Quantcast

I plan to take a week off this summer

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
And go somewhere and do bikey stuff. Any recommendations, preferably on the West Coast? I know, broad question. Whistler I've been thinking about, maybe Downieville...

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
Whistler for the week before Crankworx - the trails are in primo condition as they groom them for the week of crankworx. I went last year for the fesitval and to ride after and the trails were in really rough shape due to all the riders. If you can stay for crankworx as well, it's a blast!!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Where's a decent place to stay in Whistler? I'd probably drive up, but I'd like a hotel that allows bikes in rooms, given the thefts out of lockups recently. Can you spend a week riding DH at Whistler? I'm not exactly familiar with the area.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Whistler will be jammed the week before cworx. There isn't much affordable stuff left I am told. The Canadian Championships are there that week, and most of the big name guys will be in town playing around.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Transcend said:
Whistler will be jammed the week before cworx. There isn't much affordable stuff left I am told. The Canadian Championships are there that week, and most of the big name guys will be in town playing around.
If anything, I'll probably be going in the weeks following Crankworx, or a couple weeks before.

What's the getrinken age in BC? 19?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
They are two different animals. If you want endless epics with lots of pedalling, some super fast but for the most part not so gnarly stuff, good people but not crazy nightlife, and camping near alpine lakes, then downieville/tahoe area is a good call. If you want...well you must have an idea of what you can get in whistler. You can find good all day epics in the Whistler area as well but for your first trip you might not want to leave the mountain except maybe to ride some of the valley stuff. Or, if you have the coin, to do a heli drop, like maybe Rainbow mountain (pretty sure that's where this if from but I could be wrong - anyway this is the idea):

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Why would I go to Mammoth when I have DV in my backyard, and Silverton is about 5-6 hours away? :think:

This will be a relative "budget" trip (no helidropping :( ), and the two bikes I would take are a 4 inch major XC hardtail and a 45 lb DH bike...I think Downieville is out. Whistler is sounding good. Now to save my money for the sehr expensive trip. And people. Gotta have people.

R

richcreek

if you stay for 2 weeks you can stay in staff, as low as $18 (cnd) a night.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
I would recommend checking out the bb's at NSMB.com. In the Whistler forum they have a post dedicated to the cheap places to stay in Whistler and its pretty informative. Oh and drinking age in B.C. is 19 not 18.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Transcend said:

There is plenty of accomodation left the week before, as well the week of. It doesnt matter when you go during the summer, just book a couple of weeks in advance, and you shouldnt pay more than $85 Canadian a night. The 4 seasons were just doing rooms for $99. The only time I can remember the entire town being booked out was 2 years ago for a Faith Hill concert.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
If you just want to get drunk drive to Tijauana, leave the bikes at home so you don't have to worry about them getting stolen.

There's some place in Idaho that's supposed to be really good but less known, I can't remember what it's called but I'm sure Google remembers.