down to a length you're more comfortable with.

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
I like 29.5" Sunline V1's and I run them on two bikes. 28" bars are OK, but the 29.5's just feel better to me.

I've tried the 31.5" bars... they were just silly, in my opinion.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
I put a set of the Sunline V1's on a couple weeks ago & I'll never go back to a narrower bar, huge difference!

It's hard to explain, but it just FEELS right, it my elbows up in the 'attack' position' where they should be & just makes you feel overall more aggresive on the bike.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Dirt, its really going to depend on the rider, not the terrain, while a 28 in bar is perfect for some, someone with narrower shoulders it will be a problem.

If your shoulders are really killing you, try rolling your bar forward just a touch.

As far as arm pump, try moving your brake levers in further on the bars, and bring the levers closer to the bar, that way you can grab it with your index finger, and and keep a nice grip on the bar without overreaching with your hand, might also try turning them down a bit too..... try to keep them where they keek your wrists inline with your forearm while your in your attach position. Again that will be a little different per rider

Again, I couldnt agree more Dave. I think the wide bar on every DH bike is too much of a fad. Some people stupid wide bars a re arelly good thing, but three defently not for everyone. thats something we learned about with fitting the road bikes, just something else that translates over. Oc coarse, your not going to be anywear near as exact with the DH, but still bar width will just depend on the person.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
It's hard to explain, but it just FEELS right, it my elbows up in the 'attack' position' where they should be & just makes you feel overall more aggresive on the bike.
This is the point of wide bars. To put you in the right position to attack the trail. Of course, you can do that with narrower bars, but why put the stress on your body? Not to mention, you have to remember to force yourself into that position. Sure, not everyone should go wide. I wouldn't go wide on a freeride bike.

For those people that keep bringing up the whole, "it's a fad" argument for everything they don't agree with in this forum, if we all had your attitude we'd never have the bikes we have today, or be riding what we ride. It's called evolution, not fad. :crazy:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
This is the point of wide bars. To put you in the right position to attack the trail. Of course, you can do that with narrower bars, but why put the stress on your body? Not to mention, you have to remember to force yourself into that position. Sure, not everyone should go wide. I wouldn't go wide on a freeride bike.

For those people that keep bringing up the whole, "it's a fad" argument for everything they don't agree with in this forum, if we all had your attitude we'd never have the bikes we have today, or be riding what we ride. It's called evolution, not fad. :crazy:
Ok, let me clear up what I said just a bit. Alot of people in the last year.... Have wanted wider bars... because "Its whats needed" My problem with that statement is that I am a big guy, 28 in bars are great for me, but I have these kids wanting 30 in bars that are half my size, and half my shoulder width. A 30 in bar isnt right for them.

The fad part I mention, is when someone just wants the wide bars just because its what others have. Please understand I think widerbars a great for those that they are needed for.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I switched to wider bars on my rig a little while back and noticed a major difference in how the bike handled...for the better. Much more control when laying the bike down in corners and way better overall stability. Mine are around 29-30" wide and that's perfect for me (pretty average sized guy on the thin side).
Since this was my all-mtn bike, I went back to the 26" bars I had on prior so I could reclaim my x-ups. While I can do those again, I have noticed a drop-off in my cornering abilities. I'm having to make major adjustments to come remotely close to what I was able to achieve with the wider bars.

As far as the tight sections/trees thing, I never had any problems on the wider bars since they gave me much more control over my bike.

You oughta' take up davep on his offer so you can find out for yourself.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I like my 28's personally, i barely clip my bars on trees a lot. I have parking lot tested some really wide bars 31.5, I think, and they felt stupid to me. up to 30in seems reasonable to me, any wider and you have to around the trees instead of between them.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
i got 30.75" on both my dj/all mountain and dh bike and i dont find it too weird, its great on my dh bike. i came from short bars on my old dh bike and the difference is huge, i've also never ever had a problem with them hooking on tree's. just take a look at minnaars, peaty's, hills and all the other pro dhers bikes. sam is 5'8" and runs 760mm(30inch) bars. steve peat is 6'3" and when you look at him riding, his bars look stupid wide:) yes, wider is better!!! within reason though

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I am a bigger brother, I sport a 50" jacket size, so I am big through the shoulders from a lot of years of rugby and military presses. I just find my shoulders worn out after a day of riding, not to mention my wrists. The again, as I approach 31 and being over weight, I might just be a big pvssy...

Dirt, I have a set of gravity 31.5"s you can throw on your rig if you want to try them....
Would you mind letting me take them for a rip in BC?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I switched to wider bars on my rig a little while back and noticed a major difference in how the bike handled...for the better. Much more control when laying the bike down in corners and way better overall stability. Mine are around 29-30" wide and that's perfect for me (pretty average sized guy on the thin side).
Since this was my all-mtn bike, I went back to the 26" bars I had on prior so I could reclaim my x-ups. While I can do those again, I have noticed a drop-off in my cornering abilities. I'm having to make major adjustments to come remotely close to what I was able to achieve with the wider bars.

As far as the tight sections/trees thing, I never had any problems on the wider bars since they gave me much more control over my bike.

You oughta' take up davep on his offer so you can find out for yourself.
:imstupid:

I went with some deity 30's and cut them down to about 29...the wider bar makes a huge difference in corners you can really force the bike around and make it do what you want it to do...Occasionally ill have an oh sh1t moment where i almost clip a tree in the tight stuff but you get used to realizing where your bars are...

go for it

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
So I'm about 5'8" what would you guys suggest for a bar size.
Get in push-up position and have someone measure from the outside of one hand to the outside of the other hand. You can also do this yourself, just stretch a tape out on the floor.

I went 30 and am never going back. The control and power I have over the front end is amazing. I contribute it to geting my weight more forward and my arms into proper positioning.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
So I'm about 5'8" what would you guys suggest for a bar size.
It has to do with your shoulder width, not your height. I am 5'4" and run 29.5 sunlines (came off the 28 sunlines) and they feel perfect. I am placed over the front of the bike more naturally now and find the overall riding experience is much more comfy. I recently hopped on a bike with 28s and couldn't believe how obviously smaller the bars felt...odd.

Start with some 28s and work your way from there (and of course sweep and rise are important factors in how you are placed over your bike too :) )

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Comfort is great, but as others said, its nopt your height that decides bar width, its your shoulder width

what ever feels comfy, sam hill is 5'8" runs 30inch bars but others will think thats too wide for 5'8"

This is a pretty good way to measure your shoulders, as of now, there really isnt a standard for figuring bar width for DH/shoulpder width. So we are still working on that.

Get in push-up position and have someone measure from the outside of one hand to the outside of the other hand. You can also do this yourself, just stretch a tape out on the floor.

I went 30 and am never going back. The control and power I have over the front end is amazing. I contribute it to geting my weight more forward and my arms into proper positioning.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Apologies for dragging this up but wanted to add my 2c to this...

I fitted a Deity Dirty 30 bar on the weekend, swapping out from my Truvativ 28" bar. I would never have thought that an inch wider on either end would make such a difference but it really did. It seems to be a much better position for my wrists and after doing a 30 minute downhill on rough, rocky and root infested trails I wasn't left with the dull ache in my wrists that I usually have. I felt more invincible than normal taking some riskier lines and feeling more in control of the bike than normal. Picking up the front end seemed a little easier too which helped for manualling through some of the rougher sections.

I stand at 6'2" and am fairly broad in the shoulder, so I really think that this swap will help me in the longer term, especially with my shoulders. I always have a tight spot between my shoulder blades from riding, so next time I have a massage we'll see if the knots that I have there are as bad as normal. :)

It does make sense that the broader in shoulder that you are, the wider the bar needed. I don't know what the ratio should be but it probably has something to do with the angle of your arm to the bar and some clever person out there will work it out. Right now I'm a happy man as my arms were way less fatigued at the end of the run which bodes well for doing some racing in the next few weeks.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
It really depends on how wide your shoulders are, I have really wide shoulders so my 31.5 fsa bars feel perfect. For alot of riders though the wide bars are just a trend.
FTW!
bars are like pants, gotta get the right size. off the rack fits may require tailoring.