Quantcast

I ruin rims

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I've got maybe 30 hours of riding time on my brand new wheelset. I brought the bike in to be tuned in the shop after about hour #10 and had the wheels snugged up and re-tight-ified.

Ever since, I've been checking my spokes after each ride. I've managed to get small wobbles out and re-tightening any loose ones to try and maintain them.

After yesterday's ride, I did the same but noticed a dent and a wobble in my rear rim. I managed to get the wobble out (more or less) but now I've noticed a "hop" in the rim right where the dent is. It's only about a 1/4 inch.

Now, because the conditions have been pretty slippy, I've been running my tire pressure low, probably too low, hence the dent.

So, 2 questions:

Can one get a "hop" out of a wheel?

If one can't get the hop out, I guess I'll be getting a new rim eventually. Would getting a 36 spoke wheel be a worthwhile upgrade?

I plan to keep my rear tire a littler firmer from now on and ease off on the compression damping a little to offset and maintain that uber-plush feel I love so...

Thanks.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
name the rims and what kinda riding you do ... also weight and style of riding .. it all matters

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Transition Revolution 32 wheelset.

160 lbs.

Northshore Freeride. I hit all the standard trails that are considered "expert", but I don't hit any great speed. I think it's the high speed bits with lots of roots and steppy rocks that are killing my wheels. That, and my lack of timing. I seem to be landing when I should be either clearing stuff, or taking off again. "BANG!".

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Getting a hop out is a little more difficult than a wobble...basically the spoke tension isn't even directly across the wheel from the hop (too tight on the opposite side means the hop will present itself as a flat spot, too loose and it's a bump out......hope that made some sort of sense...)

It's a stab right? with disc brakes?

I say tune the rim up as best you can, run a slightly higher rear tire pressure, don't dink around with the rear suspension too much (won't really help the wheel from taking damage all that much anyway), and just bomb away....

I have sooooo many dings and nicks (even a couple hoppy hops) in my rims it's not even funny...still rolls though...

If it's really that much of a pisser...find a good wheel builder and pay him to fix it....bring him a six pack as well...grease those gears of friendship!

(frame of reference: I'm 6'7" 275, ride like a bull in a china shop, don't know the meaning of the word finesse, and have an 36h Arrow DHX wheelset to support me. So far those wheels have survived 2 years at Whistler...)

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This Transition wheelset looks like a Taiwanese special.

No matter what kind of components you use, if it is not built by hand, you won't get the highest quality wheel.

Now the price seems right at $290, but you will have to deal with a lot of BS to keep this wheels true.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It's a stab right? with disc brakes? ...)
You're right, I had a stab, but I've just treated myself to a new Transition Blindside

Upgrade on the bike as a whole for sure, but probably a downgrade from my DeeMax on the stab...

I have sooooo many dings and nicks (even a couple hoppy hops) in my rims it's not even funny...still rolls though......)
Yeah, that's kind of what my gut is telling me. I'm just reluctant to lose that "new bike smell".

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
This Transition wheelset looks like a Taiwanese special.

No matter what kind of components you use, if it is not built by hand, you won't get the highest quality wheel.

Now the price seems right at $290, but you will have to deal with a lot of BS to keep this wheels true.
I'm not sure my "style" merits spending a ton on a swank wheelset. Or are you saying that the Transition wheelset would be fine if built up by a wheel builder? I'd like to get some super durable wheels. I'm not that big a guy, and my DeeMax's didn't stand up to any sort of abuse either. I guess they were just poorly built.

I had a brand new rear wheel come from Mavic last summer. I haven't even ridden it. It has a loose spoke.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm not sure my "style" merits spending a ton on a swank wheelset. Or are you saying that the Transition wheelset would be fine if built up by a wheel builder? I'd like to get some super durable wheels. I'm not that big a guy, and my DeeMax's didn't stand up to any sort of abuse either. I guess they were just poorly built.

I had a brand new rear wheel come from Mavic last summer. I haven't even ridden it. It has a loose spoke.
Mavic is a mixed bag. Their cheap wheels are no better than any Taiwanese wheel company. Their high end wheels are assembled by French wheelbuilders and are the highest quality. I would be surprised a DeeMax or a Ksyrium would be anything but perfectly true.

But if you built up almost any rim, the wheel would last longer.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Mavic is a mixed bag. Their cheap wheels are no better than any Taiwanese wheel company. Their high end wheels are assembled by French wheelbuilders and are the highest quality. I would be surprised a DeeMax or a Ksyrium would be anything but perfectly true.

But if you built up almost any rim, the wheel would last longer.
The French, eh? Well, I guess that explains it. Whoever built my DeeMax went on strike before he was finished with mine.

Ironically, I've sold the bike with those wheels to a Quebecker...

I'm guessing building a wheelset takes a few hours, and labour ain't cheap. So I suppose a hand-built set of wheels must cost a few hundred bucks.

I'd actually consider getting hand built rear wheel. I'll have to have a look around.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Unless you are a Clydesdale or a really rough rider, a 32h wheel will do you just fine.

The machine-built Transition wheels leave a lot to be desired, built by a skilled bike tech. they would last longer.

A retrue of your wheel should solve the "hop" problem unless you've dented your rim.

Mavic have some great quality rims, I'd choose a hand built wheel with a 721/729 rim sporting a descent hub over any "factory wheel".

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The French, eh? Well, I guess that explains it. Whoever built my DeeMax went on strike before he was finished with mine.

Ironically, I've sold the bike with those wheels to a Quebecker...

I'm guessing building a wheelset takes a few hours, and labour ain't cheap. So I suppose a hand-built set of wheels must cost a few hundred bucks.

I'd actually consider getting hand built rear wheel. I'll have to have a look around.
I had a feeling the wheel you had was a DeeMax.

Frankly, I haven't worked with many DeeMax's. I can tell you the Ksyriums I've seen are perfect out of the box.

I think the thing is if you pick a cheaper but heavy wheel build, like a Rhyno Lite XL on a XT hub, you can probably get the back wheel built by a quality builder for around $250.

Jump Chump

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
A, A
Build your own wheels. It's not that hard. Even if you don't do an expert job (ie, skip the the spoke tensioner), you can always loosen all the spokes and build it up again in a few hours. It's actually fun. With a beverage.

Wheel stand is like $30. Spokes are pretty expensive, so make sure you buy what you need.

You can always sell extra spokes to your friends or build up their wheels for a few bucks or a 12 pack.

But you knew all this.

damon

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I had a feeling the wheel you had was a DeeMax.

Frankly, I haven't worked with many DeeMax's. I can tell you the Ksyriums I've seen are perfect out of the box.

I think the thing is if you pick a cheaper but heavy wheel build, like a Rhyno Lite XL on a XT hub, you can probably get the back wheel built by a quality builder for around $250.
I've pulled some less than flawless Ksyriums out of the box. They're usually very good, but there've been a couple of sets that were a little bit off.

Cane Creek on the other hand, I swear they have a factory full of one armed gorillas building their wheels. They're not always done poorly, but sometimes are a total sh*t show.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
For mountain bikes, I still think a regular 32 spoke wheel is the best.

If nothing at all, I have ruined a few spokes from sticks in the wheel, and replacing regular spokes is so much cheaper...