Quantcast

I'm in need of a bike work stand

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have a hundred bucks from amazon and I little extra cash. What do you recommend?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Whatever you do, don't get this one: Park PCS-4.

I have it. It balances for ****, the bolts fell out more then once, and I have bikes constantly hitting the wall...

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I just got an ultimate. I'll pull it out of the box and see how it does tomorrow....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I just hold the bike up in one hand and wrench with the other.

No, no I don't.

I have an old Park similar to the one above. It does tend to fold up while working on heavy bikes, but it could probably be remedied.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have the PCS-4...only problem so far is the clamp doesnt stay where you move it to. (I have been calling Park to get a remedy, but so far nothing...) Makes working on a front end less than fun. But all in all not a bad stand for the $$ for me so far...

Dirt, how high is yours set up? Being only 5'8", mine is set kind of low...maybe setting it up too high makes for problems?

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a Wrench Force and LOVE it. The clamp is easy to adjust, rotates 360* and stays put no matter how heavy your bike, the stand is stable and height adjustable, and overall its very well built.

edit: added picture

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have the Park PRS-15. It's Park's best work stand short of the shop stand (the ones with the plate metal base). I love it, stable, strong, hasn't met a bike it couldn't hold. Definitely not the cheapest option, but quality is top notch. FWIW I used to be a mechanic so I'm more used to the shop stand.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Whatever you do, don't get this one: Park PCS-4.

I have it. It balances for ****, the bolts fell out more then once, and I have bikes constantly hitting the wall...
Interesting, I have never had a problem with mine, do you move your stand ever?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have this one for my home work, it sucks compared to the nice shop ones I am used to but it gets the job done and does not tip over like that POS posted up top.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ultimate Pro Elitex121516

Light, strong, fairly affordable, great clamp. Much better than the crappy Park consumer stands I've used.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Interesting, I have never had a problem with mine, do you move your stand ever?
I move it all the time. Its been to every race with me, moved from house to house with me, its seen a lot of miles.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great first stand. However, I am now on this kick of getting things right the first time, so if I can keep someone from making the same mistake, why not help where I can?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I move it all the time. Its been to every race with me, moved from house to house with me, its seen a lot of miles.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great first stand. However, I am now on this kick of getting things right the first time, so if I can keep someone from making the same mistake, why not help where I can?
Just interesting cause I have that stand and have never moved it, but I have also never had any problems.

I also never have more then a 28 pound bike hanging on it.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle

Yelo

Monkey
Aug 3, 2008
Quebec city, Quebec, Canada

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ultimate Pro Elite FTW! I'd Been Eyeing Them For Awhile And Rolled Into The LBS And They Had One Set Up With A Bike On It, And Luckily The Wrench Was Very Baked And Thought It Was A $100 Stand.

"Um, I Can Go $70 For Ya."

"Wrap It Up!"

Tipped Him A $20 And I Was Off...

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
More and more I want one portable one for races and one floor mounted one for here at the bike pit.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
It does. We had a pair of broken ones in the corner at the shop I worked at.
What part broke on them? Also, it's not a shop stand, it's a consumer stand so I'm hoping it will hold up better for me, then a shop..:clue:

tunnelvision

Monkey
Oct 25, 2007
The owner of my LBS uses this stand as his personal stand at the shop. it sees bikes all day long and has been for well over a year now...Should work out fine for ya.

*edit after looking at it he actually uses this stand: http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-PCS-9-Mechanic-Stand/dp/B000OZFJTI/ref=acc_glance_sg_ai_-2_2_tit

Last edited: