Quantcast

Is Race Face for real?

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I got this in an e-mail

BC, Canada (April 22, 2005) - For those cross-country riders who dream about competing in one of the most grueling marathon XC races on the planet, Race Face today announced the Ultimate XC Challenge (UXC) - a new online, peer-judged contest that will send two teams of two riders to compete in the 2005 TransRockies with all expenses paid.

Based on the wildly successful Race Face Ultimate Freeride Challenge, the UXC calls for riders who have chain grease and fork oil in their blood, the unsung heroes of the singletrack, the guys without contracts who grind it out at their day jobs to ride on the weekends for pure love of the sport... to represent Race Face in the 2005 TransRockies.

Riders who believe they are up to the challenge should have a strong race resume, and, more importantly, a Really Good Story (RGS) as to why they should be one of the chosen. The RGS portion needs to be submitted as a 90 second video explaining why they want to take part in one of the most punishing XC races in the world. Submissions must be received by June 15, 2005.

Similar to Ultimate Freeride Challenge, Race Face will take the top team submissions and post them online June 24th, 2005 for their online community to view and vote for which TWO teams should ride for Race Face at the 2005 Trans Rockies.

Winners of The Ultimate XC Challenge will be announced July 8th, 2005.

Once selected - the two teams will be flown to the TransRockies race with all entry fees paid by Race Face. They will be outfitted in Race Face components and clothing and be given Race Face team support throughout the 7 day race.

In the weeks leading up to the TransRockies and throughout the 7 day race, visitors to the Race Face web site will be able to learn more about our teams and follow their progress through daily updates by our support team.

Between flights, accommodations, and entry fees to the contest, the value of the UXC to the winners is over $10,000 per team! Additionally, Race Face, through it's partnerships with TransRockies, Bike Magazine and SMARAG Media and Ride Guide will document the UXC teams' story to the masses with television and magazine coverage!

As our two teams undertake one of the most memorable adventures of their lives, what emotions will they experience? What sort of pain will they endure and what will they learn about themselves? We will soon find out, in the Race Face Ultimate XC Challenge.

To recap the dates to remember:

June 15th - submission deadline

June 24th - selected teams go online for voting

July 8th - UXC winners are announced

August 7-13th - UXC winners compete in the TransRockies

For more information on the Race Face UXC and to download your application form, click through to: www.raceface.com/uxc

So are we going to get to watch some sick videos of guys tearing up a gnarly climb? How about some pictures of them puking their guts out after they win a local XC race? Or maybe we can watch them do endless road miles in preparation for this. Man these vidoes are going to be sick! I can't wait until they are online!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
That is awesome. This is going to involve way more creativity than any of the UFC videos did. It is a lot harder to represent a technical climb in a captivating manner than it is to show a 20' roof drop. The UFC videos were all really good, but it's pretty easy make a big jump look impressive in comparison to a tricky climb. I support Race Face on this, and I am not talking smack about the UFC, at least not in this thread.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Yeah I guess it will be harder to make a good video but I would still be willing to bet that 99% of all videos will be a yawn. I ride XC and appreciate the skill it takes but the last thing I want to do is watch some guys climb or poke down a technical descent.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
in a time where sponsorship for XC racers is almost nonexistent I think it's absolutely awesome that they would put something like this together for some talented racers and simply retarded for people to bitch about a company sending some guys out to the races.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
it sounds pretty cool. i think how interesting the videos will be will come from the persons riding style. when im doing xc usually in the flat sections im bombing along and pumping my bike around and on downhills i just let loose so it probably wouldnt look totally boring in a video.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
:thumb: to raceface! Cool idea, I might see if I can put together a submission, I've been craving to do a multi-day event. It's great to see that raceface's vision goes beyond the next big hucker, I loved the UFC, this should be pretty interesting.

The Ito

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
lol i wanna see the videos, crazy ppl in spandex charging up hills. I dont think it will be as interesting as the UFC. Maybe sanjay should enter jumping XC bikes and racing DH on XC bikes and doing big hucks on XC bikes, maybe he will win!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Posted by gschuette--

"Yeah I guess it will be harder to make a good video but I would still be willing to bet that 99% of all videos will be a yawn. I ride XC and appreciate the skill it takes but the last thing I want to do is watch some guys climb or poke down a technical descent."

Well, I for one have put together a video/entry for the TransRockies. And you know what?? You're right-- I'm not ashamed to say mine's a yawner. Granted, it has Lake Tahoe in the background (woopie!!). I'm also not ashamed to say that I'll be begging for votes, because the event is August 7-13, and Alaina's birthday is August 14. What a way to celebrate it, eh?? Now, what would I have to offer to "buy" your vote (heehee)???

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
ito said:
:thumb: to raceface! Cool idea, I might see if I can put together a submission, I've been craving to do a multi-day event. It's great to see that raceface's vision goes beyond the next big hucker, I loved the UFC, this should be pretty interesting.

The Ito
I always have thought that a POV shot of the front wheel while cleaning the Jesusita climb would be SICK to watch. If not a POV shot maybe a shot from just behind or in front of the rider. Anyway that climb is technical as hell and if you can clean it it's very impressive. Although it's not very long it's incredibly anaerobic if you ride it non-stop and power the tech sections which is mandatory to clean them.

Props to RF, I like the idea. It reminds me of the SC/ Weir death ride contest from about a year ago but with a broader scope.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
punkassean said:
I always have thought that a POV shot of the front wheel while cleaning the Jesusita climb would be SICK to watch. If not a POV shot maybe a shot from just behind or in front of the rider. Anyway that climb is technical as hell and if you can clean it it's very impressive. Although it's not very long it's incredibly anaerobic if you ride it non-stop and power the tech sections which is mandatory to clean them.

Props to RF, I like the idea. It reminds me of the SC/ Weir death ride contest from about a year ago but with a broader scope.
Ya, I've been wanting to get some footie on Jesusita for a while. The climb up is insanely technical, on a good day with my SS I can get about 80% of it, maybe more now, but it gets steep in a few sections. Steve and I were planning on doing some filming there later this summer.

The Ito

P.S. You going down to SB on the 11th or are you already there? If you have room I'm looking for a ride to the weekend event.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I can probably give you a ride but I think I'm heading down on thursday morning-ish. I will be taking the first load of crap down with me and I want to check out the course on Friday. If you can leave that early I can give you a ride.

I think at best I've linked about 85% of Jes. and that's having ridden it at least 75-100 times total. Some days I clean parts that are normally hard for me and other days I flail on easy stuff, you never know. I know Dr. Dave has cleaned it about 5 times and his buddy Dana ha cleaned it many times. Skillz yo. My place in SB will be near Jes and I think make that almost a daily ride and I'll try to clean that sucker soon.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
I cut my mountain biking teeth on Jesusita. I started riding after we moved onto Canon Drive(right next to Steven's Park where Jesusita ends). For a year or two while I lived there I was hitting jes 3-4 times a week. Favorite moment had to be beating Kelly Steelman up the climb on my slalom hardtail while he had a full 27 :D. That trails has caused quite a few scars for me.

I have finals that week, so I probably won't be able to go down Thursday, if it works out I'll let you know, but right now I think I'll try to find another ride. Have fun.

The Ito

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
it is a mountain and 2 wheels.
it is freeride at it's best.
call it whatever ya want...it's about time uphillers got some credit and not the flame.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
All this talk of Jesusita is making me itch. That trail is one big poison oak bush ;)

I wonder if this is actually a partnership with MXC the TV show. Get all the dirt roadies in some silly contest. Ha!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Sounds like a good event! Although, I find it strange that only riders from Canada win the UFC contests. Not to say that the folks who won weren't good riders, because they were all great riders, but there are good riders from all over the world, and it seems odd that all three winners were from Canada.

I'll put my money on a Canadian win the XC event! :sneaky:

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
i find it humourous that we can not win prizes from subscriptions to dirtrag/mtn bike/bicycling/........or any contests. The USA is eager to grab our collective dough and charge usurious rates unheard of any where else for a taste but F.O. if you want prizes.

lemme tell ya if i won that $6,000. bike I would gladly pay the duty and delivery charges.

That's why I canceled my subscriptions from abroad.

The ultimate UFC went to BCers almost 100% of the time...why...cause they can ride like no others.Race Face is truely Canadian.

thank u Mr. Bush

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Whats next?

The ultimate spin class challenge. In which we will be treated to video of people riding stationary bikes.

C'mon, this will be like watching paint dry unless they present it in a fasion similar to the old Discovery Channel Eco Challenge.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Damn True said:
Whats next?

The ultimate spin class challenge. In which we will be treated to video of people riding stationary bikes.

C'mon, this will be like watching paint dry unless they present it in a fasion similar to the old Discovery Channel Eco Challenge.
Get a talented editer and filmer and a well rounded rider and I bet you can make it interesting enough. Actually I could see a very cool movie coming out, similar in style to the collective, on the type of riding that some of us do.

The Ito

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This is a pretty cool thing for them to do. It might be pretty boring to watch but not boring to make and I'm down for whatever gets people out on their bikes, especially if they're mixing in some media creativity. All the haters here are just short-sighted and too cool for me. Maybe one day you'll try to actually pedal up a hill, then when your heart is in your throat and you've only gone about 1/4 mile you'll show some respect. Oh and you might need those xc clowns on your side when it comes to preserving trail access, etc. Yeesh, we're all in this together, spare us your disdain...

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Dude, relax, and don't tell me to "show some respect".
I rode XC and road long before I bought my first DH bike. I know exactly how hard it is. I also know that it would be as exciting as watching paint dry to watch people riding XC.

Sep 29, 2004
merrrrjig said:
lol i wanna see the videos, crazy ppl in spandex charging up hills. I dont think it will be as interesting as the UFC. Maybe sanjay should enter jumping XC bikes and racing DH on XC bikes and doing big hucks on XC bikes, maybe he will win!
or... not...