Quantcast

Ironhorse SGS ???

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
I am looking at the Ironhorse SGS frame set for my new Dh bike. I sent an email over to ironhorse but i figure i might as well see if any monkeys can help.

Does anyone know the actual frame weight with shock? (i will order the small 17") It doesn't list on their website anywhere ( or at least i cant find it) I tried a search but no luck.

Also what is the difference between the DH frameset VS the freeride frameset besides the drop outs? I will be using the bike exclusivly for DH racing but i want regular dropouts so i can use my existing rear wheels. Is it the same mainframe with a different rear end? Am i losing anything other than rear-end stiffness by choosing the Freeride over the DH.

Anything i should watch out for?

Thanks

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Booker said:
Am i losing anything other than rear-end stiffness by choosing the Freeride over the DH.
Stiffness and Strength go hand in hand. A standard QR simply isn't as strong as a TA.

7" vs 8" of travel for Freeride and DH, respectively.

Personally, I wouln't get a standard QR for a DH/FR bike because of the abuse I give it.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
With my 04 SGS Team I've got a 165mm rear hub thru axle which is much better than any QR system. The entire rear end is stiffer with a thru axle, plus the 165mm rear hub gives you a perfect chainline, and a dishless wheel that's stronger.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Taz's SGS DH weighed in at about 11.25lbs w/5th e on it.

The FR model has smaller chainstays as well, which will of course flex more. BUT, you're not a huge guy so it probably won't be as much of an issue.

Stiffness aside, one compromise is to run a regular QR hub and run a solid BMX axle with it for general strength purposes if you're worried about snapping an axle. I did that for two years on my Big Hits (and I weigh 200+) with no problems at all.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
JeffD said:
Stiffness aside, one compromise is to run a regular QR hub and run a solid BMX axle with it for general strength purposes if you're worried about snapping an axle. I did that for two years on my Big Hits (and I weigh 200+) with no problems at all.
I did that also to an XT and it made a HUGE difference. The hub is laced to a 321 and is on an M-1. I weigh ~225. W/ the qr, whenever I stuffes the bike into a corner, the tire would buzz the frame. Also, the freehub bilt was constantly loosening. No issues of any sort since I put the solid axle in. In 2 seasons, I have only had to adjust the hub twice.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
JeffD said:
Yep. :thumb: Thats how all my wheelsets are setup. I don't trust regular Q/R to hold my wheel so i just run a solid axle. Super easy conversion, i will definatly run one on the SGS.

Thanks for the help guys. 11'ish pounds isn't that bad. Now i just need to find someplace with the framesets for sale. I would like to have one in my hands by this thursday :dead: But if not i will just race Snowshoe on the Evil.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Cool. Just got off the phone with Ironhorse. My frame should be here tomarrow morning. :D Thats some quality service. One phone call and i got to talk to a person instead of a machine. He went in the back, checked stock, and I ordered the freeride version. Thanks for everyones advice.

Tim you best watch out. Im gunnin' for you sucka. :eviltongu :D

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Howzabout a detailed review after this weekend? I like the DH models but for the SE, I'd rather have a 7" version I can run double rings on and the only hangup I have with the FR is possible rear end flex/flimsyness.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Booker said:
Tim you best watch out. Im gunnin' for you sucka. :eviltongu :D

You know your going to choke on Ensure Fortified dust :eviltongu
I'm sure gettin beat by an old man like me would be like a :nuts: for a youngin' like you.I can hear you now :mumble:

You decide what time we leavin yet?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
JeffD said:
Taz's SGS DH weighed in at about 11.25lbs w/5th e on it.

The FR model has smaller chainstays as well, which will of course flex more. BUT, you're not a huge guy so it probably won't be as much of an issue.

haha...no way. Try 13-14lbs. The rear axle is a huge source of weight, main frame aint light, steel hardware in the shock mounts/pivots, 1.5, etc....

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have a small 2003 Ironhorse SGS DH Pro w/5th element & a Boxxer on the front. I haven't really weighed it "officially" but it's well over 40 lbs. Sweet ride tough :thumb: I have only ridden it at Snowshoe (Memorial Day Weekend) and Plattekill (last weekend) but I like it so far. I think I am going to build up a 24" rear wheel to help with the sizing (17" frame is a little big for me).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
TreeSaw said:
I have a small 2003 Ironhorse SGS DH Pro w/5th element & a Boxxer on the front. I haven't really weighed it "officially" but it's well over 40 lbs. Sweet ride tough :thumb: I have only ridden it at Snowshoe (Memorial Day Weekend) and Plattekill (last weekend) but I like it so far. I think I am going to build up a 24" rear wheel to help with the sizing (17" frame is a little big for me).
the medium size is 47lbs

mine's about 49lbs

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Jm_ said:
haha...no way. Try 13-14lbs. The rear axle is a huge source of weight, main frame aint light, steel hardware in the shock mounts/pivots, 1.5, etc....
Haha, yes way. You're welcome to ask Brady himself or get in your little ass airplane and fly over here and watch us weigh it. :evil:

Banshees don't even weight 14 lbs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
JeffD said:
Haha, yes way. You're welcome to ask Brady himself or get in your little ass airplane and fly over here and watch us weigh it. :evil:

Banshees don't even weight 14 lbs.

well that makes sense, if banshees do not weigh 14-14.5lbs on your scale, then your scale is simply off.

There's no way in hell that an SGS DH frame does NOT weigh more than 13lbs.

Not the lightest ever but pretty-standard laserdisc wheels, light hayes hfx9s, holzfellers are lighter than the hussefelts, seat isn't a huge tioga or azonic model-it's pretty reasonable, stem is very light (due to it being an xc model), the 1.5 headset is a big heavy.

When we are talking about "downhill" parts, only the wheels are more comprable to d321s rather than lighter 521s and the headset is a little heavy. There are no obscene sources of weight here, it simply has to be in the frame. That doesn't mean you can drop some weight (like if you dropped a 45lb bike to 41lbs) but with the bike weighing 47lbs with the boxxer race, it's simply a hog and the weight is in the frame.

Have you pulled apart the shock hardware and rear axle? That stuff is steel, heavy as hell. Not every bike has that kind of stuff on it, not that it's "bad" or "good", but it is heavy.

It is a little heavier compared to some other DH bikes. Sorry.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Now that you mention it, he did replace all the hardware (bought it off Hcor Jon and the bearings were thrashed so he replaced all the hardware) so who knows if he got lighter bits for it. AND, he didn't weigh it with the rear axle but who does - that's not part of the "frame" that's ever measured and quoted in weights.

He's got the high dollar zoot build and it's 41.5lbs legit, but that's about as low as it can go save for going to a ti spring. Or a Boxxer.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
JeffD said:
Howzabout a detailed review after this weekend? I like the DH models but for the SE, I'd rather have a 7" version I can run double rings on and the only hangup I have with the FR is possible rear end flex/flimsyness.
I will be sure to give a full report. But keep in mind i am 5'5" tall and weigh around 140lbs. So a stiff frame for me may be a noodle for someone else.

As for the frame weight. Well my last DH/freeride bike was a small Banshee Scream. Its frame was around 13.5 pounds. The scale could have been off but i doubt it. As long as the SGS is lighter im happy. I will try and get a frame weight for the SGS.

The build on the bike will be lightish parts coming off my Evil. (being so light i can get away with lighter parts :D )

2003 SGS Freeride w/ 2004 rear end
Fox shock. (gonna probably get Pushed)
Manitou Slider
Rhyno Lights
2.5 Maxxis Minions
Hayes HFX 9
2003 LX Cranks
Evil SRS
Shimano 105 RD
E13 Zero Stack headset/reducer cups

I am shooting for around 40lbs.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Just a little preview befor i head off to Snowshoe.

Ironhorse really has excellent service. I got a call yesterday morning at around 8:30 from Alex @ Ironhorse letting me know that everything shipped the night befor via ups nextday air and he gave me a tracking number. A few hours later and my frame arrives.

In the box was my frame and some other parts i wasn't expecting. I got extra derrailer hangers an azonic seatpost and an entire fsa 1.5-1 1/8 headset. The best supprise of all was that instead of the Fox vanilla R i thought came with the frame i received a Manitiou Swinger 3-way. :thumb:

Anyway befor we built up the frame i weighed it on the same scale we weighed my old Banshee frame on. The frame (small SGS expert) with shock (manitou swinger 3-way) and hardware was dead on 10lbs. Total bike weight (on two different scales) was 38 lbs. Thats with a lightish build and regular xc tubes. More to come after i get some seat time..........

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jm_ said:
There's no way in hell that an SGS DH frame does NOT weigh more than 13lbs.
I've never had my hands on one, but you are the only person I've ever heard talk about the frame as heavy. Not saying you are wrong, but have you ever had someone confirm the weight you got? Everyone else I've ever seen post a weight has been a bit over 11lbs - have I missed ones that confirm your 13+lb weight?