Quantcast

How to tell if a Hope hub is the XC or Bulb?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I can't find anything that states what really is different between the hubs. I know one has a Ti cassette and the other is Aluminum but I'm guessing........from pics........one is black and one is silver?

Any markings or anything that show or state that a Hope hub is the Bulb or XC?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i could be wrong, brain would know for sure. but i think the bulb has more engagements then the xc. the xc has 24? i think the bulb has 36.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
i could be wrong, brain would know for sure. but i think the bulb has more engagements then the xc. the xc has 24? i think the bulb has 36.
I am sure there has to be some sort of internal differences. I was curious about external differences OR markings on the hub that'd indicate it's a Bulb or a XC hub.

I know Hope lacks some scripture on their hub bodies. That's why I asked :)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
i think the bulb has 36.
Nah, the bulb had 24 too i'm told. The pro II replaces the bulb, and that's why it has the same number of engagements (wouldn't be right if it had less than its predecessor).

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
I'm fairly sure it says on there too. In very small writng just above or below the hope logo. This could have worn off though.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
The logo just has a date that is presumably the manufacture date.

One way is too look at the slope on the hub shell where it transitions from the large diameter section on the cassette side to the smaller diameter center section.

On bulbs the slope is shorter and steeper than xc hubs. Bulbs also have a little step at the bottom of the slope.

xc

bulb

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Nah, the bulb had 24 too i'm told. The pro II replaces the bulb, and that's why it has the same number of engagements (wouldn't be right if it had less than its predecessor).
Bulbs have 36 points, the new Pro2s are 24.
Why I still run the Bulbs... And I prefer the ti body over the alloy, too.