Quantcast

I dream of a perfect music player for my car.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Something has been pissing me off with the iPod lately. I can't delete songs directly from it. I get my music the old fashioned way, I download it. I experiment with new music. Sometimes you gamble and sometimes you lose. There are songs on my player that I never want to hear again, but it's such a hassle to take down a list of bad songs and then comb through my library later, when I get around to plugging the damn thing in. I want a simple player, with gobs of storage (preferably something I can swap with a standard hard drive) and I want to be able to delete things straight from it. Is that too much to ask? I don't care how big it is. I'm just going to plug it into my car. I don't jog with it or anything. Does anybody know of such a device?
Rep and kind words will be paid for any information leading to my happy in-car jamming.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love my Sansa player, but you can't delete from it either. But I installed Rock Box and it's awesome.

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
Second the Sansa-- my iPod was acting suspiciously, and I picked up a Sansa based on reviews/recommendations and price. Haven't looked back--

As was mentioned, you cannot delete directly from the player, but having used both (iPod and Sansa) I can say that deletion will me much easier with the Sansa (if you's a PC user...). You can treat it like a removable drive, right click and delete...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I run Linux and just add/delete files at will. The Rock Box software has a better random algorithm than the default software.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My iPhone holds 8 gigs and my library is around 120gb, so I'm always changing everything on it...seems to work well. I used to have a big hard drive iPod (I think 80gb?) and I wasn't a big fan of using it while driving/working out because shuffle was so intensely random...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have a pioneer 6xxx head unit hooked to a 32gb usb drive.
havent popped a cd in a while. just take the usb with me to add a few ripped albums every week or so.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My JVC deck has a USB port on the front and I ca hook my Sansa to it. I have to use the Sansa to play the tunes, but it also charges through the USB, so it doesn't drain.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the ipod is good for some things, and poor in some regards too...i think it's ridiculous that you can't even check the track # from the player w/o having to hook it to a machine and run itunes.

to get rid of songs you don't want, what i do is to assign it a 1 star rating, and then filter for those in itunes and delete.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I have a 8 gig Sansa and I CAN delete right from the player. While the song is playing, hit the bottom button to get to "Music options" and scroll either up one or all the way down + one to bring 'delete song" in to view.(it's kinda hidden).

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
the ipod is good for some things, and poor in some regards too...i think it's ridiculous that you can't even check the track # from the player w/o having to hook it to a machine and run itunes.

to get rid of songs you don't want, what i do is to assign it a 1 star rating, and then filter for those in itunes and delete.
Damn you for beating me to the punch. I use the same tactic for tunes that are improperly labeled. I am very specific about ensuring that my tunes are organized. You can create a smart playlist of all your 1 star rated songs and call it "Fix or Delete".

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I just got an iPhone, but I use either a creative (my old one is still kicking and it's only a 1GB) or an RCA Opal (8GB) to plug into my stereo (has the port). I can delete directly from the Opal and do so quite often as I like to sample random music too. Quite user friendly, (PC click and drag through the USB connection) and they're inexpensive (I think mine was around $50 at Christmastime).