Quantcast

how to paint a frame?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I'm going to powder coat my sunday.
First I'm taking it to sandblasting to take the color off.
But I don’t know what to do with the bearings…
Should I take the off before the sandblasting and the powder coating? Or should I keep them in place?
Will the sandblasting do them bad?
And if I'll take them off, wouldn't the sandblasting make the holes bigger?
What should I do?

thanks

DHBIKERPUNK

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
New York, Upstate
take the bearings out, i had my demo powder coated and they said take all link bolts and bearings out. Pretty much take anything that moves or pivots out, especially bearings.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
But
Wouldn't the place where the bearings was, will get bigger from the sandblasting?
And then the bearings will move in there place…?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
You could leave them in if your worried about tolerances. They will get rocked by the media blasting though, so have a replacement kit ready.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Media blasting won't change the tolerances enough to make any sort of difference. I would be more concerned about the bearing holes being smaller after PC. Make sure you face the Headtube and BB after you get it back.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
so
to take them off before sandblasting, and put something on the holes before the powdercoating?

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Theres an easyer way! Theres this product called '' aircraft remover'' it strips finish and primer from metal surfaces. It comes in a can or spray can. Sand blasting takes for ever to remove the paint. this one takes about an hour. All you do is spray it or wipe it on with a brush. The instantly you see the paint bubble up. leave for 30min like that and then wash off and scrub off the paint. I just covered up the barings. And dont let the product touch you IT BURNS!! its a heavy acid but not harmfull to the aluminum. Its in a blue can with an airplane on it.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Theres an easyer way! Theres this product called '' aircraft remover'' it strips finish and primer from metal surfaces. It comes in a can or spray can. Sand blasting takes for ever to remove the paint. this one takes about an hour. All you do is spray it or wipe it on with a brush. The instantly you see the paint bubble up. leave for 30min like that and then wash off and scrub off the paint. I just covered up the barings. And dont let the product touch you IT BURNS!! its a heavy acid but not harmfull to the aluminum. Its in a blue can with an airplane on it.
Aircraft stripper is good, but most places won't PC if thats all you used. When I got my frame PC'd we used Aircraft remover at first and then realized it was gonna take longer to use that than to use sandblasting. It removes paint well from large surface areas, but complicated machines areas, drop outs and welds take much more stripper and brushing.

They blasted my whole frame in about 12 mins. If its a decent PC shop then they should be able to do any MTB frame in under 25 mins.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
o really man I guess the place that I had taken it too had a weak sandblaster because the guy took a while to just see how long it would take to take paint off a small part...
your right about the aircraft stripper on the tight and closed areas it does take some time to get the paint out of there. but works good with single pivit frames

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Aircraft stripper is a pain in the ass, I've stripped quite a few frames w/ it and absolutly hate doing it. I'd almost rather pay the upcharge to have it blasted.
The only thing you should give the paint/blasting shop is the bare frame, no bolts, no bearings, nothing but the frame and linkage completly taken apart. Make sure you face/chase the BB and HT when you get it back.