Quantcast

I want to learn how to Dirtjump

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
I recently built up a Burly hardtail for dirtjump and freeride. Only thing is nobody where I live is in to dirtjumping, and there is not any place to learn. I live in eastern North Carolina, and would like to link up with someone who could show me how, and where to ride. I don't expect to learn it all in one day. I would appreciate some real help.

Attachments

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
go to the park in greenville, isnt there on there? if so there is a box jump. practice on it. as far as dirt jumping goes remeber to keep relaxed in the air. let the bike rise and fall approprately, when you land pump down on the bike.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Ifelloffabike said:
build your own jumps

yo it rains alot in the carolinas? how about in the fall? i bet it does! that means you have access to somewhere a vacant lot that has a bunch of dirt in it, and that dirt, after some rain, will be nice n sticky and ready to be thrown around.

so when the dirt is nice n ready for digging, you take your shovel out there and you build a mound of dirt. pack that mound into a ramp-jump, then do the same thing with another mound of dirt a couple feet away.

so put on your helmet and start trying to jump. thats what i did. i had noone to ride with or build jumps with for like 3 years. i just did it all myself, and it was alot of fun.

heres some pictures of dirt jumps and people jumping them

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=list&ptimestamp=232351200&category=5

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
Hey, I live in Fayetteville,nc. Me and some friends have some trails, but it might be a little tight for mtb. You are welcome to come out and try, I currently haven't brought my mtb out there but I am sure it is possible. I might be building a more spaced out line this winter, and maybe some stunts if I am motivated enough.
There are some some trails toward Raleigh that I know mtb guys ride at, and also in Chapel hill.

boostindoubles said:
take your shovel out there and you build a mound of dirt. pack that mound into a ramp-jump, then do the same thing with another mound of dirt a couple feet away.
i would start off with tables so you can get your style down and not eat it before you know how to jump. build small ones first, like four or five feet, steep lips, and work up to at least eight feet. then dig the middles out so you can get your confidence up on jumps you know. then build new ones. if you want to find people to jump with, just hang out at your favorite bike shop for a few hours. you'll find someone.

http://www.getfreestuff.20m.com/whats_new.html
a lil help with building if you need it.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
just take your time, find some guys that are willing to teach you, and give you pointers, then go for it.

ActionHero said:
i would start off with tables so you can get your style down and not eat it before you know how to jump. build small ones first, like four or five feet, steep lips, and work up to at least eight feet. then dig the middles out so you can get your confidence up on jumps you know. then build new ones. if you want to find people to jump with, just hang out at your favorite bike shop for a few hours. you'll find someone.

I would venture a guess that you have built very little if any dirt jumps.
There is a reason you don't ever see table top jumps outside of organized areas, and it has NOTHING to do with how "Kore" people who build the jumps think they are..
It has to do with dirt, and how freaking gawd dam much you would have to move to make even a small table top.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
go to the aba track for jumping tabletops. thats actually not a bad idea. pedalist, go to your local bmx race track thisafternoon and try jumping the tabletops. you can bunnyhop right?

when your riding the tabletops, bunnyhop at the lip. its like your bunnyhopping from lip to lip. i got better at this by cruising down streets bunnyhopping over cross walks and other things that were 6-8 feet long. only difference is when you bunnyhop at the lip of a tabletop(or double) instead of just shooting you fwd like in the street, your gonna get tossed up a bit. its fun stuff!

and just to reiderate~ i started building jumps in a field by myself. the first one was 6 inches tall and 3 feet apart.

thats where i started. a 6 inch double aint going to wreck anybody badly. once you've cleared the 6 inch by 3 ft doubles its time to break out the shovel again. start spreading the little 6 inch mounds farther apart and taller until you can clear it all with ease. it just keeps growing...ya dig?

by the time i abandoned my trails i had a 10 pack with 18 foot doubles. how i miss them

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
shootr said:
I would venture a guess that you have built very little if any dirt jumps.
There is a reason you don't ever see table top jumps outside of organized areas, and it has NOTHING to do with how "Kore" people who build the jumps think they are..
It has to do with dirt, and how freaking gawd dam much you would have to move to make even a small table top.
i agree that moving dirt like that is a bitch, but still, if you don't know how to jump yet, then you don't want to learn by wrecking and badly casing every run, even on tiny tables. it has nothing to do with how hardcore doubles are. it's that tables are no-consequence jumps, and i think that it's worth moving the dirt to learn how to jump rather than diving in head first. literally.