Quantcast

I want a new guitar.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I remember my buddy and I in high school set up our amps on our back patio and cranked shitty metallica riffs at full volume. My dad came home, asked what the fuck we were doing and smacked me upside the head while unplugging us. At the time I thought he was a dick.....now I get it. Oh boy do I get it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Any of you really good at setting action/intonation?
looking for Some suggestions.
on my tele, when I have it adjusted so that the A string is open and in perfect tune, and is also in perfect tune at the twelfth fret, the B note (second fret) is way sharp. This sounds like crap. Thoughts?
Kill it with distortion?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
on my tele, when I have it adjusted so that the A string is open and in perfect tune, and is also in perfect tune at the twelfth fret, the B note (second fret) is way sharp. This sounds like crap. Thoughts?
Kill it with distortion?
if an open A is in tune, and a 12th fret A harmonic is in tune your intonation is correct (and I mean exactly in tune, use a good strobe tuner if you're going to fuck with your saddles/intonation) Then, a fretted note going sharp is more likely due to high action and/or strong fingers on big frets.
Start with the guitar tuned and setup where you like your action to be. Then start checking intonation (again use a real tuner, no clip ons, kthx)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
How long have you had it? Guessing early 90s?

I think I got mine somewhere around 2000 or so? Just saw they discontinued it a few years back.
IMG_20210201_184744842_resize_67.jpg

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Something is hinky, it’s very sharp, even lightly touched. (B note)
Could be nut height issues. If the nut isn’t cut deep enough then you’ll have to press harder and move the string farther to get it to the fret. I’d expect the first and third to be similarly problematic.

Do you set witness points when you string up a new set?

It’s a long shot, but it could also be a bad string.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Kill it with distortion?
saw a good video on youtube by Joe Walsh on setting up your guitar

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I decided to get a bass. Left handed options are available. I have an old Peavey amp. Since Guitar Center closed, not many options are available to try them out sadly. Used Epiphone EB-0 on craigslist ftw.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
C0E94BF4-C339-4DF2-ABA1-C0ECA4DCF50E.jpeg

When you can’t decide which distortion pedal to run, run them all (okay the Pessimiser sat this one out).

Hard to see here but the Sol Invictus actually has multiple output options. I’m running one output into the Dunwich Wizard and 120 with a cab sim, and one output is going straight into the mixer, where I blend the cleaner and fuzzier signals.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
saw a good video on youtube by Joe Walsh on setting up your guitar
Love that guy. I’ve seen that video and it made me want to sit down and have a beer with the guy.
8389E3CB-3E20-4E25-86C8-73852E0CEA8A.jpeg

I just got this new Vintera in white blonde and have really loved the vintage feel and sound compared to the more modern black one next to it.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I took the tele to a luthier who has been building guitars for 30 year, and he was a little stumped at the tuning thing. He has a Fender fret tool, and he thinks they installed the nut a little off. Might be new neck time for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
View attachment 156082

When you can’t decide which distortion pedal to run, run them all (okay the Pessimiser sat this one out).

Hard to see here but the Sol Invictus actually has multiple output options. I’m running one output into the Dunwich Wizard and 120 with a cab sim, and one output is going straight into the mixer, where I blend the cleaner and fuzzier signals.
I gotta get back into geetarz

effect and pedal names have greatly improved

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Oops, just got a new Telecaster.
like Brittany Spears.

Pretty nifty Tele, three pickups, with one humbucker in the bridge, and what I think might be a coil tap.
Might get the blackout pickguard if the one pictured is too gauche.

Last edited: