Quantcast

How to remove play in Razor Rock Levers?

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
My levers have developed a lot of play and a sloppy mess.

I bought my bike used and these were already installed, so I don't have any manuals for the Hayes brakes or the Razor Rock Levers. Neither one of the company's websites have helped.

I did a search and read somewhere where this is a matter of replacing the bushings, and seems like an easy thing to do, but I have a couple of ?'s.

Where can I get new bushings? I understand that there is a clamping tool available for installing RR levers. Where do I get one of those?

Any step by step instruction would be much appreciated!

Thanks In Advance
L8R

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Which version of the Hayes lever? The first ones have a single bolt wide clamp and subsequent levers have a split clamp with 2 bolts. I think there's another new one with single bolt too but I assume you have older than that if its a used bike. With the first version you can't do a whole lot except add a shim or two to the surface between lever and housing. The pivot for the lever blade has a split ring on the underside. Remove that and the pin will push out easily. Then you can add shims. The newer ones have a press fit pin with a couple plastic shims/bushings. That pin has to be pushed or pounded out. But you can get new pins and black plastic bushing at your local bike shop. Those first generation Hayes levers had tons of slop. Worked fine but sloppy. I replaced mine with the newer ones.

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
Mine are the newer generation with the press fitting and seperate adjustments for reach and ??? (piston engagement).

What I'm looking for is either a website that will sell me the parts or a supplier. I'm not at the shop (where I work P/T on Sat.) so I haven't checked QBP or SBS or ????. Who carries these small parts?

Also, who makes the press fitting tool?

Thanks
L8R

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Originally posted by BullBiker

I'm not at the shop (where I work P/T on Sat.) so I haven't checked QBP or SBS or ????. Who carries these small parts?

What ever supplier you use to order your Hayes parts from. Look it up in Quality....should be in there.

mtnbikej