Quantcast

Is Sram introducing the 1 x 12?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
While on the drivetrain convo it is astonishingly crazy how low of gears you need in the snow.
Awe fuck, you mean I've been doing that wrong too!?? I've been using 32x11-36 for 3 winters and after reading this, it caught fire and exploded.

Although I will admit it's astonishing how heavy tubed aluminum rims and tires do not roll, you have to pedal it downhill to just move.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Which is more an argument against their construction method than the 12spd in general. If they were the same price as an XTR cassette, they'd still wear out, but be less painful to replace, but it's not as though XTR is cheap.

To play the devil's advocate, what's your cost per mile to ride a bike with an XX1 cassett vs an XTR? I just wore out the XX1 cassette that came on my bike, and was briefly bummed out at the prospect of buying another $400 cassette, then I thought about how many tires, fork seals, brake pads, fork and shock seals etc I've gone through in the same time-frame. Didn't seem so bad anymore, still doesn't make them cheap, but what sport can you use the best shit that the pros use for cheap?
No idea. I bought several XTR 9 speed Cassettes damn near a decade ago when 10 speed first came out. Suckers were on sale sub $100. Put thousands upon thousands of miles on that first cassette. It was a trooper, finally replaced it with my last 9 speed XTR in December.

Can't think of a better investment.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I guess i'm the only deekhead still on 9-speed. I love it. Is light, durable without alot of chain flapping around.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I just missed out on the 9 speed brigade.
Last year I made the switch from 9 speed to 10.
Went with the Praxxis wide range cassette (11-40)
Felt a little odd in the shifting jumps at first, but after a day or two felt fine.
Not quite as smooth as 9 speed, and needs a bit more fettling, but I do like the little extra range up top.
Don't really need anything more for my local riding.

Anyway, I like 10 speed, just means I don't have to take off my shoes and sock to count higher.