Quantcast

Is this the definitive death knell for 26" wheels?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Fox no longer to make the 34 for 26" wheels. Link.

The newer tires not being available in 26". DH now going to 650b on new bikes. And now one of the flagship forks from one of the major manufacturers not being offered in 26". Does this spell the end?

I must admit, I'm pretty pissed. Given what a whole new bike costs nowadays, I don't want to have to replace my whole bike once parts on my current ride wear out or break. But I may not have much choice given this proliferation of new standards...

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
You can even fit a 27.5 wheel in some 26 forks. You'll survive, I promise.

I get the angst though. It always sucks to be forced to do shit.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Fox no longer to make the 34 for 26" wheels. Link.

The newer tires not being available in 26". DH now going to 650b on new bikes. And now one of the flagship forks from one of the major manufacturers not being offered in 26". Does this spell the end?

I must admit, I'm pretty pissed. Given what a whole new bike costs nowadays, I don't want to have to replace my whole bike once parts on my current ride wear out or break. But I may not have much choice given this proliferation of new standards...
This is one of the reasons that I sold both of my bikes last year and went to 650b over the off season, not because I wanted to do it per say, but because I wanted to get some $$ out of my trail bike before parts started to become obscure enough for the bike to lose it's value.
Is this really worth complaining about? Whats the axle to crown difference between the 26 and 27.5 versions?
the axle on a fox 40 lower is about 3/4 different in the axle to crown world, and about 3/4" off set compared to a 26".

I had exact measurements at one point.

Yeah, the 26" tire will fit, and vice versa in many cases, but that doesn't change the legitemate grimpe that slyfink has.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
looks like its time to incorporate our own company and specialize in 26" sizes for luddites. collectively we know enough and have enough connections to source whatever we need from taiwan.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Makes sense. No OE sales anymore and people buying 26" forks ATM know what they want...and that is not CTD.
I kind of agree, though making the LSC adjuster work on the "open" rather than "medium" setting sounds like a huge improvement.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I don't care because anyone w/ half a brain who follows this stuff should have seen this coming. Most of us on these forums are savvy enough to know this stuff and should have unloaded 26" stuff a bit ago. Many casual non caring mtb riders want to buy it. I know there are hold outs who are die hard 26" but there is such a small dif between the two wheels sizes I really don;t get it.

I am now 26" less except for my tonic fab dj bike which will stick around forever...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
but there is such a small dif between the two wheels sizes I really don;t get it.
I think that's the point. Their existing stuff is working great, they can still get the tires, rims, tubes, and they might have a spare fork in the closet... so there's no reason to change/spend a bunch more money for such a small difference.

Now, if you're in the camp that changes equipment (breaks carbon frame, etc.) every year, well you probably want to go 650b.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Whatever. If you wait long enough, you can buy a used 650b for cheap. I think it's going to be a long while before you have zero options. It's not like there is going to be a hard and fast cutoff date.

'No 26 for you!'

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Large 26" is not a standard option in our builder because there are very few people that are 6'1"+ that want 26" wheels. That being said, if somebody wants that config, it can be done.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think that's the point. Their existing stuff is working great, they can still get the tires, rims, tubes, and they might have a spare fork in the closet... so there's no reason to change/spend a bunch more money for such a small difference.

Now, if you're in the camp that changes equipment (breaks carbon frame, etc.) every year, well you probably want to go 650b.
Dump - Ya I'm not saying 650 was needed, but it happened, we can't really fight the industry here, there are advantages I guess.They need to sell products I kinda get that...Wheel size argument is old at this point. I just think that us (meaning the ppl that should know better), should know better and prepare for this. My 650 hardtail rides just fine I don't miss my 26" and I'm not sour about changing it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm a 26 holdout and I still don't see this as a big deal. We've still got the Pike, Mattoc, and 36, all of which I would buy over a 34 (actually did, for 2/3). So, meh.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
^^^ Agreed. Another 26 holdout for whom a 34 was never a consideration. Guess Fox is saving $$ on cost of new molds for the lowers. I will worry if other revised forks eg: Pike/Mattoc start dropping the 26 options. I was overall reassured when a buddy who was at Taipei said that new Maxxis tires were coming and that they would have 26 as an option....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The death of the 26" bike comes not from the supply, but the demand. From what I see around here, and from my time in Seattle, trails are being built around big wheeled wide bar bikes. Old trails are having trees cut and corners opened up in the same way. Makes me a sad panda but I no longer care about having the latest and greatest and have about 6 years worth of bikes and parts to ride before I need something new.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Most of us on these forums are savvy enough to know this stuff and should have unloaded 26" stuff a bit ago.
That's right!

And if you couldn't figure out the next step, it's to ME. Unload all your high end 26" shit to ME. Enve and mavic wheels, mavic 729 rims, fox 36 and 40 forks, RS pikes, boxxers..........all to ME. You unload it right here. At prices that I will force you to humiliate yourself agreeing to. Because NO ONE wants that useless shit.

This is how it's to be done.

Last edited: