Quantcast

I think I'm crazy (aka I jus turned 40)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So anyone here that knows me knows I'm more of a DH guy than a weight weeny lycra wearing spandex wanna-be.

Here is why I must be crazy though. I just got talked into signing up for an epic endurance race here in SoCal called the Counting Coup/Vision Quest. I'm doing the shorter Coup, but even that one is around 45 miles with something like 9,000 ft of climbing. My buddy does the VQ which is 55 miles and 12k vertical.

WTF? :confused:

I'm just hoping that I can make the cutoff times and be allowed to finish the race.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
FKNA Dude. You can totally do that.
Just think about how warmed up you'll be around the 18 mile mark when you start that last push.

What IS the time cutoff anyway?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Cutoffs are:
18.7 miles and 4500 ft of climbing in 4 hours
27.5 miles and 7500 ft climbing in 6 hours

Once I get to the 2nd cutoff, I have all the time in the world to do the last 1,000 ft of climbing and the descent back to the finish line.

So all I have to do is average about 1,200 ft of climbing per hour.
Sounds easy, but I'm sure after the first few thousand feet it will get a lot harder.
Oh, and my "xc" bike will be a Banshee Spitfire with a fox vanilla 36. I'll move to more XC tires of course. Maybe Larson TT's so that should help a bit.

Last edited:

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
kinda surprised that the 40's group for xc racing (mine too) is pretty dam good compared to the younger classes. Seemed like the 50 and over group was a drop off overall though (just talking overall, exceptions for certain).

happy climbing and have fun

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You are crazy. I would really want to do that, but not entirely sure I would make the cutoffs. I would just be happy to finish. Mad props.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Also, Luge night right next week if you're interested.
What day?
I have my son next week, but I might be able to finagle a night ride in there.

This week I did a Luge run on Sunday evening on my Spitfire (and ripped off my derailer), Luge again on Monday on my 7Point (that was a beast to climb) and then Oaks on Wednesday.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
when did you sign up, it's been sold out for months. i've been building up to the VQ, hope to do it next year but the race sells out really fast.
Registration opened up on Sept 30th.
Coup sold out in about 8 minutes. VQ sold out in about 20 min.
I was waiting at the computer hitting Refresh on the sign-up link about 4 min before it opened bc I knew how fast it sells out.

Last edited: