Quantcast

Is everyone happy with their Diabolus cranks?

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
I'm thinking about getting a pair of Diabolus cranks for my DH rig. I've been running North Shores for the last four years. My only complaint with them, and all the isis cranks I've used on various bikes is that they make creaking and snapping noises. I take them apart occasionally and grease the spindles and the bottom bracket threads. This fixes the problem for about 5 rides, then the creaking is back. Are the Diabolus going to be noisy as well? I plan to hand down the North Shores to my Chameleon, as I'm running xc cranks on that bike at the moment. Thanks for the advice.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
kail said:
I'm thinking about getting a pair of Diabolus cranks for my DH rig. I've been running North Shores for the last four years. My only complaint with them, and all the isis cranks I've used on various bikes is that they make creaking and snapping noises. I take them apart occasionally and grease the spindles and the bottom bracket threads. This fixes the problem for about 5 rides, then the creaking is back. Are the Diabolus going to be noisy as well? I plan to hand down the North Shores to my Chameleon, as I'm running xc cranks on that bike at the moment. Thanks for the advice.
Love 'em. I've had crank issues in the past due to my size and defiance to smooth riding. I've bent or broken every crank I've had. Still have issues with how Shimano presses their spider. It will come loose every time(Third warranty on my XT's). Don't even think about Saint. They are pressed to and I've seen alot of them go back.

For the Diabolous-no problems, no creaking. These are the most solid cranks I've ever had.

Btw, I got them in '03. They had a first run problem because they anodized the inside of the crank where it attaches to the spindle. This would wear immediately and they would wiggle. I sent them back for the new run--voila no problems since late '03.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The Diablous treated me really well last year. No problems w/ a full season of hard use on a bike w/ a low BB and a rider who's not exactly smooth.

-ska todd

Dufault01

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
I ran a set all this year and no problems where Ive always bent cranks before. One thing that I was impressed with is that every year I usually go through 2 bb because of them wearing out. This year i will be reusing my diablos cranks with the original bottom bracket.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
If it means anything about liking them, I really miss the ones that I had on my old DH bike. They're quality, solid, and quiet. Then there's the sweet bling factor that you have to add due to the gold bearings sticking out of the BB shell.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I had northshores before but then upgraded to Diabolus. Its a great beefy system, I don't think you can go wrong with it unless you are looking to lighten up your race bike. Though I do know some guys that run it on their race bike...

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
bent my non-driveside crankarm after about 3 months, was warrantied no questions asked and the new pair have been running fine since.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well i dont have Diabolus. But i do have prodigy's. My opinion is that if teh prodigy's are that good.....Diabolus can only be that much better. they are my next set that i am going to get

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
the only problem you might run into is the bearings might go after a while but they are sick

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
First set I had, the ano wore off to an ugly purple and the bb bearings went tits up in a hurry (the preload was correct), they replaced them under warranty, and I got a replacement set in about a week. The ano on the new ones is lots better and the bb has held up almost a year longer with no complaints. Kudos to Race Face for warranty...
4 stars.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I've been looking at them too, I done bent my North Shores. After hanging on the wall for a few months after my crash, Upon inspection my bike got pretty beat up! Broken MRP (Being replaced with an E.13) Bent North Shore cranks, and i'm pretty sure my BB is messed up. I guess I'll just replace it all before this season, but thats an expensive proposition!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Do the Diablos cranks only work with the Race Face X-Type BB?

Race face needs to make the text on their website bigger, and have it contrast with the background!

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
they are stiff..strong and silent..ive got a brand new set i need to get rid of as well. 83 mm shell version..perfect for yeti/ironhorse/any other 150 rear end bike. SPAMMED..haha

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
BigMike said:
Do the Diablos cranks only work with the Race Face X-Type BB?

Race face needs to make the text on their website bigger, and have it contrast with the background!
The RF bearings are the same size inner diameter as the Shimano bearings. You can run the RF bearings with the Shimano cranks, and the RF cranks with the Shimano bearings.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
I cracked the spider on mine. I have no idea how it happened. I don't remember hitting anything too hard and there were no marks on my MRP. Those tabs on the spider look a little weak when compared to the rest of the crank. In support of the company they warrenteed them with no problem. Overall great product.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I've owned two sets and haven't had any real problems with either. They're stupid stiff, and lighter than any Profile/BMX cro-mo set up. Just make sure you take off the cranks every couple weeks and clean the bearings and races if you ride in mucky conditions. I work in a shop, and more often than not, kids who come in thinking their bearings are blown just need to clean them off and re-grease them. Awesome product tho.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Radarr said:
The RF bearings are the same size inner diameter as the Shimano bearings. You can run the RF bearings with the Shimano cranks, and the RF cranks with the Shimano bearings.
Are you serious? I mean it makes total sense but i never really thought to do it. I have been wanting to run some race face bearings with my xt cranks...Has anyone else tried and verified that this setup works? (not that i dont trust you radarr):love:

J

JRB

Radarr said:
I am running a Diablous BB on FSA V Drive mega exo. I also have an FSA BB that I will likely put on the road bike with Truvativ exo Roleurs. I will let you know how that goes.

J

JRB

manhattanprjkt83 said:
Are you serious? I mean it makes total sense but i never really thought to do it. I have been wanting to run some race face bearings with my xt cranks...Has anyone else tried and verified that this setup works? (not that i dont trust you radarr):love:
There is a thread by me in the lounge about it. I just bumped it yesterday with what I did. I think they are all the same, however, the mfg won't tell you that.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
loco said:
There is a thread by me in the lounge about it. I just bumped it yesterday with what I did. I think they are all the same, however, the mfg won't tell you that.
Yeah i would expect that they wouldnt let you in on that bit of info...Any word as to the longevity of the race face bearing? I have been running my xt's for almost 2 seasons of east coast slop and they are just now giving me the feeling. Totally loved the bearings, i just really like the idea of that blue or gold bling on the soveirgn :love:... Anyone?

J

JRB

manhattanprjkt83 said:
Yeah i would expect that they wouldnt let you in on that bit of info...Any word as to the longevity of the race face bearing? I have been running my xt's for almost 2 seasons of east coast slop and they are just now giving me the feeling. Totally loved the bearings, i just really like the idea of that blue or gold bling on the soveirgn :love:... Anyone?
I haven't run mine long, but I have heard that the DuraAce bearings are the best, for some reason.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Bearings were shot after two 3 day weekends in Whistler this spring. Other wise unbeleivably stiff and strong (bent a pedal spindle big time and they took it like a champ)

Trying out a XT External BB to see if they last longer.

Guessing that Shimano and Raceface source their external BB bearings from the same place so it won't make a difference though.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Tootrikky said:
Bearings were shot after two 3 day weekends in Whistler this spring. Other wise unbeleivably stiff and strong (bent a pedal spindle big time and they took it like a champ)

Trying out a XT External BB to see if they last longer.

Guessing that Shimano and Raceface source their external BB bearings from the same place so it won't make a difference though.

Are you sure it was installed correctly? I have been doing some research on them, and somone said if you didn't face the BB threads and it went in a little bit crooked, the bearings would wear really quickly.

Let us know how it goes with the Shimano!

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
BigMike said:
Are you sure it was installed correctly? I have been doing some research on them, and somone said if you didn't face the BB threads and it went in a little bit crooked, the bearings would wear really quickly.

Let us know how it goes with the Shimano!

yes the BB was faced....but now that I think about it one of the cups did back out initially. Who knows how long I rode on with the cup loose....that could have caused it the bearing failure too, but I still think the mud and subsequent hosing off every day at Whistler did em in more than anything.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I'm a fan of the saint crank myself, I owned 2 sets of diabolus...

the saint preload system works much easier/better in my opinion.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have had the same diabolus bb bearings on my dh bike for almost two full seasons and lots of whistler trips w/o any problems (ymmv). I think the key is to get the bearing preload set up correctly. It took me about three tries to get it right. I would highly suggest during initial instal that you remove your chain and any other guide or whatnot that might impart friction to the crank system. This way you can tell exactly what kind of preload you have on the bearings by spinning the cranks...they should spin freely.

Nick- if you had a cup back out of the frame, then the bearings would have been over loaded by the amount that the cup moved. Just 1 mm (less than 1 turn) would be more than enough to crush the bearings.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
davep said:
I have had the same diabolus bb bearings on my dh bike for almost two full seasons and lots of whistler trips w/o any problems (ymmv). I think the key is to get the bearing preload set up correctly. It took me about three tries to get it right. I would highly suggest during initial instal that you remove your chain and any other guide or whatnot that might impart friction to the crank system. This way you can tell exactly what kind of preload you have on the bearings by spinning the cranks...they should spin freely.

Nick- if you had a cup back out of the frame, then the bearings would have been over loaded by the amount that the cup moved. Just 1 mm (less than 1 turn) would be more than enough to crush the bearings.

Good advice....I'll recheck my setup with that in mind