Quantcast

I'l try this here too

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Cross post from DH forum:

Dreaming up a new build and I am stuck on what fork to choose. Really my question is not "what fork" but "what kind of fork?" I have always ridden SC, but perhaps a DC is in order?

ME: ~200lbs in all my gear. I ride mostly Shore stuff (Seymour, Fromme, Cypress) Woodlot, Vedder, Galbraith, and Whistler. If you were to classify my riding I suppose it would be more FR than DH. I don't race, but will likely try it. My riding style has earned me the moniker "meat huck" from the guys I ride with. I like drops and can handle a few decent sized ones. For this build, I am trying to place durability and reliability above weight and cost. I do not want to have to tear down my bike after every ride.

I know enough to know some of the pros and cons of each type (turning radius, travel, weight), and I have heard arguments from some saying a DC is overkill and others that swear by them. The frame will have 8" of travel with a 1.5" head tube, and for the sake of argument, lets say that I am going to go with either a Totem Solo Air or a Boxxer Team. I'm on a Lyrik Solo Air now and I really like it, but I am pushing its capabilities. It seems like a bunch of the issues both RS offerings were having have been more or less sorted. I am open to other suggestions so long as the cost is kept within reason (so the Boxxer WC is out, as is the 40 and even the aluminum Dorado, even though it looks really interesting). For reference, I have seen both the 2010 Boxxer Team and the Totem Solo Air for ~ $1000 US (brand new) without looking too hard.

For those of you that have made this decision, which way did you go? Any regrets?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ill sell u a 66RC3 for 475, its close to new. personally if u freeride go SC race go DH. (at least thats what i do)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, what's your budget? Dual crown forks have gotten more expensive over the last few years, but so have single crown forks.

The biggest differences I notice between single crown and dual crown forks (I have both - marz 66 and a fox 40rc) is that dual crown forks tend to be stiffer and have better small bump compliance (due to having a longer damping unit). But as technology has progressed, the gap between these characteristics in sc vs dc has shrunk. Even the difference in weight has decreased. Yes, single crown forks will still be lighter, but dual crown forks have gotten respectably light as well.

That being said, you mentioned you are pushing the capabilities of your current fork. Exactly what about it are you having issues with or don't like about it? Is it not stiff enough? Is the compression not good enough? Do you find yourself bottoming out harshly? Try to figure exactly what traits about your current fork you're not thrilled with, and look for a fork that will address them.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Well, what's your budget? Dual crown forks have gotten more expensive over the last few years, but so have single crown forks.

The biggest differences I notice between single crown and dual crown forks (I have both - marz 66 and a fox 40rc) is that dual crown forks tend to be stiffer and have better small bump compliance (due to having a longer damping unit). But as technology has progressed, the gap between these characteristics in sc vs dc has shrunk. Even the difference in weight has decreased. Yes, single crown forks will still be lighter, but dual crown forks have gotten respectably light as well.

That being said, you mentioned you are pushing the capabilities of your current fork. Exactly what about it are you having issues with or don't like about it? Is it not stiff enough? Is the compression not good enough? Do you find yourself bottoming out harshly? Try to figure exactly what traits about your current fork you're not thrilled with, and look for a fork that will address them.
These are all good points. I am finding that although I love the feel of the Lyrik, I am bottoming it out more often than I'd like, even when it is set up properly. As I am progressing towards bigger hits, (drops of 8'+(think Piledriver, Clown Shoes, last drop on Platinum, stuff like that), steep & chundery stuff at speed as you find in Squamish, Cypress or Garbanzo) I am thinking that more room for error might be a good thing. Looking new, my budget is ~$1K US. Your points about how close the two have become are well taken, and to emphasize that I am primarily looking at the Boxxer and the Totem. Given that both offer more travel and stiffness than I get out of the Lyrik, and given the fact that they are the same price (more or less), I am just wondering if the Totem will offer me enough of what I am looking for.

I did a run down some of the lower Whistler trails recently on a 2009 Boxxer and I noticed right away how much more stable at speed it felt, and how much more room for mistakes it gave me. (I nosed in on an overshot landing and the fork took it all for me. On my Lyrik I would have bailed hard.) I am a much bigger fan of the Mission Control damper than the Motion Control one (I run a Pike on my HT), so I presume the 2010 Boxxer will feel that much better, but then again, so would the Totem. :confused:

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Have you considered the RS Domain 318 7" travel fork? I went from a boxxer team on another bike to the Domain 318 on my current rig and I don't really miss the Team. Not that the team was bad but this Domain is that good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I did a run down some of the lower Whistler trails recently on a 2009 Boxxer and I noticed right away how much more stable at speed it felt, and how much more room for mistakes it gave me. (I nosed in on an overshot landing and the fork took it all for me. On my Lyrik I would have bailed hard.)
Having more confidence in your equipment is, IMHO, much more important than any single performance trait.

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
I know what you mean. I used to ride with an old junior T on my joker. I had gotten used to how it felt on the bike, and had just put up with some of its shortcomings. After trying a fox 36 on the same bike, the difference was night and day. The junior T was probably ready to be retired, but the fox was definitely on a completely different level.