Quantcast

Iron Horse mkiii slalom bike

max4

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Im thinking about buying a used iron horse mkii frame to build a slalom bike with. What size shock do you run to slacken it out and lower the bottom bracket? Any other things to do to make it more "worthy"?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
As I recall they run a 7.5x2 shock stock. Makes things a little tricky because the next shortest common size is 6.5 eye to eye which is way too big a change. Specialized did some 7.25x1.75 shocks for some bikes, you could try to ebay one of those, or get a suspension tuner to make one for you. Since it's the same length bottomed out as the common 7.5x2 it's pretty much just a matter of spacing out the topout mechanism (somewhat dependent on what shock you're talking about).

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I have a MKIII with the standard Fox Float shock, but pushed. Running 30-33% of SAG makes the BB too low for me (at least with 175mm cranks and a 120mm Recon). I keep hitting roots and rocks with the pedals. However, if you want to slacken the bike (and you are willing to spend the cash), you should wait for the 1-1/8" Cane Creek's Angleset. According to this thread on Dirt It should be released before EOM. It's not going to be cheap, but it's worth of a try IMHO.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
MAX,

If you are referring to the one I have up for sale, keep in mind that I have already included an integrated to Standard (external) conversion sleeve AND an extended lower headset cup so it is already at least a degree slacker than the standard MK3s.

I mention this bc if you did run a shock with more sag your BB might not be "too low" as it was for Slimshady. This would also work well with the Giant 7.25x1.75 shocks (slackens it out even more and keeps the BB from being TOO low.)

It is kinda like this:
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id183.html

Except it does not have its own cups. You can run ANY external (standard) lower cups you want. So that in and of itself will slacken you a bit, but then I also used the Cane Creek "extended" lower cup to slacken it even more.

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
We ran them with 7.25X1.75" shocks with a lot of success from the 2005 to 2007 seasons. You may remember the Honda Iron Horse team running them quite a bit.

Dave