Quantcast

If you don't have a bmx bike, you need one.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I've been running an S&M Beringer Bar since about 2004. It cut down to about 25" wide. Makes x-ups easy, but feels a little wierd after riding the mtbs for a while.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
I love this thread, occasionally I stray and ride road or mtb but my bmx is still my main ride. And I firmly believe its the best way to increase overall bike skills.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I love this thread, occasionally I stray and ride road or mtb but my bmx is still my main ride. And I firmly believe its the best way to increase overall bike skills.
Couldn't agree more. I've ridden BMX most of life. Learned to ride at the South Park BMX track. I've only been riding DH and serious mountain biking for about 4 years and I would say I'm a good bit better than a lot of guys you have been riding mountain bikes their whole lifes. However, I have just about no stamina, LOL

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Yeah, the skill level I see on a daily basis riding at Rye Airfield is so far beyond what I've ever seen anyone come close to on an mtb, it's ridiculous. My kid's growing up believing bikes come equipped with a 'flair button'.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I just went to Vans last night to scope it out and see where I stand. Didn't ride...wasn't ready to embarrass myself yet. Turns out...all the guys there are pretty f'ing good. I think I'll be reduced to hanging out with the 10 year olds while dialing 180s and learning how to manual more than 10 feet. Still fun though.

I have to say, it's a completely different set of skills than a mountain bike. Some stuff is starting to come back faster than others. I'm planning on going an actually riding Thursday. Not too bad that Vans is 5 minutes from my house.

And I don't take **** from douchebags... Tattoos or not :)

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I sometimes miss my BMX roots. Being able to manual a couple hundred feet brakeless = awesome. Eating **** on concrete = not awesome.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I sometimes miss my BMX roots. Being able to manual a couple hundred feet brakeless = awesome. Eating **** on concrete = not awesome.
:stupid:

I really want to get a bmx again but I definitely don't get up as easily from crashes not a days. Plus crashing on dirt is much more forgiving than concrete.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It's worth it even if you aren't hardcore about it. I had a blast just riding around in the park and doing basic stuff. Although, I'm sure there's always that desire to get better and that's when it bites you.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
When I learned to bunnyhop up 3-4 stairs into a manual, my BMX aspirations were fulfilled. Anything beyond that, I'll leave to Antonioz.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That's definitely on the list of things I want to learn. My manuals are weak, but even in the last couple days I've had noticeable improvement. It's nice being able to go out around my house and ride for 30 min whenever I feel like it. Night riding the mtb around here is marginal at best. I plan on spending the next couple weeks at Vans.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
I'm finding riding w/ my kid is really pushing me to try **** I likely wouldn't have otherwise.
I figure with a couple solid decades of trail riding under my belt, I should at least be able to keep up w/ an 8 year old.
Of course, I get proven wrong on a daily basis, but still learning a lot and having a good time at it. Be interesting to see what, if anything, transfers to the mtb this season.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I feel like a monkey f'n a football trying to nose manual. The rear either comes up a 1/2" or I'm licking asphalt.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
learn hang 5's first. you have more control. Or, just keep going over the bars doing what you're doing.

Learn how to jump over your bars and land on your feet. Start fliping, spread legs and throw bars through them. land on feet. repeat to infinity.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I feel like a monkey f'n a football trying to nose manual. The rear either comes up a 1/2" or I'm licking asphalt.
learn hang 5's first. you have more control. Or, just keep going over the bars doing what you're doing.

Learn how to jump over your bars and land on your feet. Start fliping, spread legs and throw bars through them. land on feet. repeat to infinity.
i only have mastered nose manuals over a fly box, i was basically just pushing the front end down to come in contact w/ the flat top.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea there seems to be a big difference between jamming the front down and carrying some momentum and actually balancing on the front wheel. Not very good at either, but straight manuals are definitely harder.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yea there seems to be a big difference between jamming the front down and carrying some momentum and actually balancing on the front wheel. Not very good at either, but straight manuals are definitely harder.
which is why i never mastered them. :duh:

also, if you can get your hands on a copy of electronical, awesome awesome bmx flick. i'm pretty sure that odyssee has all the segments posted to their website now.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
... straight manuals are definitely harder.
i once saw a dude busting a manual type move where he popped the front and he stood on his rear pegs (idk the trick name), even going to one foot. he'd carry some strong distance that way. i'm assuming that'd be an easier move than a manual, but still strong.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
did your parents go on some kind of 4 year bender? because that would explain a lot
In the 27 years I've known my parents, I've never seen either drink a sip of alcohol.

However my friends' father (who was friends with my dad growing up) tells me some crazy stories about my dad back in the day. So maybe that's where the issues stem from.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Doing a family trip to Cranx bike park next weekend (20", 24"and 26" wheelz respectively), cannot wait, though I'll probably spend the whole time in the beginner or XC section with the kid!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Went to Vans last night. It was so much fun, although, I definitely felt like the old man. There were some pretty talented kids there. There was a 9 year old that had pretty much the whole place stopped up doing tailwhips and 360s off of a good sized kicker along with grinds that put a lot of the teens to shame.

I'm sore as hell.