Quantcast

If you had to choose some TLD Knee pads....which would you

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
If you had to choose some TLD Kneed pads, which would you choose and why?

I previously had the 661 EVO knee pads, back in like 2010/2011. I liked them, they worked, but they didn't provide as much protection as I would have liked for DH racing/riding and such.

I found a good deal on the 661 Rage Knee pads that my wife already had, and I liked them, they provide more protection than the EVO's did.

I don't want full on shin guards, but I like the TLD that extend a bit further down the leg and provide some shin protection.

I also don't particularly like the bulkiness of the full on exterior plastic shell.

I don't want to give up any protection over my current 661 Rage's, I feel they have a good blend of protection vs bulkiness.

Need to be TLD brand.

Suggestions? I've not had a chance to try any of them on.

Thinking the Semunuk https://www.troyleedesigns.com/omniweaver/files/stream/14TLD_SEMENUK_KNEEGUARDS_BLK.png

or the standard knee/shin guard https://www.troyleedesigns.com/omniweaver/files/stream/12TLD_KNEE_GUARDS_5450.png

Anyone have any experience with either?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
The second set of pads you listed are super comfy, but a bit too minimal, IMO, for DH. My main complaint is the lack of padding along the sides of the knee.

The Semenuk pads I believe are the same pads as the new T-bones(?) If that's the case, then I'd go for those over the other pads. Long story short, there's more padding but they are still pretty unobtrusive and comfy.

Have you ever tried the old T-bones? The new ones are lighter and they improved certain issues (leaving a ventilation hole in the knee-pit webbing) but the pads definitely lost some beef and have a more all-mountainy feel in general. However, if you like the old pads, chances are you'll like the new ones.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I've never had a chance to try any of the TLD knee pads. I like the TLD shirt and shorts I have for protection, I'm a minimalist per say when it comes to armor, the 661 rage has a real nice hard plastic feeling cup inside the pad for the knee cap, does the T-bone have this?

If so that may do the trick, though the semunuk looks more comparable to what I have.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I've never had a chance to try any of the TLD knee pads. I like the TLD shirt and shorts I have for protection, I'm a minimalist per say when it comes to armor, the 661 rage has a real nice hard plastic feeling cup inside the pad for the knee cap, does the T-bone have this?

If so that may do the trick, though the semunuk looks more comparable to what I have.
Old T-bone had a hard plastic insert over the knee, the new one does not. This does not necessarily mean the new one is worse though. It could very well be that the new foam stuff is lighter and more impact resistant.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Old T-bone had a hard plastic insert over the knee, the new one does not. This does not necessarily mean the new one is worse though. It could very well be that the new foam stuff is lighter and more impact resistant.
No way the new ones are as protective as the old ones. The old T-bones were my go-to pad for park days where not much pedalling is required and speeds were high. The hard plastic meant that the pads tended to slide over rocks rather than snag and get pulled down. That's the major problem with all of these 'minimalist' pads these days. It doesn't matter how much foam you stick in there or what kind of memory foam/d3o/rhino semen you put in there, if you go down at speed on rocks, the pad will snag and it's moving out the way.

The new t-bones have less substantial side coverage than the t-bones of old also. That's not to say the new ones don't have their place. The old ones sucked for long days pedaling, but it definitely seems Troy Lee have re-positioned this pad to cover a different market segment.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
...It doesn't matter how much foam you stick in there or what kind of memory foam/d3o/rhino semen you put in there, if you go down at speed on rocks, the pad will snag and it's moving out the way...
I dunno man. I agree with most of what you said in there but pretty sure rhino semen >> rox every day of the week.