Quantcast

HT for light DH and Freeride?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Damn, that kid in the vid rips. watching that vid made my knees hurt. I'm not smooth enough or light enough to ride stuff like that on a hardtail fast. If I weighed 135 like that kid it might be easier. Even then, I'm a wussy when it comes to that kind of punishment.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I'm building up a TransAm but not sure if it would be good for the lift only joints. Was thinking a Vagrant my be better for that. I want the TransAm to me my XC/AM ride and the Vagrant lift only maybe single speed

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I sold my dh bike to buy my tickets to get to France back in '01. My first season in Morzine was spent on my dj/4x bike. I loved that wee bike! Passing the pajama wearing boys after they give you the Stare was all it was about. The chainguide sucked on it, so the chain came off for a lot of the season.
Chainless + hardtail = better rider for sure.
Now, 9 years later, I am wanting to get back on a ht. With any luck, a Yeti DJ is on it's way to me soon. I'll keep the dh rig, but there are just days that a ht seems to be the way to go.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Is Sinister still producing the Ridge. I've been eagerly wanting to build one up for the last few months and never got any response from them.

I've been having so much fun blasting around on and completely abusing my Foes Prolite XC hardtail that I think something a tad beefier is necessary.
I've owned an Orange P7 with a All Mountain 1 SL usually set to 140mm and that was one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned. Punching your way through nasty rooty sections and railing corners is just too much fun. I've got to replace that feeling.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Any info on the Kona Five-O? The numbers are close to a vagrant. It's 68 HTA and the seat tube angle and the chainstays are close to the vagrant. I just bought it because it was under $200 for the frame.

Here's the specs. I got an 18" frame:

Geometry : Five-O
Frame sizes 14” 16” 18” 20” 22”
Head angle 68° 68° 68° 68° 68°
Seat angle 72° 72° 72° 72° 72°
Top tube 21.9” 22.8” 24.1” 25.2” 26.1”
Chain stay 17” 17” 17” 17” 17”
Head tube 4.3” 4.7” 4.9” 5.3” 5.7”
BB height 12.2” 12.2” 12.2” 12.2” 12.2”
Standover 29.6” 28.9” 30” 31.2” 32.7”

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I'd add that clipless pedals for dh HT riding are, for me at least, de rigueur. Otherwise, espacially on an alloy HT, you get bounced around a lot and feet tend to come away from pedals...

Anyway, this HT looks hella sweet!! Although I agree that 120-100mm forks with proper geo can get you far and fast! It's a Chromag (http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5515279/)

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'd add that clipless pedals for dh HT riding are, for me at least, de rigueur. Otherwise, espacially on an alloy HT, you get bounced around a lot and feet tend to come away from pedals...
Agreed - it definitely helps keep the feet on the pedals, however it depends on what you're used to and the terrain. I used ride mainly flats. Now I'm mainly riding xc/am, so it's clipless.

Speaking of which, I recently got some big honking tires, so I'm looking forward to having traction and a bit of cush again!

(had been riding a tiny 1.8" tioga in the back, that I had to pump to what felt like 80psi so I wouldn't flat... not much grip, no give)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
yes, it can be done, and you can be fast in a hardtail...
but do you really want to beat up your knees that way?
I used this as an excuse to buy a Dually, the dually made me more confident and it was easier to recover from slight mistakes but I also learnt how much grip you have if you stay smooth.

When I got back on the hardtail I was a lot quicker than I was previously and being quicker meant I skipped over things instead of smashing into them. I no longer have any post ride pain from the hardtail but I do seem to crash more often which can hurt a bit.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
When you have very low skill levels, that's probably true.

This thread quickly separates "image" bike owners from actual bike riders.
I love you hard core attitude :rolleyes:

Its not a question about if can or can't be done. You can without too high of a skill level ride all of Diablo on a HT but that place will wear you out trust me. When I go ride I hope to do as many laps as possible and ride as fast as I can. There is no doubt the same guy on HT vs DH bike will ride faster and get less tired. I also my experience is the DH bike gives you a little more security.

Again I do not know what your experience is but I have done two weekends in Whistler on a Kona Chute HT with 110mm travel. I can be done but I sure had more fun on my DH bike the other times I have been there. I have also ridden Diablo on a 5 inch travel fully with some crappy SPV suspension and again not as fun as my DH bike.

Feb 17, 2010
A, A
Yeah i've actually got experience riding on a HT. I rode alot of stuff with the big boys until I recently built up my giant. I rolled a Kona Stuff with a Manitou Stance up front, basically it really beats the **** out of you. If you are still convinced though, check out the Santa Cruz Chameleon or the Kona Five-o. Both of them are designed for clydesdale/freeride riding, and are solid bikes for it. Either that or check out Norco, they have some pretty sick HT freeride/dh bikes.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
yes, it can be done, and you can be fast in a hardtail...
but do you really want to beat up your knees that way?
I think you're right. There is a point where it's better to go with suspension I think, but HT are still really fun to rip down on once in a while. I did Whistler on the 4x HT this spring and had a good fun day, although unlike that guy in the vid, I stuck too DirtyM, A-Line, and the groomed tracks. I was easily following guys on full on DH bikes, even passing a couple along the way. Priceless when they see you rattle by clonk clonk clonk!!

Even a 4 by 4 bike is some relief over a hardtail

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I think you're right. There is a point where it's better to go with suspension I think, but HT are still really fun to rip down on once in a while. I did Whistler on the 4x HT this spring and had a good fun day, although unlike that guy in the vid, I stuck too DirtyM, A-Line, and the groomed tracks. I was easily following guys on full on DH bikes, even passing a couple along the way. Priceless when they see you rattle by clonk clonk clonk!!

Even a 4 by 4 bike is some relief over a hardtail
It is even better when you are on a HT passing guys on big bikes coming down trails like In Deep, Captain Safety, French Connection, and Joyride. :thumb:

Tough to do that 2 days in a row though.