Quantcast

ideal seat height

horton

Chimp
Jul 4, 2002
sounds dumb I know but Im not sure how high to put my seat.

Im 5ft9,5inch and have a 24inch haro.
my seat at the moment is pretty low but Im so close to being able to pedal sitting down..

I know BMXs aint about comfort but I wouldnt mind sitting down now and then.

an extra inch on the seat post will let me sit down, but I dont want to screw the geometry of my bike just for the sake of comfort.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by horton
sounds dumb I know but Im not sure how high to put my seat.

Im 5ft9,5inch and have a 24inch haro.
my seat at the moment is pretty low but Im so close to being able to pedal sitting down..

I know BMXs aint about comfort but I wouldnt mind sitting down now and then.

an extra inch on the seat post will let me sit down, but I dont want to screw the geometry of my bike just for the sake of comfort.
Get a quick release.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it really depends on what you want to do on your bike.

wanna ride to the store and pick up a six pack?
raise your seat.

wanna do barspins like the pros?
raise your seat.(not all pros have their seat high but it helps)

wanna jump and throw your bike around and not have your seat get in your way?
lower your seat.

seriously.

you are the only person that can answer this.
if you think it's too high, lower it. or the other way around.

the height of the seat doesn't have alot to do w/ how well YOU will ride the bike compared to others. i've seen people w/ their seat all the way down do truck drivers and double barspins and i've seen people w/ their seats all the way up their ass(really high) do stuff most people drop their seat to do.

the suggestion for a quick release wasn't a bad one.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by pnj
it really depends on what you want to do on your bike.

wanna ride to the store and pick up a six pack?
raise your seat.

wanna do barspins like the pros?
raise your seat.(not all pros have their seat high but it helps)

wanna jump and throw your bike around and not have your seat get in your way?
lower your seat.

seriously.

you are the only person that can answer this.
if you think it's too high, lower it. or the other way around.

the height of the seat doesn't have alot to do w/ how well YOU will ride the bike compared to others. i've seen people w/ their seat all the way down do truck drivers and double barspins and i've seen people w/ their seats all the way up their ass(really high) do stuff most people drop their seat to do.

the suggestion for a quick release wasn't a bad one.
Yeah I concur...I'm pretty tall, 6'4" and my bmx bike is also my commuter so I raised the seat to the level that Hacim recommends...but considering that my knees are pretty high up meant my seat was sky high as well. This was fine for riding around and practicing barspins but the horn of my seat would smack me in the balls whenever I would bunnyhop. So now my seat is pretty much level with my bars.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
yeah i have to agree with everone else
its your seat, you find a good height.
i would just try different heights until you find one you like for all conditions or atleast most..
i did this with my bmx and now havne't moved the seatpost for years..
other than that get a quick release or keep an allen key with you

BUG

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
CoSprings, Colorado
Go with a quick release for a while, until you don't adjust it any more. I've seen a bunch of guys ride seat high for knee problems, comuter, barspin, and also alot of guys low out of the way for all sorts of spining whiping and twisting tricks.
Me and my personal seat height, yeah its not high enough for one, or low enough for the other.... I'm just to lazy to brake out the allen wrenches, and ya know......... it's been like that since I put it together 3 years ago. WOW thanks for reminding me how lazy I really am.

horton

Chimp
Jul 4, 2002
Ive ended up moving the seat up quite high, cos Im using the bike for transport now as much as I use it for fun.

I dont really do tricks on it, just a few jumps - also since I had surgery on my leg my knee dosnt bend so much and the low seat was killing me.