Quantcast

info on San Louis Obispo!?

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hey there monkeys! I have a friend who might be going to SLO on exchange to the Architecture faculty (at cal poly I assume). She rides DH and I know it'll be better than Denmark, but she wants to know what else there is to do in the area and just some general info on school and such. Any info on proximity to bigger cities and such would also be greatly appreciated!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
SLO or San Louis is ehhh give or take an 1 1/2 hours or so from Santa Barbara traveling south. I know there's some DH in SLO but I'm going to take a stab and say Santa Barbara has more DH trails. There's lots of XC stuff too in the area. Everything DH wise is pretty much a shuttle up the road. Los Angeles is 2+ hours south and it goes from there. Many trails all around though. Mexican boarder is probably a good 5+ hour drive. That's about all south there is. San Fran and such is north 4-5hrs depending on how fast you drive.

SLO is close to Pismo beach (where you can take your trucks/cars/dune buggys/quads/dirtbikes) in the sand and cruise around the dunes.

LOL I'm not much help. I grew up in Santa Barbara and we went as far as SLO for the dunes/pismo and traveling through. There's lots to do though. I believe Cal Poly has some pretty good parties as well. She'll like it.

Hope that helps some!

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
actually, slo has two trails that are way gnarlier and way more fun than anything in santa barbara. only one of them is shuttleable. santa barbara has way more shuttleable trails, but it's a chore shuttling them. san luis has some of the best xc and dh stuff in california. the only thing we lack are big dirt jumps. the people in san luis are waaaaaaaaaaay more friendly to bike riding than in santa barbara. it's rare than a hiker ever confronts you or has anything negative to say. they're usually stoked to see someone pinning it. even the old ladies. the best thing is that the two gnarly dh trails see absolutely zero foot traffic. you can go as fast as you want.

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanx for the info guys! She decided she's going, so you might run into her sometime in the fall! One more thing, do any of you have a link to some video of the local trails?
Cheers, Hans.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hans said:
One more thing, do any of you have a link to some video of the local trails?
Cheers, Hans.
Depends. You have a picture of her? ;)

She'll be in a great place for riding...local stuff is supposed to be awesome, and she's in the center of a state that has good riding (and other outdoor stuff) in every direction. The central coast of California is beautiful. Los Angeles and San Fransisco aren't terribly far away, for big-city fun and more riding. There are huge deserts to visit for rock climbing and hiking year-round. Not far from big mountains like Mammoth and the Lake Tahoe resorts for winter sports and summer lift-assisted DH. Unfortunately, Big Bear has closed to bikes for next summer, though. Orange County and San Diego might be worth visits at some point, too.

Hell, Las Vegas isn't out of reach, either...just a 6-8 hour road trip...and there's a great DH riding spot there, too. Plus, it's only 2 more hours on to Utah, where the Red Bull Rampage was held, from that point.

MD

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dayum.

I have to get up there and drag my brakes down the trails scared ****less, er, I mean, ride...

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
yeah, thats the rock jump. my buddy rebuilt the lip a while back and i built up the huge landing. we also rebuilt all the jumps above the road and added two new ones in there to make it even tighter. we also built up the step down on the bottom part and took all the loose rocks that had been pushed to the side of the trail and threw them back in the middle. that trail is bitchin' right now when it's dry

beaverbiker said:
yeah, thats the rock jump. my buddy rebuilt the lip a while back and i built up the huge landing. we also rebuilt all the jumps above the road and added two new ones in there to make it even tighter. we also built up the step down on the bottom part and took all the loose rocks that had been pushed to the side of the trail and threw them back in the middle. that trail is bitchin' right now when it's dry

Yea i just saw all the work you did on the top 1/2 of the trail this weekend. I had never ridden it before so i walked through most to not **** up the lips. GOod work man. After we rode that, we rode morning glory. Even though its not technical on DH bikes its super fast adn fun. Of course there is face trailtoo, but i dont have the skills to ride that beast yet.

ZHilty

Chimp
Jul 1, 2016
actually, slo has two trails that are way gnarlier and way more fun than anything in santa barbara. only one of them is shuttleable. santa barbara has way more shuttleable trails, but it's a chore shuttling them. san luis has some of the best xc and dh stuff in california. the only thing we lack are big dirt jumps. the people in san luis are waaaaaaaaaaay more friendly to bike riding than in santa barbara. it's rare than a hiker ever confronts you or has anything negative to say. they're usually stoked to see someone pinning it. even the old ladies. the best thing is that the two gnarly dh trails see absolutely zero foot traffic. you can go as fast as you want.
Do you know anything about the dirt jumps near the bottom of Tower Trail? I have only seen footage from many years ago and would love to know if they are still actively used.