Quantcast

Is there a singlespeed frame in existence with the following features?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I'm thinking about a SS frame to replace one of my XC bikes, two of essentially the same bike is dumb.

It MUST have the following:

Singlespeed
Vertical dropouts
Eccentric BB
Disc mounts
Steel or Ti

Anything out there that fits all that? Or would I have to go fully custom?

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I can't think of anything off hand, off the shelf with those features.

Why not SS the Bridgestone out? Keep all your old parts so you can put it back together sometime. I mean, if your gonna build a SS, build it from a bike with some soul......:rolleyes:

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood

Why not SS the Bridgestone out? Keep all your old parts so you can put it back together sometime. I mean, if your gonna build a SS, build it from a bike with some soul......:rolleyes:
Well, I already did - which is what gave me the idea. It's sweet, but the only problem is no realistic gear ratios will work unless I use a tensioner (or dummy derailleur in this case) and it looks ghetto as all hell. So I was thinking of taking it a step up. I'm not terribly attached to the B-stone anyway, it's an extremely heavy frame as it was the low-end model.....

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by sub6
Well, I already did - which is what gave me the idea. It's sweet, but the only problem is no realistic gear ratios will work unless I use a tensioner (or dummy derailleur in this case) and it looks ghetto as all hell. So I was thinking of taking it a step up. I'm not terribly attached to the B-stone anyway, it's an extremely heavy frame as it was the low-end model.....
I've been thinking of doing a SS thing with the '85 Jamis I have, but it's the same thing. It's heavy, the geometry is weird, etc. I feel you on that bro, but the B-stone has SOUL.....:D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As I found out this weekend, chain tensioners suck. At least the ones that use a deraileur mount. It kind of ruins the simplicity and reliability of a singlespeed.

I have been looking at the W.I. eccentric rear hub. It aint cheap but it is cheaper than a new frame with an eccentric B.B.

Aug 11, 2003
Check out the Kona Explosif. If satisfies all but one of your criteria:

singlespeedable (adjustable dropouts)
vertical dropouts
disc tabs (move with dropout)
steel (platinum OX tubing, I believe)
no eccentric BB though

a bonus is that is has cable stops to run gears, just in case.

I just ordered mine on Friday to replace my steel XC bike (circa '96). I'll be running it primarily singlespeed but will keep my geared stuff to swap if need be.

Simon

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
As mentioned, On-One or get a White Industies ENO eccentric hub.

Also, check out Vulture, small builder out of Oregon. Last I checked $500 for custom geometry EBB SS. I think his price is low right now because he's trying to make a name for himself. Do a search on MTBR.com's SS board and you'll find some happy owners.

If you can live without the EBB, the Surly's got everything else for the right price.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Damn - y'all really REALLY came through!!! Thanks!!!!
There's quite a few very tempting options in this thread. I really love all the bikes mentioned here, this is gonna be reeeally tough....

Originally posted by henrymiller
What about a conversion, Gene Spicer will install an ebb and disc mounts to one of your xc frames.
Man. That is just about really frickin tempting, I was wondering about that option, if anybody did it. I don't know if it'd be worth it though with my tubeset, it's a "classic steel bike" but it's barely even butted, judging by the weight. I'm kinda tempted to keep it as-is and go with something a step or two up the scale for a decked-out SS.......

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Vulture does EBB conversions too. I'm guessing you'd want disc mounts added too. With that cost I'd just get a new frame.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
IF can make you a bike like that. w/ each of the options that you asked for at no additional cost to the retail price. or atleast i think that the EBB shell doesn't cost any extra.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
cool, good ideas, thanks.

I dunno if I can afford an IF or a Jericho at this point though, that's big big money. Oh well, you get what you pay for.;)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
cool, good ideas, thanks.

I dunno if I can afford an IF or a Jericho at this point though, that's big big money. Oh well, you get what you pay for.;)
It will be very hard to find an EBB frame below about $700 or so. If you want to go ti or steel I say save up and get an IF. It should last long enough to pay for itself, and it's custom inclusive.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
I'm thinking about a SS frame to replace one of my XC bikes, two of essentially the same bike is dumb.

It MUST have the following:

Singlespeed
Vertical dropouts
Eccentric BB
Disc mounts
Steel or Ti

Anything out there that fits all that? Or would I have to go fully custom?
on-one inbred. ti or steel- your choice!

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Originally posted by riderx
As mentioned, On-One or get a White Industies ENO eccentric hub.

Also, check out Vulture, small builder out of Oregon. Last I checked $500 for custom geometry EBB SS. I think his price is low right now because he's trying to make a name for himself. Do a search on MTBR.com's SS board and you'll find some happy owners.

If you can live without the EBB, the Surly's got everything else for the right price.
and to top it off, the head vulture (wade- welder/owner) is a true freak of a human- great guy!

gk02

Chimp
Apr 24, 2002
ionic is selling steel singlespeeds on sale for something like 550, with an extra 50 bucks for an ebb. Good frame for a real sweet price and im pretty sure you get to pick the color also.

E

endtroducing

dan, how about a 32nd anniversary full custom phil wood PISSOFF ?! (if you hit the lottery) i think IF might have actually built them too...

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by endtroducing
dan, how about a 32nd anniversary full custom phil wood
Wow that thing is a work of art, no wonder it is next to a mercedes, you've got to have deniros for this baby

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Originally posted by Deyv
Wow that thing is a work of art, no wonder it is next to a mercedes, you've got to have deniros for this baby
no kidding. take an IF single speed, put some fancy badges on it, and charge more greenbacks for it.

on that note, if i had the cash, you bet I'd have one!

J

JRB

Dean built some for Hammerhead that is the same geo as the HH 100X. It is Ti with Ecc BB and disc mounts. Dean is kinda slow and they are $1400 with a steel rigid fork. Nice though.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by slowSSer
no kidding. take an IF single speed, put some fancy badges on it, and charge more greenbacks for it.

on that note, if i had the cash, you bet I'd have one!
the only fancy badges they put on them were each head tube notes which # the frame actually is. i want to say that only 32 of them were made :confused: but yes that is an IF made bike.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Seven sells a EBB frame as well, if I'm not mistaken.

I like the "conversion" idea... might finally give me a use for a $12 Nashbar steel frame that I have hanging in my garage... :think:

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Should be available within the next couple of months...frame is set to retail at about $500. Steel, eccentric BB, vert DO's, disc mounts...and singlespeed of course! What more could you want?
:D

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by dhjill
Should be available within the next couple of months...frame is set to retail at about $500. Steel, eccentric BB, vert DO's, disc mounts...and singlespeed of course! What more could you want?
:D
That's sharp - but I agree with Colin, what size is that frame? The TT looks gigantic.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Originally posted by MMcG
That's sharp - but I agree with Colin, what size is that frame? The TT looks gigantic.
This frame is a medium and yes, the effective TT is long...about 24". The idea behind it is that since you spend so much time out of the saddle climbing, you don't want an overly short TT. By having it a little longer than a regular geared bike, you don't feel like you're constantly going to rack your knees on your stem...plus, it's just more comfortable when you are out of the saddle. It works...this bike climbs awesome. Raced the BB National on it which felt like it was about 70% climbing. Good stuff.:D

Fast Freddy

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
Ohio
You can get a steel EBB Singlespeed frame built up by Gene Spicer... www.spicercycles.com he can do a cromo custom geometry for $499 (according to his site).... and Gene is a good guy to work with I got a Ti EBB Disc frame from him about 9 months ago and love it.

Also rumors are abound that Phil Wood will offer a steel Disc EBB SS Frame this year.

Hope this helps
FF

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
All the previous are great suggestions. The only thing I have to add is swing over to mtbr.com and view their SS FAQ section. It's pretty comprehensive in terms of frame builders and other things ya may want to know....:thumb:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
what size frame are you looking for, sub6? there's a Hammerhead frame down here that Charles hasn't sold. he'd most likely give it to you cheap (relatively). it's Ti, EBB, disc only, and comes with a steel fork. they were made by DEAN with Charles' specs.

what kind of budget?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by the Inbred
what size frame are you looking for, sub6? there's a Hammerhead frame down here that Charles hasn't sold. he'd most likely give it to you cheap (relatively). it's Ti, EBB, disc only, and comes with a steel fork. they were made by DEAN with Charles' specs.

what kind of budget?
right now, $50. Me=broke. This will be something I do this summer when I get a real job.....:p

24" TT, 19" ST is my general geo. goal....