Quantcast

Is it that much fun??

L

luelling

I have a friend that races pro XC and placed 9th at Mammoth this year in the SS category. I asked him if it was fun or not and his remark (as usual with a pro) was it was a small tool in a training arsenal. I didn't get much of an answer out of him so I'm asking here. I've heard some people (as with 29s) switch and like it way more than a geared bike, is this true? I've ridden single speeds for BMX and other events, but never for XC. I've been contemplating building one up and racing it.

funkysausage

Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
Oak Lawn, Illinois
YES! It is that fun, but its an aquired taste. I have a geared bike, and a single speed. Since getting the ss, I haven't even touched the geared, so I ended up giving it to my brother. It is a whole lot of fun to ride, and it takes the guess work out of what gear you should be in. With a ss you're always in the right gear. Give it a try, and good luck.

mistermoto

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
arizona
much fun. My buds around here had been ridin SS for a few years and I finally caved and built a ghetto SS. Then built a dedicated SS. Over a year later it's my favorite ride on all my favorite trails. I still have my squishy geared bike too, though it doesn't see as much use anymore. The circle became complete when one of the guys who also swore he'd never ride SS built his first one after my pesterings, now he loves it too. His bullitt sits by for the occasion DH , big drop ride.
I guess you only drink the kool-aid once huh?:cool:

ArmOnFire

Chimp
May 10, 2004
Exeter, NH
don't do it, you'll never go back to geared bikes!

SS is too simple for some people, just get on a pedal the frickin' thing, no worries about what gear you are in.

-dan

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
yaa, Im hooked too. With out gears to worry about you worry more about flow and being smooth. It's made me a better rider, and allot faster too.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
What gets me is the simplicity. One gear, less noise, less weight, less maintenance, less chances that you'll have problems on the trail, less focus on the bike, more on the ride.

You learn to use your momentum, to man-handle the bike, and to trust your fitness.

I love it.

rzakt

Chimp
Jun 23, 2005
Co
ss are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have mono cog as my primary xc rig and like everyone else says you just hop on and go. I realized I never knew how to ride a bike till I got it. I am so much smoother on my DH bike now because of it.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
try it, but do it on the cheap, just in case you flat out dont like it, or dont have the knees for it (not sure why the latter would be the case- I've got tendenitis in both knees and since being a SSer, my knees have only gotten better)

1. borrowing a friend's SS- cheap, possibly free- might cost you some brews in repayment...

2. redoing one of your existing hardtails- cheap, or pricey- you could either:

a. find the "Magic gear" where a tensioner isnt needed at all (free, maybe a beefier chain and/or half link, and possibly an unramped chainring ($20-30), but not from headaches- LOTS of trial and error),

b. try a tensioner ($50, but not the best),

c. something like an ENO rear wheel ($250-300+),

d. or totally freak out and have a frame redone with an EBB or horizontal dropouts ($200-500 or a.k.a. you know you've totally become a freak when....)

mikepedal

Chimp
Sep 12, 2005
Sydney
As a fully committed XC rider, I started a SS project to experience building a bike from scratch. The result was a steel, fully rigid, bike (Surly) costing very little (ebay).

It did not take long to learn which rides were best suited for SS, and then even less time for the number of those rides to climb. The ‘ol geared XC is not completely neglected, but both bikes make all my biking excursions.

Why is it so much fun? For all the reasons everyone else talks about here: simplicity, weight, cost, freedom. Enjoy

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It is much purer. It's just nice not thinking about gears, which when you don't have them for the first time you realise you do alot. Also you can go fakie waaaayyyy easier.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
it is a blast, and more effecient. I have decided that most people using gears change gears to often and even though they think it's saving them strength its ineffeciencies cost them. I have been doing a lot of road riding this spring (geared 12 speed with downtube shifters) and I try and notice when people in front of me in a paceline shift. most people shift twice as much as they need to....

my 2cents