Quantcast

I don't like sponsorhouse.com

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
There, I said it. I don't like how it works and I certainly don't like that many companies use it as their only form of sponsorship requests/submissions.

I recently wrote this letter to Hayes after recieveing an email from them stating that now all sponsorship requests will run through sponsorhouse.com;

Unfortunately with this being the case, then we do not intend to pursue sponsorship from Hayes. This is unfortunate as every member of our race team currently uses Hayes (with the exception of one) and has been extremly satisfied with them for their power and durability. My front brake happens to be the old champagne version and has only needed to be bleed once and keeps going.

I feel compelled to inform you that the reason we will not apply is because we honestly do not agree with the service that sponsorhouse.com provides. I think the idea that sponsorhouse.com emcompasses is a good one, however it doesn't allow for racers or teams to attempt to gain sponsorship with the tried, true, and honestly more professional approach of making contacts and the submisson of resumes/proposals. Instead it puts everyone from your 13 year old grom to professional racer on an equal playing field (unless you are willing to pay fees of course) which I think is very unfair when you consider that a number of these athletes and especially kids who get deals do very little in terms of exposure of the companies they represent and wouldn't know how to professionally approach a company outside of sponsorhouse.com in terms of contacting the company, writing proposals/resumes, and keeping in contact with the company to keep them imformed with what they are doing throughout their sponsorship period.

In anycase, I'll step away from my soap box in order to try to prevent this from sounding like a madman's rant, but I'd just like to express our dissapointment as our race team was very much looking forward to hearing back from Hayes.

Regards,
XXXXXXXX

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
yeah?

If you saw it from the company's perspective, you would understand. They spend way too much money dealing with requests from first year beginner riders and 13 year olds. Companies deal with sponsorhouse to save money- money that can be better spent on product development or customer service.

With a service like this, one person can seperate the wheat from the chaff fairly easily, and not have to deal with all the stupid requests. It doesn't out the 13 year old on the same playing field as the professional at all, as things are pretty well organized behind the scenes.

That said, my journalism degree gives me an advantage over 80% of pro racers who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag. Isn't that unfair to them?

They are far faster then me, but i have almost never been denied sponsorship, as I know how to market myself and my team.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Transcend said:
yeah?

If you saw it from the company's perspective, you would understand. They spend way too much money dealing with requests from first year beginner riders and 13 year olds. Companies deal with sponsorhouse to save money- money that can be better spent on product development or customer service.

With a service like this, one person can seperate the wheat from the chaff fairly easily, and not have to deal with all the stupid requests. It doesn't out the 13 year old on the same playing field as the professional at all, as things are pretty well organized behind the scenes.

That said, my journalism degree gives me an advantage over 80% of pro racers who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag. Isn't that unfair to them?

They are far faster then me, but i have almost never been denied sponsorship, as I know how to market myself and my team.
I agree with you that it does alot to help companies save time and money, and I'm sure that there are automated proccesses that help weed out all of the requests and such on the website, but what about those of us that don't require their services?

I spend alot of time finding contacts and writing a very good proposal and now all of that work that I did is moot and instead I need to go onto a website and follow a certain template?

If it were say similar to monster.com in that I could submit my files and documents I honestly wouldn't have much of a problem with it. I just think it is narrow minded to have only one way to requests.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I ran into the same problem when setting my team up with sponsors for the 2006 season. We lined up a number of sponsors with the 'old fashioned' method. However, we ran into a brick wall with one company that began using sponsorhouse.com this season. The company had sponsored us the previous year, and our team was looking forward to having them for this season. In a nut shell, the company wouldn't review our proposal until we purchased a team account on sponsorhouse.com. To set up an account on the website, our cheapest possible option was $550. None of our members thought it was worth their money to join a website, just to have our proposal looked at by a ONE POTENTIAL SPONSOR. In my opinion, a well written proposal is much more professional than one sent by a website.

Personally, I think the site is a joke. Little Johnny sport racer can pay $50, write a 'myspace' on their website, and get sponsorship from a major bike manufacturer like Turner or Iron Horse. These GRASSROOTS 'sign up and gimme' sponsorships existed before sponsorhouse, and now people are required to pay to apply for them? C'mon, this should piss you all off more than norba! While we're on the topic, I might as well add to the argument; what happened to being a good bike rider to get sponsored? Now, any ol' kid can go online, fill out a survey, and instantly get sponsored. There's no integrity left in the word, its all about looking cool in the parking lot and bragging to your buds about your rad spawnzorz. Hand out grassroots sponsorships and sponsorhouse only add to the growing slum level our sport is reaching. That's my watered down .02 cents, I'm not a regular here so feel free to flame away!

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Banshee Rider said:
I ran into the same problem when setting my team up with sponsors for the 2006 season. We lined up a number of sponsors with the 'old fashioned' method. However, we ran into a brick wall with one company that began using sponsorhouse.com this season. The company had sponsored us the previous year, and our team was looking forward to having them for this season. In a nut shell, the company wouldn't review our proposal until we purchased a team account on sponsorhouse.com. To set up an account on the website, our cheapest possible option was $550. None of our members thought it was worth their money to join a website, just to have our proposal looked at by a ONE POTENTIAL SPONSOR. In my opinion, a well written proposal is much more professional than one sent by a website.

Personally, I think the site is a joke. Little Johnny sport racer can pay $50, write a 'myspace' on their website, and get sponsorship from a major bike manufacturer like Turner or Iron Horse. These GRASSROOTS 'sign up and gimme' sponsorships existed before sponsorhouse, and now people are required to pay to apply for them? C'mon, this should piss you all off more than norba! While we're on the topic, I might as well add to the argument; what happened to being a good bike rider to get sponsored? Now, any ol' kid can go online, fill out a survey, and instantly get sponsored. There's no integrity left in the word, its all about looking cool in the parking lot and bragging to your buds about your rad spawnzorz. Hand out grassroots sponsorships and sponsorhouse only add to the growing slum level our sport is reaching. That's my watered down .02 cents, I'm not a regular here so feel free to flame away!
Oh so true. I spent my $60 only to realize kids I know racing beginner and doing bad are getting the same deals as I am through sponsors. ( I race jr x and do alright) It is a gimmick and unless they can improve i wont give them my $60 bucks next year.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah I realized it was pretty lame when all the kids I smoke every race have around 20 sponsors cause they payed to make theirs look cool and mine was basic. I got 0 sponsors.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Sponsorhouse is a great idea. A streamlined way for companies to connect with riders. Their team sponsorship is a joke tho. A single rider can pay $50 and get sponsored but a team must pay $550? Yeah so theres more people on the team but from a cost perspective it makes 0 sense.

My solution is a team should cost $100. And each add'l rider on that team that wants their won race results/bio should pay $35.

But thats my solution and sponsorhouse is a company looking to make money.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I use it and think it's great. Having been around since the "old" days it's much easier for me to do it this way than the traditional way. Remember sponsorhouse is not a mountainbike only thing, they came from doing MX originally. As for the money part, by the time you ad up the costs of doing it the traditional way, you end up spending a far amount anyways in having nice proposals made, and mailing and just the extra time.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
My college team has about 25 members, so we would have to pay 400$ ?? so we could post more then 2 race results?? no thanks.

sponsorhouse is a good idea, but not for 400$ of a college students money.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I really don't like Sponsorhouse either. I went on their site and found out that the more you spend the cooler your page is and the more sponsors you could get. I think it's creating an unfair monopoly on the sponsoring process.

I like the normal way a lot better. You spend time typing a good letter, throw in some pictures, send to the company, meet the people.... Sponsorhouse turns this process into sort of a commodity where you can buy your sponsors.

I realize that it's a lot easier for companies to use Sponsorhouse than to accept resumes, but look at Six Six One's resume. You fill out some things on their site and submit it to them for free. They got back to me within a few days. Spy Optics has a strict guideline for your resume to follow as well. They don't have to join Sponsorhouse to organize resumes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I dont think many of you realize how much work it takes and how much money it costs companies to sponsor you.

I also dont think many of you realize how sponsorhouse works for the sponsoring companies..you are not "buying" your sponsorship.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Blahblahblah...welfare handout mentality...blahblahblah...I'm a Jr X/feeehucker/random schmoe and I deserve a better deal than somebody else...blahblahblah...I'm in college but can't divide $400 by 25 and realize it's cheaper than paying $55 individually...blahblahblah....I'd rather be indignant and start a thread on RM than suck it up and pay retail for a product that I claim to believe in because the manufacturer won't accept my paper resume...blahblahblah.

Jeezus folks. Nobody owes you a deal. If SH is that bad, STFU and pay retail.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I agree with the sponsorhouse idea in principle, but the amount of money you have to pay is rediculous. Like others, our team was looking to start a team account on sponsorhouse, but the amount of money is just exorbitant.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
except that noone in our club is willing to pay 25$ for a MAYBE.
it's like gambling. I'd rather put in the effort and write good personalized proposals.

and please don't tell people to STFU, if you dont like it, then leave. The boards are made for people to DISCUSS things

JeffD said:
Blahblahblah...welfare handout mentality...blahblahblah...I'm a Jr X/feeehucker/random schmoe and I deserve a better deal than somebody else...blahblahblah...I'm in college but can't divide $400 by 25 and realize it's cheaper than paying $55 individually...blahblahblah....I'd rather be indignant and start a thread on RM than suck it up and pay retail for a product that I claim to believe in because the manufacturer won't accept my paper resume...blahblahblah.

Jeezus folks. Nobody owes you a deal. If SH is that bad, STFU and pay retail.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
I understand and am just going off a little. From what I've heard, pretty much everybody gets some sort of offer so You'd likely recoup your $25 right away, assuming you're paying full price on stuff right now. I agree the $400 or whatever sounds steep at face value, but it seems like it'd pay for itself easily with one frame sale or something. Regardless, nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head forcing them to use the service.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
I see your point. But a college team is a lot more complicated to handle then just saying 'ok , everyone pay 25$ so we can all maybe get some kind of sponsorship from somewhere'. Yes, and nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head, forcing them to ride a bike, buy a bike, or do anything biking related

JeffD said:
I understand and am just going off a little. From what I've heard, pretty much everybody gets some sort of offer so You'd likely recoup your $25 right away, assuming you're paying full price on stuff right now. I agree the $400 or whatever sounds steep at face value, but it seems like it'd pay for itself easily with one frame sale or something. Regardless, nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head forcing them to use the service.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah, the team looks like pricey, but it is the first year they've done a team account. I'd say your best bet is to give them feedback on the cost, they are a company trying to make money, and if the cost if to high for most teams to afford, then I'd say it's something they'd want to take a look at.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wait, so sponsorhouse should be free right? And no one who works there should be paid right?

If you don't like how companies are doing things, trying to save themselves money, then pay retail. It's that simple, nothing says they owe you anything - beginner and pro alike.

Sponsorhouse provides a service that companies and racers find useful. If you don't like it, don't use it - pay full pop at the shop.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
JeffD said:

I agree, $25 is the difference between retail and pro deal on a single stem - suffice it to say you will probably easily save that. If you don't like it, then court other companies for free stuff.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Transcend said:
Wait, so sponsorhouse should be free right? And no one who works there should be paid right?

If you don't like how companies are doing things, trying to save themselves money, then pay retail. It's that simple, nothing says they owe you anything - beginner and pro alike.

Sponsorhouse provides a service that companies and racers fine useful. If you don't like it, don't use it - pay full pop at the shop.

Amen!!

Actually this gets into the problem with alot of people and sponsorhip, it's all about GIVE ME GIVE ME....not a partnership with the sponsors.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
man i'm sensing some anger in some of these posts, but thats alright :)

Anyways, a sponsorship IS a relationship, and that's why i'm willing to take the time and write a good proposal, talk to them, DEVELOP that relationship. If you got the 400$ go for it. I guess we'll just try for companies that don't require the use of sponsorhouse.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MMike said:
You can snowboard. I will ski.....

For sure though.... (Hear about the strike at Tremblant this weekend? Hit 'em where it hurts eh?)
Ah i didn't hear. I may go night skiing at riguad tomorrow. It's $10, so why not. 15 mins away, good for a few hours fun.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Transcend said:
I dont think many of you realize how much work it takes and how much money it costs companies to sponsor you.

I also dont think many of you realize how sponsorhouse works for the sponsoring companies..you are not "buying" your sponsorship.
I totally understand how much time and money teams invest in sponsoring athletes. And like I stated, I think that the idea and goal that sponsorhouse is trying to convey is a good and genuine one.

My problem is that I think that it's a very flawed system and too automated in the goal to save companies time and money. Honestly, I feel if a person (pro's and high-level racers included) can't convey in written word as to why they want to be sponsored by a specific company and propose what they can give to company X or Y with respect exposure and assistance for the betterment (did I just make up a word?) of their sport and the company, then why should they be sponsored? Is the ultimate goal of sponsorship to have a rider in a video or to win races, or is it to have riders that are approachable and can market their company in a way that affects a wide audience? I guess the ideal situation is both. Maybe some of the industry folks in here can answer that.

My biggest problem with sponsorhouse.com is that they already provide a template that every and anyone can use and I think that it greatly hinders riders and racers from showing what their personal ambitions and goals are for being a sponsored rider. It just isn't personable.

Like some people have stated teams could spend upwards of $400 or more on the website. Why would I ever want to do that when I have well written proposal that I could UPS to a number of companies? Besides the countless hours spent working on a team resume and proposal the only other cost to my team would be the time spent targeting specific companies and the cost of shipping out proposals.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
MikeT said:
man i'm sensing some anger in some of these posts, but thats alright :)

Anyways, a sponsorship IS a relationship, and that's why i'm willing to take the time and write a good proposal, talk to them, DEVELOP that relationship. If you got the 400$ go for it. I guess we'll just try for companies that don't require the use of sponsorhouse.

The thing is you can still, i have a feeling in the next couple years your options to do it the old way are going to be limited.

I think of it this way, when companies first started taking resumes via websites and email, everyone was like Oh no, that's so unprofessional, you need to send them on nice paper. Now it's pretty much a given, and a lot of larger companies won't even take them on paper anymore.

Same thing will happen with sponsorhips.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The thing is sponsorhouse doesn't really specialize in sponsoring big name athletes...the guys who get them exposure. Local racers don't give them anything, and they are pretty much just giving racers deals. They look at results (a bit), look at past history and that's about it.

You you want a big deal or are a big name..of course you should contact the marketing people directly - and if you are a big name, they aren't going to tell you to go to sponsorhouse.

IE: I am pretty sure that Sam Hill doesn't have to go through sponsorhouse to get an Iron Horse Sponsorship.

I understand what you are saying - but to them all these local racers are simply product exposure on bikes, nothing more for the most part.

I created a full on business proposal for my team - I send it out directly no matter what, and it nets me every sponsor I ask for (except for under armour - they only want ball sports apparently).

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Zutroy said:
Amen!!

Actually this gets into the problem with alot of people and sponsorhip, it's all about GIVE ME GIVE ME....not a partnership with the sponsors.
Exactly, it is a partnership. Sponsorhouse I believe allows for many unquallified and ungrateful people to easily get some sort of deal (the GIVE ME GIVE ME attitude) by providing them with the means to do so. The people that were once sending emails with spelling errors asking for deals from companies years ago with no idea of how to write a proposal or to convey the message of creating a partnership have all the tools in front of them to gain a "level" of sponsorship despite that these are the same people that used to have their emails go straight to the delete folder.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Inclag said:
Exactly, it is a partnership. Sponsorhouse I believe allows for many unquallified and ungrateful people to easily get some sort of deal (the GIVE ME GIVE ME attitude) by providing them with the means to do so. The people that were once sending emails with spelling errors asking for deals from companies years ago with no idea of how to write a proposal or to convey the message of creating a partnership have all the tools in front of them to gain a "level" of sponsorship despite that these are the same people that used to have their emails go straight to the delete folder.
You have to realize that sponsorhouse also allows these companies to simply ignore hundreds of requests without having to sort through them...look at it as a spam filter for sponsorship requests.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Inclag said:
My problem is that I think that it's a very flawed system and too automated in the goal to save companies time and money. Honestly, I feel if a person (pro's and high-level racers included) can't convey in written word as to why they want to be sponsored by a specific company and propose what they can give to company X or Y with respect exposure and assistance for the betterment (did I just make up a word?) of their sport and the company, then why should they be sponsored? Is the ultimate goal of sponsorship to have a rider in a video or to win races, or is it to have riders that are approachable and can market their company in a way that affects a wide audience? I guess the ideal situation is both. Maybe some of the industry folks in here can answer that.

My biggest problem with sponsorhouse.com is that they already provide a template that every and anyone can use and I think that it greatly hinders riders and racers from showing what their personal ambitions and goals are for being a sponsored rider. It just isn't personable.
You don't seem to understand how Sponsorhouse works. You are given the opportunity to write a cover letter with the request. In the letter, you can explain all of those things that you mentioned. So the service is really not any different than sending the company an email, except for the ability to have a profile that is viewable by others. You can make the service as personable as you want.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Transcend said:
I created a full on business proposal for my team - I send it out directly no matter what, and it nets me every sponsor I ask for (except for under armour - they only want ball sports apparently).
the boy certainly does his homework. . . now if he can just get us that PBR sponsorship we'll be set.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Inclag said:

Oh I know that still happens, I personally have very good relations with my sponsors, most of which came, but not all from sponsorhouse. If you write a peice of crap even on sponsorhouse your not going to get anything, or you might get a scrap thrown at you. Sponsorhouse just gives your a frame work, the content is up to you, if your content blows then you aren't going to do any better than you would have a few years ago.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Transcend said:
You have to realize that sponsorhouse also allows these companies to simply ignore hundreds of requests without having to sort through them...look at it as a spam filter for sponsorship requests.
I figured that.

Maybe I'm just ol'fashioned. Wait a second, I'm only 23 :think: .

Many, in-fact nearly all businesses still hire people the old fashioned way, and while seeking employement in the professional world it is quite difficult to attain a job unless you are willing to network, cold-call, send resumes and cover-letters and in general work your butt off. Why is that the case? Well, businesses want to hire the best and most well qualified people that are genuinely interested in the work they do. For a single job posting, a company can get upwards to 500 submissions in just one day, yet they continue to operate in an older manner.

I just don't understand why this isn't the same case when it comes to sponsorship. By running exclusively through a website that charges fees and in instances levels the playing feild, it blurs what I think are important qualities in people.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I don't like it either.

I had sponsorship from Hayes last year and this year I sent out my sponsorship packet just like last year to a list of contacts I already had. I recieved and email saying that Hayes had gone the Sponsorhouse route and if I wanted anything I needed to pay for an account. It sucks to have to invest the money and time into preparing a packet for some sponsors who don't use Sponsorhouse and then pay and additional fee for those that use Sponsorhouse. As a result I'm not using Hayes this year.

I do think too many crap riders get sponsorship. It waters down the service that higher level racers that travel and place well get.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
General Lee said:
the boy certainly does his homework. . . now if he can just get us that PBR sponsorship we'll be set.
Not if I can get it first :blah:

Oh wait we already have a beer sponsorship :love:

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Sponsorhouse.com is a TOOL.

Yes, they charge too much money for the service. If you do not want the service, then do not pay for it and send in paper resumes. It appears all the better run companies accept sponsorhouse and paper.

Also, if there is a feeling that undesearved riders are receiving sponsorships - blame the bicycle vender that is pressing "Accept" instead of "Decline". Sponsorship is a two way street. More compaines probably press "Accept" because they are just trying to gain more exposure in a small tight market.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Inclag said:
I figured that.

Many, in-fact nearly all businesses still hire people the old fashioned way, and while seeking employement in the professional world it is quite difficult to attain a job unless you are willing to network, cold-call, send resumes and cover-letters and in general work your butt off. Why is that the case? Well, businesses want to hire the best and most well qualified people that are genuinely interested in the work they do. For a single job posting, a company can get upwards to 500 submissions in just one day, yet they continue to operate in an older manner.
I highly disagree with that, most companies are not functioning that way. Most companied larger ones especially want to find someone as CHEAP as possible, if you are larger company who is getting 500 plus a day, most of those peoples resumes won't even be seen by a person. I can tell you from my experince in the pharma world, networking is important, but you'll never get anywhere with a cold-call other than look at out website. They all use computers to scan resumes and kick out ones that match keywords. Resumes in most techincal areas have basically turned into Docs containing key "buzzword" documents.