Quantcast

I made a parts list...is it light?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I made a list of parts I would put on a bike for All-mountain riding, but could easily tackle light downhill and moderate freeride. This is for any bike really, I'm just seeing it purchasing every part seperate will be cheaper then EPing (employee purchasing) a bike (I work at a shop...so this is what I would pay)...

Anyhow, heres my list, it came up to around 16.8 pounds without a bike...but it doesnt sound right, I took the weights off of various online stores, I'm assuming they take some grams off.

Fork - Fox 36 Talas RC2 = 5.1 lbs
Headset - Chris King no thread = 126 grams
Stem - Thomson Elite 70mm = 199 grams
Handle bar - Easton Monkeylite DH = 225 grams
Rear Derailleur - Sram X0 medium cage = 210 grams
Front Derailleur - Sram X9 = 160 grams
Shifters - Sram X0 = 210 grams (both)
Cassette - Shimano XTR = 240 grams
Chain - PC-991 Hollow pin = 284 grams
Cranks + Bottom Bracket - Shimano XT 170mm = 850 grams
Pedals - Welgo MG-1 = 378 grams
Chainguide - E-13 DRS = 245 grams
Brakes - Formula Oro Puro = 614 grams (both)
Saddle - SDG Bel-air SL I-beam = 155 grams
Seatpost - SDG I-beam = 232 grams

Wheel build:
Front hub - Hope Pro 2 = 180 grams
Rear hub - Hope Pro 2 = 375 grams
Rims - Mavic EX 823 = 1160 grams (both)
Nipples - DT swiss Pro Loc = 60 grams (both)
Spokes - DT swiss super comp = 320 grams (both)

So yeah, anyone think this is a logical build/weight?

P.S. I'm considering putting these on a Slayer SXC, or Specialized SX trail.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
damn either your a drug dealer too or greggs has way too much money to pay their new hires
who isnt.

build looks pretty good for to me. i'm not sure if all your weights are correct. the one i noticed was the drs. i think you said 245. i'm pretty sure that it can't be. doesn't it use the same bash as the srs? i weighed one today and i think it was around 245 grams just for the bashguard...

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
I didn't check the weights or anything, but I did notice that you are omitting tires/tubes which is an EASY 4+ pounds... There's also the little stuff like cables and housing...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
you should wait for the new sram Red road cassette. one of the lightest out there. and should last quite well for DH

who cares about cost

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
That adds up to just under 19 pounds. There are 28 g in an ounce and 16 ounces in a lb. Every individual weight seems right. Overall it seems about a pound or so under but after tires and tubes it might be about right.

The red road cassette will be 10sp only.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Nice build.

For an AM rig, you wouldn't need rims that hefty when you can run 721's. You can lose even more weight by losing the 823's and the DRS. DRS is a good system, but the MRP LRP is lighter and works just was well from my experience.

CJM

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
maby try putting together a lighter chain device from the lightest bits of other ones, e.g a gammut front plate on an mrp or e-13 guide should work. how about just running 3 rings?

anyways totaly agree with the guy above, maby dt 5.1, light as most all mountain rims if not lighter but there strong enough for dh. I assume you wana go tubeless though so with stans it works out more i guess

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
maby try putting together a lighter chain device from the lightest bits of other ones, e.g a gammut front plate on an mrp or e-13 guide should work. how about just running 3 rings?

anyways totaly agree with the guy above, maby dt 5.1, light as most all mountain rims if not lighter but there strong enough for dh. I assume you wana go tubeless though so with stans it works out more i guess
I was thinking about running a gamut bash since I'm sponsored by them. And I want a bash because I know I wouldnt use 3 rings often enough, and I like to be able to just ride and not worry about my chain rings hitting rocks and logs.

As far as rims go, I'm not completely set on them...I'm just throwing some ideas out for a build, and I'll refine it in a few months when I actually purchase it all (if I dont get a complete).

And yeah I'm aware my sig is exactly opposite to the thread, but my sig reffers to Downhill/Freeride bikes...this is going to be an All-mountain/commute bike (I'll throw some slicks on her till I get a roadie). So if I could go from my 45lb bighit to a 35lb bike, I'll be really happy.

And last but not least, as far as the Sram Red cassette goes, I may go that way...but its unlikely, since this wont be a downhill rig I want my gears to be a little bit of a wider array from the spectrum.

P.S. The rotors are included in the brake weight, and I didnt add tires and tubes yet because I'm not sure on their weights, dont know what I want, and may consider running tubeless.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
damn either your a drug dealer too or greggs has way too much money to pay their new hires
Nah I'm just thinking ahead for a winter build...I wont have enough money for this till next year though, and in time to ride it in the summer.