Quantcast

hydraulic gyro?

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Who hear would want a hydraulic gyro to run disk brakes? How much would you pay for one?

Somebody on another site had an idea for one, but I have a much better design in mind. I just don't think people would be interested in it enough to develop.

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
The problem is that most people who would want to run a gyro on disc-compatible bikes are using vees so they don't have to worry about smashing the rotor when they grind.

And NO-ONE riding park uses Maguras! :D

Although, come to think of it, a hydro gyro might be good for street riders (see Lenosky in NWD3). I dunno, man....

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by skinny
The problem is that most people who would want to run a gyro on disc-compatible bikes are using vees so they don't have to worry about smashing the rotor when they grind.

And NO-ONE riding park uses Maguras! :D

Although, come to think of it, a hydro gyro might be good for street riders (see Lenosky in NWD3). I dunno, man....
Haha, you're wrong on that one. However I've only ever seen one! A guy here in NZ has an HS33 on his 20", damn that was a sweet ride. A BMX with a brake that actually works! HS33 + chrome rim = instant lockup. Some thought it was too grabby but I loved it.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
I say go for it! I run HS-33's on my street bike/trials bike. It would have to work well though, I love my hs-33's because they are so hassle free.

vdk

Chimp
Nov 9, 2003
Yeah I have been thinking about the samething and also made a first sketch and was also wondering how many people would honestly be interested. However I foresee a lot of interesting problems with the design especially in reliability. Personally I thought it would be sweet if it was done internally kind of like on the KHE bikes. But this would also require the frame to be modified. Just wondering what your approach was to the whole thing and were you planning to make it specifically for BMX or also for mountain bikes.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
well... what about avid mechanicals they are pretty grabby and can fit in the gyro. and for kinking lines why not just use some steel braided hoses they don't seem to kink as easly.

i have thought about how a hygyro :cool: would be cool but that ****ing thing would leak like a son of a witch.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
i just run the front line through my steerer, and the rear line long as ****. i wrap the rear line around my stem/head tube/steerer tube one rotation when in it's normal position.... it's super clean with no cables dangling...

...i get 520 degrees of rotation each way, easily. no kinks at all. no mess. worked like a charm for 6 months and it keeps the lines tucked away from harm.

i also think that a gyro would be totally unreliable, unless you want to enlist some very expensive design/production. something like this is tricky....

here is something no one talks about when discussing this:
are you thinking of having continious hydro flow... ...or are you thinking of interrupting the flow and putting in a mech gyro that works on pushing, not pulling?

i think interrupting the flow would be more reliable....

Aug 28, 2003
Ashland, OR
hmmm, cable operated mechgyro? would that defeat the purpose? I imagine continous would be rather fragile and unreliable. 2 circuits seems kind, of excessive a short thick cable(or 2) would be pretty stretchless. Now we're cookin, I call a seat on the design board.

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
I've been trying to work out a system like that for ages Sven. Big problem I've come across is finding a seal which has suffucuant preload not to leak under the large side to side forces, without causing the headset to be really sticky.

Actually, whilst typing that, just thought that if the "ring shaped chamber" is attached solidly to the stem, and has a soft attachment to the headtube, then side to side forces might be greatly reduced.... thus allowing the use of seals where the preload required is only that needed to withstand the pressure from the braking system. (I know that preload isn't quite the right term in the second paragraph, but it's 11 at night, and I'm tired out from too much food, riding and beer)

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
This is not exactly what you guys are talking about, but it is interesting none the less. It uses a cable with a regular gyro, and the cable then pulls a hydro rim brake.

Cable/hydro gyro

Now that's an interesting idea. BMX racers are already using rear disc brakes. I have sh*tload of different hydraulic swivel fittings at work. I think I'll draw up some ideas on Autocad. You folk mind if I get rich off of your idea???????:eek: :cool: