Quantcast

Hydraulic's suck?

Lamb Chops

Chimp
Apr 5, 2005
i'm in the market for some new brakes and am hearing a lot of horror stories about Hydraulic systems. is this just hype or are they realy more trouble than they are worth? when compared to a avid bb7. any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
If you are DJing, I would say go with the Avid BB7. They are sweet and very adj. But Hydros are sweet, they have great stopping power and there are more then enough hydro brakes to choose from.

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Hydro's have superior stoppoing power and modulation. There have been cases where you wreck and it tears the hydro line off, but it's rare . That's the only downside I could think of.

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
NotQuiteJdm said:
There's no need for hydro's for DJ or street IMO, I'm currently running just a rear Avid mech on my P1 and it works fine.
By that logic, disc are overkill all together. V-brakes work "fine". Properly set up hydro's will modulate tons better than mech. brakes.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I dont know guys, I haven't put serious time on the hydraulic systems being discussed, but my avid mechs with the 203 rotors stop as hard or as soft as I want, they offer total control of lever throw, and I never have to screw around with bleeding or fluids. If user friendly servicability is important to you, go mech. IMO, ability to "modulate" braking comes as much from experience and skill as it does from the pad rubbing on the rotor.

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
Hucknificent said:
By that logic, disc are overkill all together. V-brakes work "fine". Properly set up hydro's will modulate tons better than mech. brakes.

I agree, I just hate the way rim brake wheels look.

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
skatetokil said:
I haven't put serious time on the hydraulic systems being discussed, but my avid mechs with the 203 rotors stop as hard or as soft as I want, they offer total control of lever throw, and I never have to screw around with bleeding or fluids. If user friendly servicability is important to you, go mech. IMO, ability to "modulate" braking comes as much from experience and skill as it does from the pad rubbing on the rotor.
I have experience and skiill w/ both! I am perfectly happy w/ my hayes mech. and not having to replace anymore lines! Just making statements! Info to make a decision is the key here. I'm not trying to sell anything just provide correct info. What's the perfect set up for me or someone else isn't the perfect set up for everyone. Test bikes w/ both make a decision.

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
If your going to use it for street/dj I would personally suggest the avid mech discs. Hydraulics I've used def. brake better, but I've also had a ton more problems with them. The avids, i've had no problems, and they brake very well.

Problems with hydro's in the last few months:
1. lost the rubber plug on the hayes lever reservoir on a climb up the first couple miles of Porcupine Rim, rode the rest of the day with only rear brakes.
2. Had to replace a line on my hope minis for the older style Chameleon with the drop style disc brake mount, lines cost about 5 times as much as cables + fluid.
3. THe bars turned to far on a wreck and pulled the line out of the Hope levers. New fluid and bleeding.
4. The casing on one of the fluid lines on the Chameleon is starting to crack, only a matter of time before it starts leaking and needs replace.

Hydro lines tend to be alot stiffer than cables if you plan on doing bar spins/x ups/crashing.

hope this helps.

bansheeboy

Chimp
Mar 4, 2005
I ran just a rear v brake until a couple of days ago(DJIII is only disc). I just put a hope mini on the rear. It so far seems to offer alot more stopping power. I can see how mechanicals would hold up better than hydros, especially for a jumping bike. Hopefully the Hope's will work. My only other option are my shimano mechnicals which suck.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Hayes HFX-Mags are really the best brakes I've ever used. I just got a pair for my dirt jumping bike after loving them on my stinky. I've had them on my stinky for years with no problems at all, never had to bleed them or anything. Great brakes I think. Mechanicals just dont stop good enough once you've tried hydro's.